SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pluckymama_gw

I finally picked a countertop

pluckymama
15 years ago

Well, after mos of agonizing over which stone I would use for a countertop, today, I selected Minas Soapstone for my island and perimeter and walnut for my hutch. This was no easy decision for me as many of you know.

I started out wanting soapstone and then moved away from it due to patina issues, then saw Mamadadapaige's gorgeous Ocean Green granite and went on a search for that, but never found a slab as nice as hers. I then moved onto Nordic Black antique and actually chose the most beautiful slab of this granite I had ever seen (and I've seen a lot). The stone was fabricated for our kitchen and it looked amazing as they carried into the house, but they had templated the kitchen incorrectly and several of the slabs were too short. They wanted to fill it in with silicone and we said NO! So they removed the stones, gave us our money back and I was back to square one. I relooked for the Nordic Black but what I found wasn't as nice as the one I had chosen. This was a major disappointment, but it led me to rethink soapstone. Several wonderful GWebers have been so helpful to me regarding soapstone and I decided to go with my heart.

Dorado soapstone opened up a new distributorship in Shrewbury, Ma very recently, (about 1 1/2 hours from our home) and I drove down there last week and met the most helpful people you could ever want to meet. Dave, the owner, has been a soapstone fabricator for years and spend so much time educating me and letting me oil slab after slab. His sons Ben and Nate were equally as helpful and patient with me. Ben offered me a job as a permanent soapstone oiler, but the next day, my right arm was ready to fall off so I had to decline. Hehe :)

Today, they received a huge shipment in of Minas soapstone and I ran down there with hope in my heart and I was not disappointed. So here's a pic of the slab unoiled and then a pic of a small section oiled. It is scheduled for installation next Friday. Fingers crossed ;) So a big thank you to all of you who helped me along the way in this process. I am truly grateful.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths