SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richardyc

Did we ever see a kitchen remodel that we didn't like on here?

richardyc
15 years ago

It seems like everytime someone posts their kitchen remodel, it would follow by tons of 'awesome', 'totally loved your new kitchen', etc replies...Did we ever see one remodeling that we didn't like? Are we all just being nice on here? To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with some of the new kitchens here. :)

Comments (131)

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was thinking about this on and off today, and logged on to post my thoughts, only to see that a few others beat me to it. Redroze said exactly what I'd have said, but better. I look at lots of kitchens I don't comment on, but not because I don't like them. It would be a shame if people start to interpret comments or the lack of comments on their kitchens. Most of the time I'm just in a hurry. I always feel guilty then, when I ask a question and people take the time to give very thoughtful answers. I probably comment on pictures only rarely, when something has really struck a particular chord with me.

I've only ever been to this forum and one other, and on both, most people are exceptionally civil and considerate of feelings. From that, I've learned a lot. I can be a little brash sometimes, and have been humbled many times here by people who know more than I do, or who express themselves better.

In short, I'm very appreciative of this site, and want to stress again that I hope people don't assume anything hurtful from responses they get.

Happy New Year, everyone!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have one thing to add to this thread. What a boring world it would be if we all had the same taste.

• Related Discussions

'We didn't have the green thing back in my day.'

Q

Comments (38)
    There's a lot of truth to many of the things brought up, and people wax nostalgically about "the good old days" but not many people really want to go back too far. Few will give up their cell phones, cars, remote controls, cable/satellite TV, microwaves automatic washers and the like. I'll admit I sure appreciate a lot of the conveniences but I also enjoyed going "back to nature" at the lake. No electricity out there so you got a taste of what it was like 100+ years ago. And certain conveniences there too. But that's a different topic. And me, I really like a large yard. I don't like being where you can reach out the window and shake hands with the neighbors. One of the reasons I bought where I did. Nice large lawn. I much prefer grass to blacktop or concrete. Healthier too. Trees and grass absorb CO2 and emit O2. It's part of photosynthesis. My dad couldn't figure out why I planted so many trees in my yard. I run the a/c much less because the house is much cooler when it's shaded. With grass rather than blacktop or concrete, it's much cooler in the summer and the smell of fresh cut grass is a nice smell, quite unlike the chemical smell of "mountain freshness" or whatever they call that stench they put in the laundry detergents and softeners that people seem so addicted to. Used to be when the clothes would stink was an indicator it's time to wash the clothes and yes, back when, you could wear a shirt and/or pants more than an hour before changing them. Having lawns instead of hard surfaces also lets the water tables fill up again from the rains and snow. Look at the areas with water shortage issues. Generally they have far more impervious surfaces. We are doing our best to fight Mother Nature and can't figure out why she gets ticked off and gives a little slap on the wrists now and then to remind us to wake up. And FWIW, I haven't watered my lawn for over 25 years and have a much nicer lawn overall than most of the neighbors. The hottest part of the summer the grass will go dormant. When that happens you don't need to mow. If you water it, then you have to mow it! What's wrong with this picture? :) And the one I'll add is how people used to "cook" coffee at home. They didn't have to go pay $5 at Megabucks for coffee with a lot of milk in it! Used a mug or a cup and saucer (how many remember saucer and blow? Course the coffee was much hotter then too because women in those days knew that coffee was hot and not to spill it in their laps and run to a lawyer. You'd fix it rather than just toss it and buy new. And nobody bought all new appliances because the color trend had changed! You could get your appliances in any color you wanted, as long as it was white, possibly with some chrome trim. Home buyers didn't know the phrase "kitchen needs 'updating'"! And for the rare circumstance if the washer quit for good and was unrepairable, you surely didn't buy a new dryer to go with it! And back then if you didn't have that item you wanted needed for whatever, you didn't make a special trip to the store. You called a neighbor or went over and asked to borrow a cup of sugar or whatever. Or you would "make do" without. If clothes went out of style, you wore clothes that were out of style until they wore out. Although few would go back to those days, many sure could learn something from those days couldn't they?
    ...See More

LIGHTS... I didn't want to ask, but here we go...

Q

Comments (40)
    Well, I posted my lights on eBay and will do Craigs List as well. Fine Art Lamps discontinued them in October/November from their Casa di Campagna line so there aren't many stores still carrying them.. Maybe that will help me sell them. Who knows? I had emailed my salesperson but didn't hear back. I'll give it a few days. That's a long shot anyway. Of course, I did not order ANY new lights yet til I am sure!!! : ) I just wish I didn't spend so much on the originals.... Nothing I can do now though- hopefully I can get most of it back!
    ...See More

Why didn't we think of that?

Q

Comments (27)
    I agree that the actual saggy curtained example is a poor one, but if you've ever lived with a kitchen like this, you would understand why "just closing it off" is not always best. It dedicated floorspace solely to the kitchen, and usually not enough to make it comfortable anyway: Putting a single wall kitchen in a closet or behind screens that close up IN the floorspace allows some of that floorspace to Flex for something else. Since Marcolo brought up my kitchen: Versus the before: And people DON'T get it. The comment by potential buyers is (other than the occasional "that looks stupid') is that the "kitchen is smaller than in the other units". It's *not, it's actually slightly *bigger in footprint to the front edge of the island, and functionally it is even bigger because I can prep or stage standing on the outer perimeter of the island while the primary cook is in the main work aisle. That wouldn't work with a wall there. So the illusion is probably too successful. Some people do blow out the entire wall, but that makes some of the apartments look like a kitchen with an apartment in it not an apartment with a kitchen in it. Done the right way, screening makes sense. I am not an "open plan" type of person if the house is large, but there are a lot of small spaces out there, at least where I live.
    ...See More

Here Are Some Plants That We Didn't Buy...

Q

Comments (9)
    Shawn..So I'll bet you can never go to Lowe's or Home Depot without visiting the plant section, right? That's me..In fact, I am always frequenting the outdoor plants section too..I must spend a fortune on that stuff, but as for the houseplants, I am always leary like you...Good choice at leaving it there since you heart was telling you not to get it...I don't like plants that harbor mealy bugs either, especially the palms do, although if that was not the case I would have hundreds of then surrounding me in every room) Have you ever tried Jades or Fragrant plants?
    ...See More
  • erikanh
    15 years ago

"I understand his dislike of large amounts of seemingly overly positive comments."

Please provide a guideline for the acceptable level of praise so that in the future I don't post anything "overly positive." Maybe we should also set a maximum number of positive comments allowable and then strictly cut it off after that?

[removes tongue from cheek]

• chinchette
    15 years ago

And wouldn't it be funny if you went house shopping one day, and ran into one of the kitchens that you didn't like here on the garden web by accident?

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Funny Richard that started this thread has not had any further comment - Perhaps he was bored and wanted to stir up the pot - So I doubt there will be a guideline, or any acceptable levels or thresholds for positive comments.

I like Bill V's comment - but I think his folks got it from Bambi, specifically from Thumper's mother - when my big kids were little I used to say

"What does Thumpers mother say" I typically got the "oh, mom" but made them recite "If you don't have nuthin nice to say... don't say anything at all" - "and eat your greens"
    Gee if more could live by that mantra

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I think posting a finished kitchen is much like inviting a friend over to visit your house. If she invites you over and says "this room really bugs me; can you give me any advice?", you give it. And if she does not ask, you don't give it.

When I posted "does this layout work?" I got incredibly helpful advice; smart TKO people recognized that my layout was too tight and would create exactly the kitchen I was trying to get rid of. Thanks to the open and direct feedback, I was able to dodge a major bullet.

When I post my Finished Kitchen, I assume those same kind souls will either say nothing if they hate it, or compliment the things they do like, or something along the same lines. Seems perfectly appropriate to me.

Regarding finished kitchens, good lord, yes, I've seen lots I didn't like! I have seen tons of people put in the very same granite I couldn't *wait* to get out of my kitchen. In fact, a friend looking at my new kitchen last week commented that she's about to put in the very same granite that I sold on Craigslist :)

My sister's kitchen, which I spent half of last summer repainting, would be something my husband and I couldn't stand. But SHE loves it, she absolutely loves it. Who cares if I don't like it?

By the same token, I'm guessing she would not want to live with my kitchen. We have completely different tastes. Luckily I am not trying to please her :)

I had a different friend look at my new kitchen and tell me all the ways I could "warm it up". I don't give a rip, really, because I love my kitchen just as we designed it. But was she a tad rude to give me her unsolicited "here is how to fix your kitchen so I'll like it better" advice? Yes, she was. See, the thing is, her kitchen might suit a majority of people, but I wouldn't want it. I want the one I designed! I want my clean lines and my unfussy details and my contemporary barstools. If I wanted her look, I'd have done her look.

