SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Casey A. Trial

azzalea
12 years ago

This is so weird--I was just saying to DH last night, how Casey sits there looking bored and annoyed and I thought she could possibly do something to disrupt the trial.

And what happened? Sure enough, this afternoon, she became too ill to continue, and they had to close down at 3:30. Maybe she really was sick. Maybe she just wanted a break? I bet the poor jurors, who were brought in from another area of the state, who are being sequestered until the trial is over would love a break. I feel so badly for them. What a tough position to be in, not seeing their families for a month or 2.

Comments (42)

• patti43
    12 years ago

I agree about the jurors. I don't know if the rest of the country gets all the coverage that Florida does, but what I've seen is very boring.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

I've been watching it. She probably wants to get the trial away from the testimony and photos of the remains of that poor child.
    My feeling is that feeling too ill to continue is just a way to turn away the growing sympathy for that child and get some for her.

Betting it ain't gonna work.

• Related Discussions

OT: Casey Anthony Trial

Q

Comments (4)
    GardenWeb does give us a conversation page to discuss things of local interest that are not gardening related and may not attract national or international attention. Quite nice of them to offer this service in my opinion. "Conversations" is linked on the main page and clicking on it is optional. I do find it odd that there are no pepper threads on "Hot Topics" :)
    ...See More

Casey Anthony Verdict!

Q

Comments (15)
    Remember that a "not guilty" verdict is not the same as "innocent." Our standard is "proof beyond a reasonable doubt," based upon the reliable and credible evidence. That's a good thing, even though it may lead to acquittals we don't like. It's true that it leads to unsatisfying results when "everyone knows" (and we don't; we are only going on what we saw in news reports, and I can tell you from experience they are usually very incomplete and inaccurate) that the defendant "did it." But our hunch or even fairly confident conclusion that the defendant did it is not the same as proof beyond a reasonable doubt that s/he did -- and that's assuming that it was what the person was charged with, not something else. I think if you think about it, you will be glad that we have a justice system that doesn't throw people into prison -- or worse -- on a lesser standard of proof, on evidence of some lesser offense, on the basis that they are sleazy people, because the victim is sweet and innocent, or even because the crime itself is so horrifying that we want to see SOMEONE convicted. There are plenty of countries where all of that is standard procedure (check out their relative crime rates to see whether it even works to reduce crime). I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to live in them.
    ...See More

Casey Anthony - New Info

Q

Comments (3)
    As far as I have been able to figure, Casey never had a nanny. According to some theories, this Zenaida Gonzalez was looking at an apartment and had to sign in on a guest list. Some think that Casey saw that list and picked up on the name, as she used this apartment as the place where little Caylee was dropped off in her story to the police. The problem was that this apartment had been vacant for months.
    ...See More

Casey's release

Q

Comments (12)
    It's doubtful that she can fade away since there are lawsuits against her. I heard the appeal of the lying verdicts was so she could avoid having to pay fines or be sued, and the state would pay her attorneys. I hope they never get paid! That's the only upside of the OJ acquittal--he never paid the scumbag attorneys who got him off. Poetic justice. If anyone pays her for interviews, that media outlet should be boycotted! She should not be able to profit from the death of that adorable baby. Casey can run, but she can't hide forever...and I wouldn't give great odds for her safety.
    ...See More
  • monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

patti..i've been on a sensational murder jury. It may seem boring TV watchers, but all this testimony is necessary and there is a lot you don't see and hear on TV. Those jurors are not bored (I hope).

• Linda
    12 years ago

I'm trying to keep an open mind although the evidence looks pretty bad against her. We still haven't heard the defenses side and things can change. The commenters said it was probably a bad time for the trial to end today so I doubt it was a ploy on her part. The last thing the jury will have in their minds is that poor babies body.

She did seem genuinely upset today at the trial. I imagine it was very hard to see her babies skull. She never looked at the teleprompter again after that photo. I do believe she probably was ill after that.

As for the jury being bored, I did hear that a juror fell asleep the other day. I wonder how they can allow that to happen. If the guy naps for 2 hours, he's missed quite a bit of testimony. Yesterday they said the jurors seemed restless.

