SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katieleabrown86

How to pick a counter top. Opinions please!

katieleabrown86
8 years ago

This website is more addicting than Facebook and Instagram! I find myself checking it multiple times a day hoping that somehow the properties of marble have changed and that I can outfit my kitchen in it from floor to ceiling without changing anything about my lifestyle with my four messy kids and husband.

I am doing the world's slowest conversion to a white kitchen. But one of the things that is holding me back is the counter tops. I just can't decide! I'm ashamed to say how much time everyday I spend thinking about them and researching them.

My ideal would be honed Calacatta marble, but price and practicality have ruled that out. I have decided that I can handle marble on the island, but I at least need the perimeter and my bar area to be a safe zone.

One of my problems is I keep wanting to pick a counter top I consider beautiful from just looking at it--not taking into perspective the overall look of the kitchen instead of just the counter top as a separate piece. That has been my problem with many of the quartz's. On their own I don't like them, but when I see a beautiful kitchen complete with a plain and simple quartz then I like it. But my instinct is to pick the closest marble lookalike I can find that is busier, but most likely faker looking, because it is more beautiful to look at it on its own. I am not sure if I should pick the counter I think is pretty or if I should make myself pick a plainer quartz even though I don't like it on its own because of the overall effect it produces.

Case in point: This is Pental's Lattice that I saw at a friend of a friend's. On its own I thought the counter was not very pretty, but all put together I found the kitchen quite beautiful and especially loved the backsplash.

I decided nothing could replace real marble and decided to do a honed or lightly brushed Absolute Black granite on the perimeter so I would have a safe zone and honed Calacatta on the island that I loved enough to become a bit of a slave to. I'm more concerned about scratching than etching. I found a slab I loved and put it on hold, but decided to rule out all quartz options for sure before I purchased it. Mostly because I have never cared for black granite, it has only been recently that I have seen pictures of beautiful white kitchens with black perimeters that I began to love the look and I worried that maybe deep down I wouldn't like having a black surface when I always wanted white. One of the things I hate about my current granite is that it hides everything. I like the idea of a clean white and don't think the black is beautiful on its own like the above mentioned plain quartz.

Last week I drove 3 hours to Dallas to be able to see some of the Quartzmasters slabs in person. Because I prefer Calacatta marble, I am always on the hunt for a good lookalike, which seems nearly impossible to produce in quartz because of the veining. I love the Neolith Calacatta, but am too worried about not being able to get a clean mitered edge.

I surprised myself by really liking a slab of Quartzmaster's Organic White, which looks awful on the website by the way. I liked how it had both veins and blotches and it still looked very white when I brought home the sample and looked at it in the kitchen and next to my Dove White fireplace. But I only got to see the slab once and now I am second guessing myself about it all.

I also searched around the internet and found a kitchen completed with Quartzmaster's Statuary Venato, which they didn't have any slabs in stock for me to see when I was there. This is the kind of veining I prefer in real marble, but what do you think about it in quartz? Is it too fake looking or do you like it? I thought it was the best veined quartz I'd seen, but still prefer a honed look.

Oops, at picture max.

Comments (22)