She probably assumes her taste is right and mine is wrong, and that I need to be guided to "fix" things I've done wrong. But how rude would it be of me to walk in her home and say "OMG, it is so cluttered in here! One cannot even see the beauty because there are so many vignettes on every surface! And where, or where, are your boys allowed to play?"

The bottom line is that I appreciate every bit of criticism and advice I've been given along my kitchen journey, and my kitchen is all the better for it.

Anita

• beccamj
    15 years ago

I think the fact that there is someone on here called nomorebluekitchen and one called bluekitobsessed says everything I wanted to say about subjective taste.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

Whether you like a kitchen or not when some post finished pictures of their new space I assume they are just sharing. There are plenty of posts where opinions are asked for but generally not when someone posts finished pictures. I am going to assume at this point they are done and do not need our opinions. That being said and to answer your question, yes I see kitchens that are not my particular taste, but like most here I agree with the old adage "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all." I will simply look and move on.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Anita, What a wonderful post. At a neighborhood party long ago my neighbor walked right up to me and said, "You're dress would look so great if you draped a scarf like this and had this bracelet and earrings and you might want to think about changing you hair to go this way." It did make an impression on me but probably not the way she intended.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Beccamj, LOL!

Anita

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I've become a habitual participant in this forum. Most of my lurking/searching is with the desire to learn and get ideas. When I posted innumerable layouts; I took alot of criticism. That's basically because the layouts really sucked. Now, this is the planning stage... and we're still 6 months from getting into the fun part. I love looking at all different style kitchens. I won't have painted white cabs and an contrasting island in my kitchen' but I learn about color, texture, and new ideas by viewing them. I can find beauty in all different styles. I love picking up tips that I can incorporate in my own way. And for yet another "teacherism"... it's like going to a 3 day inservice workshop. You take what works for you and then tweak it to be incorporated into your sytle. It becomes personalize and a reflection of your own style. And to the OT question... so like many others. I find interesting details, even in kitchens designed with a different style then mine. I typcially try to comment on threads asking for help... but will comment when I see a spectactular kithcen that I know had alot of heart and soul put into the project.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I didn't read all 92 posts so far on this one. I quit after seeing they all said basically the same thing I was thinking. It leaves me wondering what the point of this post was. Was the OP thinking we should be more "honest" and bash others' new kitchens if our personal taste happens to differ?

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

omg, yes! but as already stated we try to be helpful and respectful. many times, even if i don't love the aesthetics of a kitchen it may still be useful to see in regard to functionality.

if you like it say so. if not, move on. either way these forums provide valuable insight and education all for the asking.

• sjerin
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure the op just wanted to rock the boat, to see how worked up he/she can get everyone. The post is nothing but mean, and I'm sure he/she knows it.

• david_cary
    15 years ago

sjerin - I for one agree with OP and it has nothing to do with being mean. I have taken his post and responded because I am in total agreement with him.

I am truly surprised that people don't see the value in criticism even if "after the fact". We do it all the time in car forums and it isn't mean - it is to "teach" other people that might copy the poster. Now taste is obviously a specific thing and we get into debates about taste - that is fine. It happens here also (debates that is) but never on finished kitchens pics.

I have been on and off this forum for 3 years. It is a great forum - one of the best. But the "only positive" posts to finished kitchens is the one thing that has always surprised me. Everyone is focused on being nice - I guess that is sweet - but it never made sense to me. I would love to know if the majority thought that color combo just didn't work for them.

Maybe because I grew up in NY....

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Actually, I hope that this post just dies and goes to pg 64. Between the people who want to pick apart a freshly finished kitchen and the other respondents over-enthusiastically stating that OF COURSE there are finished kitchens that were NOT AT ALL to their liking etc. I can't imagine being one of the people who has just recently finished a kitchen and is sharing it right now. Every one of them must be feeling oh so self-conscious. And frankly, every one of the posts on this thread is to blame. Please, do let's stop this thread now.

David and Richard, if you feel that it is important to point out the flaws in the finished kitchens, don't stand on ceremony - go for it - lead the way - start a trend. Why is it that you want others here to do the deed for you? Forget female behaviour, now that is downright teenage female behaviour. LOL.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

If you go through the whole Toastmasters curriculum, you learn (gradually, painfully, slowly) about the differences between
    admiring,
    appreciating,
    evaluating,
    critiquing,
    criticizing,
    judging.

