SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uxorial

Pet Sitting

uxorial
14 years ago

I didn't want to clog up the other thread about cat sitting with my thoughts, so I'm starting a new thread. Let's use this thread as a place to post comments and suggestions about pet sitting in general. What works for you? How often do you have a pet sitter come to your home? How long have you left your cats alone, without a pet sitter? How much do you pay your pet sitter?

I'll start the conversation. We have two cats (ages 17 and 13), a giant breed dog (age 7), and a couple chickens. We always board the dog when we travel. For the past two years or so, we've had a friend do our pet sitting for us. He comes in once a day, tops off the food and water, checks on the chickens and feeds them if needed and gathers eggs, waters plants, brings in the mail, and anything else I ask him to do. We don't pay him (he won't accept money), but we do "trade" favors with him throughout the year as payment.

We've had a pet sitter in the past, and that worked out fine for the most part. I got kind of annoyed when I found out that the woman I thought was coming (and who I had explained everything to), got her teenage son to do her assignments instead. She also would bring her nosy husband along, and I think he probably looked through our mail while she scooped the cat box. Whatever. I stopped using that service when our friend agreed to do our pet sitting. We were paying the service about $17 or $18, which was a little higher than their regular rate, because we live out in the country.

Regardless of who does our pet sitting, I always leave a very detailed note that includes our phone numbers, where we'll be staying, what to do, etc. Here's my typical format:

We will be arriving at xxxxx hotel around 1:30 p.m. on April xx. We will have our cell phone with us (xxx) xxx-xxxx, so call that number if anything is wrong. We will be getting back at about 11:00 p.m. on x. If you lose your gate or house key or cant come over, call xxxxx, our neighbor, at xxx-xxxx. He has keys to the gate and the house.

Would you please get our mail out of the box on your way in each day? WeÂre not expecting any packages.

The cats are still spending most of their time upstairs. Lucy has been sleeping in the cat "tent" lately, so look in there if you donÂt see her right away. Please top off the water each time. They will probably have plenty of food. There is more dry food in the blue container. Please scoop the litter box; put the waste in the green bucket. The litter box shouldnÂt need to be changed until we get back.

The cats can share half of a can of food each time you come. Chop it up a little on the plate and separate it into two piles so they donÂt knock heads. I usually put the plate on the floor next to the dining table. Put the rest of the can in the fridge until the next time. Put the empty can and lid in the sink.

Chickens---Check their food and water every couple days. You probably wonÂt have to refill either. Check to see if they have laid any eggs, and put them in the fridge or set them on the counter.

Please fill the outside bird feeder on the dogwood tree with bird seed (the bag is in the office). Also sprinkle some seed on the ground around the tree.

I'm just posting this whole note so you can see how detailed my instructions are. I don't want my pet sitter to have any questions!

The kennel at which we board our dog has requested that we have a note on file at our vet that explains what level of treatment we authorize, should our dog need emergency treatment while we're away. Here's that letter:

Dear doctors and staff,

We, the owners of Akayla, a Central Asian Shepherd dog, hereby authorize the doctors and staff of xxxxxx Animal Hospital to treat Akayla (up to a maximum of $10,000 [ten thousand dollars]), if contacted by xxxxxx of xxxxxxx pet boarding. This applies only if Akayla has become ill or been injured while being boarded at xxxxxx and Ms. xxxxxx or the staff of xxxxxxxx has made a reasonable attempt to contact us and our emergency contact person by telephone. No treatment over $10,000 is authorized without first contacting one of us.

I hope that these two letters help some of you who use pet sitters and/or kennels.

Would anyone else like to post about using pet sitters and house sitters?

(I really wish we could find someone to stay at our house while we're away. The problem is that we live too far from everything, and everyone we know either works or has kids and can't "live here.")

Comments (23)