SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Weird experience: Closing down someone else's home

rosemaryt
13 years ago

This is the third time I've cleaned out someone's long-time home. First was my aunt, and then my mother and now my father. It's such an odd feeling, sorting through all their paperwork and photos and stuff and realizing that all this *stuff* represents their life in a way, and is a thumbnail picture of their decades on this earth.

It's just such an odd feeling. I look at photos and I have no idea who these people are, and I have no one left to ask about the photos. Ditto on love letters and paperwork. Part of me wants to save it, but the other part of me is so aghast at all the clutter in these houses that I want to run home and throw out all of my own personal possessions!

But the point is, I'm still mentally sorting out the strong feelings I have about the "process" of picking through all the earthly possessions of someone else, and tossing 99.995% of it into the trash or charity pile, and then keeping maybe .005% for my self.

Has anyone here cleaned out a house for a loved one? Please tell me how you felt about it, and how you reconciled the fact that when they leave earth, you've got nothing - materially - but 76 big green garbage bags of trash and giveaways to represent their earthly life.

Rose

Comments (40)