In many Toastmasters environments there is too much of the overly positive and occasional harsh jabs when things come to a head. Too much positivism makes a self-censoring environment, and then real feedback doesn't come out in balanced evaluations.

If you only have a few words or lines to give, you don't have the space or opportunity to present a balanced evaluation. Most posts are short and that is fine. I do find here that gushing love and admiration is too rich for my taste. That applies to some posts.

It is also true that once built it is too late. I've never posted anything negative, and I've also never asked any Questions Why. (E.g. "Why have so many different colors?")

A good question to ask each post showing a finished kitchen is what they might consider doing differently if they had another similar layout kitchen in another house to work on today. The eternal "Now that you know what you know now, what would you ...?" Or, this question could be reserved for three weeks down the line. First, the positives, then 3 weeks later the ideas about what not to do if it were all to be redone (optimized, simplified, changed in some way). I mean asking the original poster to comment on their own finished result. This question has a broad scope: some will mention only lessons learned about design, purchasing or assembly, and if that is all they feel comfortable with, I'd say it is best left alone at that level. It is their life, and they built their kitchen to suit, and their comfort level with sharing may be surpassed if we try to analyze what may be "wrong" with their built result.

-david r

• debsan
    15 years ago

There are several styles of kitchens that don't appeal to me in the least--HOWEVER, it seems that everytime I see a newly finished kitchen in one of those categories, I am impressed. I don't particularly care for all-white kitchens, but I've seen so many beautiful ones posted on this site, that sometimes I think maybe I'm the one with questionable taste.

I'm jealous when I see some of the contemporary kitchens with their sophistication and chic style, and envious when I see the warmth of the homey antique-filled kitchens. Whether the kitchen is full of silver from Tiffany or NASCAR collectibles, each kitchen is a reflection of the owner.

I don't really care if anyone understands or admires my "california" kitchen which is an eclectic blend of things that reiterate who I am. I appreciate that we are all different and I have learned tons from those whose ideas aren't like my own. What is most important to me is that my kitchen is all the people who live in my house--who we are and how we live. I assume that's probably true of most of the rest of the GW crowd.

The only kitchens that make me feel bad for the owners are the ones that are designed to impress outsiders. While we all enjoy having outsiders "ooh and aah", the kitchen is the heart of the home and should cater to those who live there, not those who come to judge our taste.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

It is possible to be too thin skinned (particularly for someone else). While the OP put a time frame on there comment which unfortunately singles out recent finished kitchen posters (I agree with those who suspect s\he is just stirring the turd) nobody else who has said they don't always like every kitchen has referred to any particular time frame. In most cases people have been very clear that not liking a kitchen is usually more a reflection of their particular taste than it is about the kitchen in question. Again, I don't care for every finished kitchen that gets posted but I heartily agree with those who mentioned that they had never seen a remodel that wasn't a tremendous improvement on the original kitchen. It may be the result of rather questionable intentions but I think the thread is great because it took something that may have seemed more a practice of decorum or habit and let us take a really good look at it.

To echo davidr I really enjoy the posts where people look critically at their own project. A couple of posts I most remember are by rmkitchen where she looked at what had worked and what had not in her kitchen and then her budget post. There are a few specific threads where this happens and a number of posters who very regularly draw on their successsful and unsuccessful experiences when offering advice. The critical observations of the homeowner who knows the context off their choices are always interesting but my thoughts (or someone elses) on their choices would most often be of dubious value in my opinion.

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

The critical observations of the homeowner who knows the context off their choices are always interesting but my thoughts (or someone elses) on their choices would most often be of dubious value in my opinion.

Bingo! Precisely! And that is precisely why it would be silly for observers to critique the finished kitchens post which is the very issue that Richard and David are propounding. To know whether a project passed or failed, you'd know the requirements or the brief for that space. Critiquing without it is almost worthless.

And regarding the first part re: I really enjoy the posts where people look critically at their own project. Almost as long as there have been finished kitchens on this board, there have been threads running re: "What DON"T you like about your new kitchen", "What do you like least about the kitchen", "Now that you've had "X", you know you could live without it. What is "X"?", "What were your new kitchen errors?" ... and these are in parallel and are amply contributed to.