• User
    12 years ago

I wonder if she's getting a fair trial. So much was let out before her arrest and trial that can she honestly get a biased jury? I think she's already been tried, and found guilty. I haven't been following the trial on tv, or in the paper, but have heard a lot when her daughter was found. I wonder if the truth will ever really be told. What 100% positive proof do they have that she killed her little girl?

• Linda
    12 years ago

Debby they have no proof of that at all. This is why I am trying to keep an open mind. She did some really unfathomable things, like not reporting it for 31 days, going out and partying while her daughter was supposedly missing (now we find out she was already gone at that point), but I guess, that is what circumstantial evidence is all about.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Off and on, I was sitting in my porch chair watching this trial today, and although I didn't see all of it, what I did see was sickening. I literally got the dry heaves a couple of times and they weren't even showing us what those in the court room were able to see - I simply can't imagine the agony of seeing the complete photos.

I am praying that justice is forthcoming for baby Caylee and that whomever is responsible for her death is served due justice, as well.

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

Linda117, it's nice to read that you are trying to keep an open mind. It's just that you seldom ever see or hear people say that. Most often people are so quick to judge based on the slimmest of "evidence" or even things like "the defendant "looks like" a robber, rapist, murderer, or ______ (fill in the blank).

The on-line comments in our local newspaper makes me wonder if a person could really get a fair trial. Because often times there is really a linch mob mentality and no such thing as get both sides of the story.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Casey was acting the same way her mother Cindy did when Cindy had to listen to the 911 tape of her calling police that someone kidnapped her grandaughter. This sounds harsh, but I was wondering at the time who the best actor was - Casey or Cindy.

Well, I keep going back and forth on who's guilty of what. We may never know.

• workoutlady
    12 years ago

Well I can say I haven't been following this trial at all. I really don't have any idea what is happening in this case. I have heard of this case but I haven't heard much at all. I didn't even know this case was going to trial. I do hope that she gets a fair trial and that the right person is convicted.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse, I couldnt disagree with you more. I didnt think either the mother or her daughter were acting. To me, they really seemed to be devastated. I welled up just watching her today.

There was a trial here a few years ago. It was a rape case against a man. They claimed he had raped a 14 year old girl. Everyone had him convicted, hang him, cut his testicals off, shoot him, etc. It was all very bad. In the end, it was found out that the best friend of his wife (which he was going thru a divorce), had talked her daughter into claiming he raped her because her best friend (the guys wife) wanted to get custody of the kids. The best friends mom was a police officer so pressing charges was easy. You just never know what is really happening until you hear it all.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse--I'm with you. BOTH Cindy and Casey have proven themselves to be accomplished liars, but have been caught at it over and over. Talk about apples not falling far from the tree.

The thing is, even though I detest Cindy (and George), I find myself feeling a bit sorry for them these days. My gut feeling is that he didn't molest Casey, NOR was he the one who found and held drowned Caylee. It seems that she's just trying to throw anyone and everyone under the bus if it will save her hide. Horrible thing for her to claim, if he didn't do it--and even experts in incest that I've heard discussing this seem to be leaning toward that never happened. And it's practically impossible that Caylee died by drowning--there'd be no reason to duct tape her mouth closed if she was already dead. That's something one would do to a live person, not a dead one. What a terrible, terrible family tragedy, no matter who did what.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

i think she's lied so much she's beginning to believe herself...the normal parent, if their child is missing for a matter of minutes, panics...

i was at a soccer game sitting in the car and saw dgd head to the porta-potty...i sat watching til she returned to the playing field...i didn't once and was on cell to dh making sure she was ok...

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

The timeline, the lies, the clues they do have....it seems pretty clear to me that she is guilty. I am looking forward to hearing the defenses side though. It just seems so outlandish. Why would they need to go to great lengths to hide a body if she drowned??? I'm also mad that is that was the case, she sat back and let all the searchers search day after day. Wish she could be billed for that. The only way to decide for yourself is to watch the trial and/or read the emails sent amongst the family, read transcripts and watch videos of the jail visits and police interviews, etc. It is all online.

