SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovechocolate_gw

Wills, trusts and all that stuff

ilovechocolate
14 years ago

I'm posting this here because this board gets alot of active compared to retirement or finances.

I'm in the process of my estate planning and looking for an attorney to get our docs in order without he/she charging an asternomical sum (I understand these things can costs a few hundred). DH and I are in our early 50s and we've never had a will. We have no kids. I don't plan on leaving anything to anyone, though I may establish some educational grants/scholarships once I learn what I need to do there. DH doesn't plan to leave anything either except some trains and coins to a nephew.

We own a property valued at $415+K at the moment, along with the usual savings vehicles. We plan to stay in this home at least through retirement then possibly downsize, unless we can keep up with the pool, many gardens, lawn and all that maintenance. We owe 9 more years on this house.

I'm wondering what specific legal documents should I be getting drawn up such as living trusts, wills, etc. based on the info I gave you. I don't want an expensive lawyer to take advantage of us by saying we need docs that aren't necessary.

I'm aware the POA and will are the biggies. What else? Also, has anyone used services like LegalZoom and the like online? Thanks.

Comments (21)