SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Honorary MD's -- Help with DH's sore face please

chisue
14 years ago

We're not certain what DH has. One dermatologist 'thought' it 'probably' was roseacea. He can't get in to be seen by a new dermatologist until Saturday. In the meantime...all help and ideas welcome.

This started two years ago -- very mild -- red patches on his chin. Went away.

It came back again this winter, *before* I got pneumonia and he got bronchitis in February. It's gotten steadily worse since March. It faded briefly when he was put on 100 mg Minocycline once a day at bedtime. (He's still taking this.)

(I've posted about his experience with this MD. DH called to ask about any problems with staying on an antibiotic long term. Asked if there was a topical he could use. Nurse said to try Metrogel; she called in a prescription. Third day he used this -- just on his chin -- his whole face lit up like a stoplight. Went to the MD, who said, "Oh, you've had an allergic reaction. Why are you using this? Here, take this Prednisone for three weeks." Hence, the appointment with a new dermatologist.)

Now he's been off the Pred. for a week and is a little improved, but he still has red, crusty -- even weeping sometimes -- patches all over his cheeks and chin. I don't know what's residual from the bad topical and what's the 'normal' problem -- whatever THAT is.

Anyone had experience with anything that sounds like this? Roseacea? Something else? Anything help? (Anyone take antibiotics long term?)

Comments (12)