SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamaraz_gw

Can a messy person have hardwood floors?

jamaraz
14 years ago

Does anyone have white oak flooring in their kitchens? I had a contractor to my house today and he said that he could rip out the tile flooring in my kitchen and center hallway for a very reasonable price. I currently have white oak flooring in all of my other downstairs rooms.

I am excited to change my hallway over to hardwoods but I am hesitant to change over my kitchen flooring. We are a very messy family (2 kids and a golden retriever). My son spills water from the fridge on a daily basis and my dog loves to track in rain, snow and mud. I would love to say that I am Suzy Homemaker and will clean up all the spills right away, but I probably won't. Can a person like me even think about having wood floors in a kitchen?

My current tile is an ugly white ceramic and I would probably change over to a beige or terra cotta stone floor. I don't cook a lot but when I do my feet hurt from the tile flooring. I love the look of an all wood floor or I like the look of continous tile from the entry way through the kitchen. I am not sure if I will like the look of wood everywhere except for the kitchen. I am worried if will disrupt the flow of the house.

What do you all think? Is there a more durable wood that will blend with the white oak flooring or an alternative material? I don't think I want marmoleum. I grew up with linoleum flooring my house and I am afraid it will remind me of my mother! :)

Comments (24)