• kompy
    15 years ago

I think there is a gender difference. It always amazes me that men can comfortably go up to another man, pat his belly and say, 'putting on some weight there!". They are more brutally honest.

Plus, men just want to fix things. Just this morning, I told my husband that I was still feeling sluggish from my hangover yesterday (New Years Day)...and he said, "just go to the gym!". LOL. As a woman, I wanted him to commiserate....as a man, he wanted to fix my problem.

And finally, as a KD...I think there are quite a few lost teachable remarks on this site. A couple of years ago someone posted a frameless, U-shaped kitchen. It was gorgeous...but my KD's eye caught something. With a U-shape and standard sized cabinets, you sometimes have to use a filler. Fillers really stick out on frameless design. The homeowner could've pulled one 'leg' away from the wall. It would have resulted in 'no filler', a bit deeper countertop on one side, and it would've looked great next to her deep refrigerator...as it would help make it look more 'built in'. Every time I saw that picture pop up and I wanted so much to tell everyone about this simple KD trick/fix for U-shapes....but I didn't want to hurt the homeowner's feelings.

Kompy

• beccamj
    15 years ago

The question was, "did we ever see one we didn't like?" not "have we seen one there was something wrong with." I mean, really, how many have something "wrong" with them that could be an example to someone else? It's actually all aesthetics so pointing out what you like is mean, not instructive to that person or anyone.

And I'm from NY and still live here; don't blame it on that!

• beccamj
    15 years ago

Er, pointing out what you "don't" like, rather.

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

richardyc, yes, I saw yours, and I didn't like it. Not impressed.

I think this thread was started in a mean and trolling spirit. Everyone has different taste, how could we possibly like everyone's remodel? I wouldn't want many of the kitchens I see in design magazines, for various reasons. Yet when someone here posts a kitchen "after" photo, and is happy with their results, my gosh, I am so happy for them. Remodeling is incredibly stressful and they have reached the end of their journey.

Anyone who feels the need to critique someone's finished kitchen when not asked must have low self esteem and have a need to make themselves feel bigger and more important by making it about "them". There are plenty of people like that in real life so it stands that they would also be online.

If someone can't find a single genuine good thing to say about someone's kitchen remodel, no matter if it is to their taste or not, then I would highly rec to them the vintage book "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Once when I was much younger I had a boyfriend who was one of those "honest" people. As I was truly enamored with him at the time, I missed the signifigance of this statement, but later it came to symbolize all his bizarre values and "honesty" and need to critique:

I met a female friend of his who was a bit chunky. Not fat, just a few pounds overweight. Boyfriend liked thin women. I commented to boyfriend that his friend had gorgeous green eyes (they were stunning). His response? "Yeah, if she had a better body, I could really love her eyes".

Joanna

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Honestly, I have seen very few kitchens on here that I actually disliked. Of course, I wouldn't pick the same materials etc. as many kitchens here, but I've seen few that I actually thought were unattractive or poorly done. The worst I can say is some are sort of generic, nothing special, but I've never seen one I thought was ugly. Truly. I love all the different styles, from super modern, to historic to everything in between. I think I've looked at just about every kitchen on the finished kitchens blog, and I don't think a one of them is truly a bad looking kitchen.

I've also seen lots of kitchens that I liked a lot but haven't had time to post a comment. I try to post a compliment when I can, but I don't always get the chance. And I would never post a criticism to a finished kitchen post. I don't think anyone posts pictures of their finished kitchen seeking constructive criticism. What would be the point? If someone asks for an honest critique, I will give it, but I don't recall anyone ever posting a finished kitchen asking for a critique.

I have to say that it was hard having the guts to post pictures of my finished kitchen, and when I see how many people viewed the pictures compared to how many comments I got (flickr tells you how many views there have been), I can't help but wonder if a lot of people hated it. On the other hand, I wanted a kitchen that reflected my personal tastes, and did not try and make choices that would please everyone. We made some fairly bold choices, like mixing two very strong granites with lots of movement right near each other, and having a lot of different finishes. I can certainly imagine that there would be people who would not like those choices. I love it, and that is what is most important.

Telling someone who just excitedly posted pictures of their kitchens that you don't like it would be like when my mother-in-law, hearing what her son and daughter-in-law named their child, who had just been born, suggested a different name. They weren't seeking her approval or permission. The decision was final. Why rain on their parade by making it clear she didn't like the name?