My theory-Zanny is the street name for xanax. She used that to put Caylee to sleep while she partied. After her source ran out, she researched chloroform. Caylee accidently died from it. She couldn't let amyone find out the terrible truth so she hid the body and set the stage for a kidnapping.

• country_bumpkin_al
    12 years ago

I haven't watch any of it, but now I'm curious! What channel is it on?

• User
    12 years ago

See Lisa. You prove my point. You have her tried and convicted already. You would make the worst juror. Sorry, just had to say it.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I really have no opinion. I didn't follow the investigation and now I'm not following the trial. But I have faith in juries. They get all the "evidence" and decide. But I am curious about the verdict-will she be convicted ? What will be the sentence?

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

I would be a horrible juror in her case too because I find it impossible to believe that she didn't do it and acted the way she did for a month without going to the police. I've had both my kids lost in stores before and the panic you feel is unbelievable. Alex was about 3 and hid in huge Ace hardware store, under a riding mower. We were looking at heaters, talking to a salesman and when I turned around to make sure he was there, he was gone. After looking for 5 minutes I was in tears because I couldn't find him and ready to call the police. 30 days? No way. Not only that but she wasn't the one who even called, it was her mother.

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

I just don't understand how anyone could have a small child missing for 30 days and not even tell anyone.. AND go out and party and all.. This is what makes her look guilty to me. I don't know of any human being that could do this.. I look at pictures of this beautiful little girl and see the pictures of her Mom out partying knowing she is missing. It makes me sick. I have granddaughters this age. I could never do this to them.

• dotmom
    12 years ago

What I'm having a hard time with is, believing a mother could cold-blooded purposefully kill her child. I'm leaning towards an accidental death, through the mothers act of sedating the child so she could party, then panicking about what to do with the body. I AM NOT IN ANY WAY MAKING UP AN EXCUSE FOR HER. If this happened, she should have fessed up, told someone and take the consequences. Instead of the sham she invented. She seems to be a pathological liar, and maybe after she makes up a story, she herself believes it to be true. Bottom line, I believe she is guilty of the death of her child, in some way or another and should pay.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

The little pink heart-shaped sticker, found on the duct tape on Caylee's face, has been found on other items belonging to CASEY! I know that, by itself, doesn't prove her guilty of killing her daughter, BUT, it sure points to her being involved some way.

My theory #1:

It has been said that she used a portion of a Zanax to put Caylee to sleep so she could go out, but she could no longer afford the pill, so she went with homemade Chloroform, and I think she overdosed her, panicked and the rest is being revealed step by step. She made a diary entry, stating that she was confident she made the right decision, that certainly could point to her killing her daughter. The entry stops short of specifying 'what' and 'who'.

My theory #2:

I think Cindy's continual challenge of Casey's lifestyle could have also made Casey act in revenge mode, but I don't think how and why Caylee was killed will ever be known.

The bottom line is the baby is dead and everything leans to Casey having a hand in the dastardly deed.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Dotmom, that's exactly how it sounds to me.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it's definitely hard to imagine any 'real' mother killing a child. BUT you have to look at the circumstances here. Casey wanted to put Caylee up for adoption when she was born--Cindy wouldn't permit it. Cindy took over the raising of Caylee--telling Casey she wasn't a good enough mother. Casey was still a child--a very spoiled child, and having a baby she didn't want in the first place was a huge hindrance to her partying. She is quite obviously a damaged human being--having serious emotional issues. We're not talking about a normal mother here. We're talking about someone who is SO narcissistic, that when her baby's photos were being shown, when she could easily pick up on the sympathy for the child in the courtroom, she had to bring the attention back on herself by claiming to be sick. Casey isn't a normal, healthy person, with normal feelings or normal reactions--so it's not quite such a stretch to imagine her committing cold-blooded murder.

And cold-blooded it was, IF she was the one at the keyboard researching chloroform, neck-breaking, and other life-ending injuries on the home computer (when both Cindy and George were alibied by the fact that they were at work).

Just going by the evidance that's been presented so far--it looks as though there's no way she's NOT guilty. But it is circumstantial evidence, we haven't heard the defense's case, and you can never predict which way the prevailing winds will blow the jury. Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the end.

