SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Oh Carp! (Long)

Cherryfizz
15 years ago

I'll be swimming like a carp before you know it if these heavy downpours keep up, My basement is FLOODED!

I woke up this morning to a flooded basement - both sides are flooded. We had some more bad storms during the night. I couldn't figure why the cats were bothering me all morning when I was in bed - poor things couldn't get to their litter boxes. LOL

I didn't know I had flooded until I stepped onto the landing to go down to the basement to do the laundry that I was going to do last night before bed but I was too tired. Guess where all the laundry is? Yep, floating on the water. All my sheets, most of my undwerwear, chair covers, etc. Why didn't I do it last night....I was so tired I went to bed at 10:00 pm which is very unusual for me.

My shop vac is down in the laundry room too - with the cord on the floor. The water is about 6 inches deep but for the most part is clear water thank goodness.

I have been on the telephone for most of the day first trying to contact my brothers to find out what to do. Then I called my cousin who used to clean out sewers but he gave his equipment to his friend but his friend is now retired. I talked Kenny's wife and she said he is at the Elvis/classic car show at the riverfront with his brother and my brother Donald.

I put a call the City Public Works Department and the only person I could speak to was a security guard who didn't know which end was up. He took my name down but said he didn't know what I should do next.

Neighbour Ken is playing tennis but Freda said to call him in 2 hours but what can he do.

I called my insurance company to see about clean up and I spoke to some friendly people and they gave me some names of construction companies who can assess where the water came in and do any restoration. My deductible is $500 and I just paid all my bills so I am short of funds right now and only have $200 to get this cleaned up so I will have to figure out a way to do the clean up myself - any ideas?

My baesment isn't finished thank goodness. I am worried about my washing machine and dryer and furnace though and my freezer too which thankfully is empty and unplugged.

My duckboots are down there too. I had to go down in my barefeet through the water so I could bring a cat litter box up onto the landing.

Even though it has been hot and muggy I haven't had my air condioner on yet but because the house is so damp now I just turned it on to help and least it doesn't smell damp upstairs now.

Where is a man when you need one????

I guess I will have to wait for the water to recede or at least hope it does. I don't know why this house doesn't have a sump pump like everyone else around here has. The Riverside area that I live in is prone to flooding but since the new storm sewers were put in 30 years ago I have only flooded once.

I am so glad I kept my flood insurance becaause a few years ago the insurance company changed the policies and because I already had the flood insurance the policy was grandfathered in.

Guess where my sewer clean out trap is - yep, in the baseement. Oh, what a mess this is going to be.

I'm hungry too - I haven't eaten or had anything to drink yet today. I can't flush my toilet so I will have to go down the street to use Mrs. Moore's bathroom when I need to - LOL which is now and she isn't home from dialysis yet.

Silly cats don't know what to think of the litter box on the landing. Chloe spreads the litter everywhere too when they use it.

I guess I can't do anything right now until the water recedes or Ken or my brother David or the city guys show up.

I've been so busy since Wednesday and I haven't been home much and thought I was going to have a nice relaxing Canada Day weekend. Guess not.

Oh Carpola. LOL

Anne

Comments (11)