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

jeannie_kitchen, hee hee, my mother in law did almost that same thing! She did not suggest another name, just told us how much she disliked the name we'd picked. But luckily, we were not attempting to please her and had long since made our peace with her style and personality.

Anita

• gwent
    15 years ago

Just curious but is OP's question nearing one of the "top most responded to posts" ever?
    Do any of you long timers know which GWkitchen question has gotten the most feedback? Just curious.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Nope, there have been much, much longer threads which have hit the max number of responses which is 150, I believe? Do a search for mamadadapaige's finished kitchen post ... I think it went to 150 responses!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

WOW, I didn't realize we're over 100 responses already, so we're actually getting close! Here's that thread I mentioned, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: mamadadapaige's finished kitchen

• david123
    15 years ago

Before this thread gets maxed out, I have to thank all of you for making me feel better........I have been on a handful of other online discussion forums, and this one is by far the classiest, most informative, and uplifting discussion group that I have ever been a part of.

Cheers!!!!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

Have I ever seen a finished kitchen posted here that I didn't like? Yes - but that doesn't mean I didn't LOVE the kitchen at the same time. Let me explain:

The finished kitchens posted here each reflect a real human being's tastes and needs as well as his/her struggles to solve various design dilemmas - and usually on at least a somewhat restricted budget. Every person who posts a finished kitchen here has put his/her heart and soul into creating a kitchen that will be comfortable and inviting for him/her and his/her family and friends. That fact comes shining thru in every finished kitchen picture. So, even when I don't personally like the particular styles chosen, I love the heart and soul that I can see in the images posted here.

Conversely, when I look at most of the "picture perfect designer kitchens" published in magazines, all I see is some designer's efforts to create something eye-catching enough to get featured in a magazine. Meanwhile the magazine's purpose is to sell more magazines and advertising to makers of kitchen products. So, the more high dollar gadgets and gizmos the designer can incorporate, the more likely they are to get selected for a photo layout. And, apparently they usually have an unlimited - or nearly unlimited - budget to work with. Overall, this strikes me as a soul-less process that results (IMHO) in cosmetically pretty but ultimately soul-less kitchens. To me, they all just look like advertising glossies for appliance, fixture, cabinetry, countertop, and/or flooring manufactures. And somehow, I always find myself wondering if even the designers themselves really like these "perfect" ultra-high dollar kitchens and what their own REAL kitchens look like!

Give me the GW "finished kitchens" anyday!

I worry that, if folks like OP - who apparently consider themselves kitchen-design experts and/or arbiters of taste - start criticizing the "finished kitchens" that are posted here, most people will simply stop posting their finished kitchens. I know I wouldn't and I'm pretty thick-skinned.

We could lose the vast treasure-trove of real kitchens (whatever their flaws or imperfections) and have nothing to look at for inspiration except the perfect soul-less stuff in the magazines. So I for one will happily fore-go whatever "teaching" OP and others think they might have to offer just to keep the pipes flowing.

So yeah, I occasionally see a finished kitchen I "don't like" AND I LOVE IT ANYWAY!

BTW, I mostly just lurk on this forum (am much more active on the HomeBuilding forum) but I have learned so much about my own real tastes and gleaned so many great and AFFORDABLE ideas from the finished kitchens posted here... all of which will eventually go into making the kitchen in my new home be MY dream kitchen. So thank you to everyone who has ever posted a finished kitchen on this forum and "keep 'em coming." I love every single one of your kitchens!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I think it's telling that richard and david cary have chosen to make this a gendered issue. I think it's just plain, cold, Vulcan logic at work -- there's just an overwhelming majority of smart, intuitive people on this forum --regardless of gender -- who realized that once an FK is posted, the time for "helpful suggestions" "constructive criticism" or whatever you want to call it - is over. These two jackholes are just disappointed that this forum has its own etiquette that denies them the ability to crap all over other people's posts with impunity. And that's my .02, crapping all over them. (See, we're not ALL nice here. Sure we have claws -- we just choose when to use them.)

• Fori
    15 years ago

I really love many of the "befores"--especially from the 60s and earlier--and wish people would just restore them instead of gutting them. Of course I don't have to live in those before kitchens...

We all have different needs and tastes of course. Anyone remember the medieval kitchen? I didn't really like it but the owner did and it really WAS kinda cool and the fact that someone could have that much fun doing something that weird and creative with a kitchen made it a great kitchen.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I would love to see the medieval kitchen. Does anybody have a link?