And just a side note--I'm not now, never have been a fan of the idea that people should be able to get off paying for their wrongs by claiming they're mentally or emotionally deficient. I don't support that as a defense. In this case? Just the fact that the perpetrator HID the body is proof they knew that they'd done wrong--so no free passes needed here, IMO

• suzieque
    12 years ago

>> What I'm having a hard time with is, believing a mother could cold-blooded purposefully kill her child.

I don't disagree with you, in tht I can't fathom it, either. But it happens, and not as rarely as one would think. Cold blooded murder. The mother who drove her car with her 2 little boys into the river. The mother who drowned all of her kids in the bathtub. The mother who, just a few weeks ago, killed her 6 year old boy and left him on the side of the road. So even though we can't imagine it, it happens, and I do believe, from what I have heard (not proof!) that Casey killed Caylee.

If I were a juror, I would listen to all of the arguments, expect to learn way more than what we're getting from the media, and then make a decision according to that.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

country b...it on cable ch truTV, then at 3 switches to hln tv...

• country_bumpkin_al
    12 years ago

Thanks Susan! I'm thinking I no longer get that channel! I'ved downgraded so much, I'm not even sure what I get anymore!:(

• azzalea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HLN is covering it pretty solidly from 1 PM on each day--with extensive reports in the morning. I don't get CourtTV anymore, either, but HLN is doing a fair job with it.

Nancy Grace just made a good point, for what it's worth--she said all day yesterday, Casey only used ONE Kleenex. Hm, If I were crying all day, I don't think one would do the job, but maybe that's just me........

• Linda
    12 years ago

I CANNOT Stand Nancy Grace. She is such an opinionated loud mouth who never lets her own guests get a word in. She has made a career out of the death of her fiance. It sickens me. I watched the trial yesterday. No matter which side of the fence you're on, everyone of the commentators and people that were in the court room agreed Casey's tears seemed genuine. I believe they were, I cried just watching her. SHe used many more than one tissue.

• bee0hio
    12 years ago

I've watched plenty of "crime tv" where they present a true case from the prosecution's view point, then the defense. The first half of the show you're absolutely convinced that the defendant is guilty. Then the defense is presented & you're like .... ut oh, hold on, the defense has presented information that is totally plausible & you have a whole lot of reasonable doubt.

The press that follows these high profile cases has no interest in being fair & honest..... it does not $ell. We only hear & see one side. We're never fed anything that would cast doubt on the "chosen" perpetrator. Look how the parents of Jon Benet Ramsey were strung up, stamped guilty. I can well remember that some thought Elizabeth Smart's dad had some "appearance" or "behavior" that absolutely convinced them that he was guilty of being involved with her disappearance.

I hope Casey gets a fair trial & I hope the jury reaches the right decision.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

The evidence is not slim in the least. I, too, hope Casey gets a fair trial and is convicted of the death of her child. Whether it be first degree murder, second degree murder, or manslaughter, whatever, she is guilty and needs to pay for her crime. And hopefully be in prison until long after her childbearing years are over.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

Debbie don't get your panties in a wad! I said I am looking forward to hearing the other side. I can't imagine how they will explain their side. I guess we all will make poor jurors if we are gathering opinions from the testimony and transcripts of the police interviews, jail house phone calls., emails, letters, EVIDENCE, etc. It really ticks me off how the police and public were searching for a child she knew was already dead whether by homicide or accident.!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

What if the child did die by an accidental overdose and Casey couldn't face the wrath of her parents and decides she has to make Caylee disappear so she makes that horrible decision yet feels badly so she tapes the mouth and around the head so that no bugs get in to her and then proceeds to deliberately go wild partying to make her family believe that everything is normal. When she ever planned to tell them Caylee was gone is a mystery but this whole case is a mystery. Dr. Drew interviewed the father's first wife who said he was an inveterate liar about everything so Casey learned at their knees. Obviously she's got some severe psychotic tendencies. I hope the truth will prevail.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

yay....with your explanation, Casey is guilty of at least abuse of a corpse.
    I never believe first wives...they often bash the ex.

• User
    12 years ago

It really ticks me off how the police and public were searching for a child she knew was already dead whether by homicide or accident.!

Aren't they still trying to prove this to be fact? Did she admit to this?

I'm not saying I believe she's guilty. I'm not saying I believe she's not guilty. I'm saying until there is 100% proof of her guilt, she is "innocent UNTIL she's proven guilty by a court of law"

and who says I wear panties? ;-)

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I'd make a terrible juror. I never for a moment bought any of the lies coming out of Casey's mouth. IMO, she's a spoiled little slut who is at least a sociopath. The Google searches proves she wanted the kid gone so her life of partying could continue. Her parents aren't the best role models but she would have raised the kid if Casey didn't want her.

• magic_arizona
    12 years ago

Yes, She has admitted that the child has been dead since the 16th of June, the last day the parents saw her alive.

And, I know we have had this conversation before but she does not have to be proven 100 percent guilty to be convicted. She only has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. She will not walk from this because even if she doesn't get 1st degree, she is also charged with manslaughter, child abuse, lying to the police and other things.

The prosecution just introduced the heart shaped stickers that they found in Caseys room. The same stickers that they found placed over little caylee's mouth when they found her. I too am anxious to hear the Defense because I don't think they have one. The State has way to much provable evidence and all the defense has is what Casey "says".

This is a circumstantial case but so was Scott Peterson's case and he is sitting on death row.

The best they can do, IMO, is save her from the Death penalty.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

"I never believe first wives."

That policy will keep you from benefitting from another woman's experience.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

The Defenses opening statement was Caylee died on June 16th due to drowning in the family's backyard pool. Casey suffered years of abuse (sexual) from her Father and also her Brother. Because of that she lived in denial and learned to act if everything was normal and she lied about everything to make it so. They claim Casey's Father found her in the pool and disposed of the body because Casey's Mother would never forgive her. He then tried to 'frame' Casey to make it look like murder. Somehow they are tying the meter reader who found the body into this as well. Her lawyer repeated a few times 'follow the duct tape trail'. We shall see.

Imagine if they can find a link between George (Casey's Father) and the meter reader! This case would be turned upside down!!!! Say George did hide the body, told the meter reader where it was and asked him to report it and keep the reward!!???!!! That would explain the 3 calls he made over a period of months. He called but the police didn't find the body. One cop was fired over not taking the call seriously. Remember Dominic Casey (the Parents lawyer) was seen walking around that area with a cell phone prior to the body being discovered.

She cries during the testimony when the jurors are present, but laughs and jokes when they leave the room at times.

This case has so many twists and turns I can't help but watch and speculate.

• izzie
    12 years ago

There is one thing I haven't heard anyone mention. Casey had made up her lies about working at Universal and having this pretend nanny. Sooner or later she was going to get caught because her Caylee would start to be more talkative about what she has been doing during the day when Casey is supposed to be working. I just don't get how she bamboozled her parents for so long. What did Casey do all day? Did she come back home after George left for work. Had she been stealing money for gas for her car etc. for 2 1/2 years?

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

She was convicted of stealing checks from a friend and emptying her bank account. She stole from her grandparents, and her parents several times. Still how long could that money last?

• azzalea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And don't forget about all the times she ran out of gas--it apparently happened repeatedly. I'm guessing at that point, Daddy would bring her a can? (really haven't heard how that was handled, just know it was over and over, and he had gas cans in the shed).

• kayjones
    12 years ago

It is now being reported that the canvas laundry bag AND the black trash bag little Caylee's remains were found in are similar to other such bags found in the Anthony home. Several sheets of stickers (like the one found on the duct tape around Caylee's facial remains) were found in Casey's belongings in the Anthony home.

Adding all the prosecutor-presented components together, I think it's quite evident that SOMEONE in the Anthony home is guilty - now, they have to connect one of them to doing this evil deed, but how - there are no eye witnesses.

I have heard a number of legal beagles say she will be acquited, because there's no proof that she actually killed Caylee. I am continuing to pray for justice for Caylee.