You see, I have an addiction to kitchen porn. I love looking at all kitchens. I almost always see something I like, and I always appreciate the effort the owner put into the project. My comments are sincere, and make me feel more like I am part of a community (and this is a nice community) and less like a GW junkie.

• User
    15 years ago

morton5: it may have been this one (eelliot's) posted on Finished Kitchens Blog. Click the link for a medieval kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this one

• morton5
    15 years ago

Thanks countrycottageklutz! Of course I viewed the whole slideshow. Loved it! Left a comment saying so! Meant it! Kind of made me want to play "medieval kitchen wench"-- but I digress.

What kitchen could better show that for some of us, our kitchens are extensions of ourselves, our dreams? Like much of what happens to us in life, we try to do the best with the hand we are dealt. We know that others struggle, too, and we celebrate how we all overcome challenges.

• paulines
    15 years ago

wow evilbunnie.

Fwiw, this forum's 'etiquette' and rules prohibit name calling. Opinions and/or suggestions may be disagreed with, but are welcomed.

And richardyc did put a smileyface at the end of his post.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any kitchen on here where I didn't like a single thing about it. There have been several where I didn't care for elements of the kitchen, but no matter what my personal tastes are, I can definitely appreciate how the overall look comes together.

It's all about what the individual likes, not strangers. For instance, my best friend lives in a condo downtown. Exposed brick, high ceilings, hardwood floors, deep shades of paint colors. I live in a house in the suburbs and prefer carpet and Lighter, more neutral paint colors. While I wouldn't want to live where he does, I can appreciate the atmosphere of his home. It fits his personality and I think he's done an excellent job of fixing it up.

I prefer stained cabinets, brushed nickel hardware, no granite, and natural stone. However, that doesn't mean that I'm not impressed by a kitchen that has white cabinets, ORB hardware, and granite counters. When someone puts thought into how they want a room to look and all the elements come together, it is something to celebrate, regardless of personal tastes.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I too have not seen a kitchen where I hated everything about it, frankly I don't even look at the other people's comments in the FKB. If I like the picture I click on the link to see more, if not I move on.

This forum has been a big help to me, someone who "thought" I knew exactly what I wanted only to become crazed, confused, and often wishy washy in my quest for the "perfect" kitchen. Which we all know, mostly based on this post, won't be perfect, but maybe it will be to me! ;)

Most forums are for bashing and trying to gain some sort of online power, not the supportive information sharing atmosphere that you find on here.

I play an online game called Call of Duty 5, so I've seen my share of people bashing others on the internet. I often wonder if those who are so mean spirited (an no I don't mean you Richard) would be equally as mean if they were standing right in front of you in real life.

My theory is, if you wouldn't be that honest in real life, then what gives you the right to be so blunt/honest and potentially mean online? Nothing in my book!

But for those of you who would like to gain some power by being mean online I can hook you up with some great online gaming venues where you would be welcome, at least until you were banned! ;) Hmm wonder if that's because online gaming is dominated by men and teenagers? And yes I can kick butt with an MP 40, so be sure to be nice to me if you see me in game! :-)

Kat aka Mustang Sally COD ;)

• eelliott
    15 years ago

Hi everybody. Wow - I haven't logged onto this site for probably over a year, and much to my surprise I even find comments on my "Medieval Kitchen" (which, I might say, I figured would have just gotten lost in the sauce with all the other gorgeous remodels out here)!

I absolutely still ADORE my Kitchen. I know -it's definitely not for everybody, but it reflects our personality to a "T" and we LOVE IT. I have absolutely NO regrets ever about doing exactly what we envisioned and not playing it safe, no matter what other people thought. There were definitely times I questioned, but I can't tell you enough how happy we did it just the way we did! I DO have some major regrets about our contractor...however, that is another (horror) story for another day...

It's really a wonderful thing when a person can really extend their personality into their home. It makes it so much easier to want to be home more than anywhere else! Whether I'm cooking, or just sitting working at the "feast hall" table on my laptop with my bare feet on the heated floor (which my cats also love), there is no place I'm more comfortable or would rather be! Dorothy was right: There's no place like home! :)

Oh - and did I mention it sure saves a BUNDLE on going out when you want to stay home! :)

• Fori
    15 years ago

Hey Eelliott! I hope I didn't offend you by saying your kitchen was weird and not my thing! :) That wasn't very nice of me and I do apologize.

Your remodel will never be lost to memory here because it's so unique and fun. I could have mentioned all the brown kitchens I find uninteresting...but I couldn't remember them.

And while I might not want a medieval kitchen myself (at least I won't admit it!), it's still a pretty darn awesome castle you got going. One could tell by the details you put into it that it was going to be YOUR place and that's something worth emulating, mutton legs or not.

So, I guess I meant to say, in response to the original post, even if a kitchen isn't to one's taste, it can be full of goodness and inspiration. I'm glad you're still enjoying it!

Or maybe I was referring to a different medieval kitchen...

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Eelliott, I haven't seen your kitchen, but I'm glad you had the courage to go for what you loved. Somewhere inside me it feels like that's the best thing to do, but there are always all these other voices that tell you you must be practical, etc. In the early 70s, my mother decided to turn our tract house, identical to every other one in the neighborhood, into a Spanish style hacienda, complete with arches and stucco, and authentic french doors on the upper split level, looking out on the neighbor's driveway! She missed her native Europe and this is what did it for her! I thought it was incongruous, but it made her very happy. I drove past it recently and it's just as she left it!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

couldn't conceive what a Medievil Kitchen would be so had to check it out. What fun.

linked below for anyone else as curious as me.

Here is a link that might be useful: eeliott's kitchen

• eelliott
    15 years ago

Hello there, fori! I was not offended in the slightest by your comments (and I did not think you were rude, either)! Believe me, I completely understand that our style might not be to everybody's liking, but I am glad you can at least appreciate the detail and whimsy of it. :)

I designed it all myself, so if anybody needs pointers on planning their own Medieval Kitchen, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out! Guess that probably makes me one of the only Medieval Kitchen designers around! :)

Thanks for your comments, everybody! If you're ever in the Cleveland, OH area, you're all invited to come on over for a turkey leg and some homemade mead!

• eelliott
    15 years ago

egganddart49, doing what YOU want, and throwing caution to the wind - is definitely the way to go! There is always a way to incorporate and design what you truly love and envision to be practical at the same time. We're living proof. :)

• starpooh
    15 years ago

One of the reasons I have always loved this forum is because everyone is so helpful and (almost) always very nice. (Gosh.. wish there was more kindness in the world!)
    We are here for constructive criticism during our remodels; not for them to be picked apart after the fact.

That said, I was quite surprised to receive a comment in the FKB from an anonymous poster who stated "that is one of the coldest kitchens I have ever seen." Unfortunately it was one of my personal favorites! It had no value on the FKB and would hurt the owner's feelings; since I approve all comments (due to spam problems) I rejected it. So the FKB will continue to be "nice".

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Good for you, Starpooh! Thanks so much for all you do, including making the FKB a truly wonderful place where it's cool to be "nice!"

• steff_1
    15 years ago

I enjoy seeing everyone getting great advice and help on this site regardless of their budget or style. It's as much fun to see what someone does with a small budget as it is to see the jaw dropping kitchens that cost as much as the average home.

• minac
    15 years ago

One of the things I love about this kitchen forum is that I can see so many different styles. Sometime it reminds me of watching salsa dancing where you could watch 5 couples dancing and everyone is doing something a little different to make it their own. When I was working on my kitchen, I could look at pictures and see what things people did that called to me. One of the things I decided on based on the finished kitchen was going with taller crown molding. I didn't even know I liked it or wanted it (chuckle - this forum is great for finding things you didn't even know you wanted ) until I tried to figure out what it was about certain kitchens that appealed to me. Looking at the kitchen magazines aren't much help because they are showing the kitchen that is double my budget, double the space I have, and with whatever is the in trend that season. I like that we keep the finished kitchen thread nice. It is a celebration. You want to encourage people to post because it is helpful to the newcomers in figuring out your taste and style and really contributes to the sense of community. If I post that I really like X about someone's kitchen - then I really like X about their kitchen or I won't say anything. It's interesting because some of my favorite kitchens have been ones that I could never pull off but they had that something about them that was visionary.

• weed30 St. Louis
    15 years ago

A long time after I posted photos of my kitchen, someone linked to it and said something to the effect of how boring/uninspired it was. Lack of imagination might have been included in the comment too. I just laughed at what a pompous *ss they were.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022