SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbaulch_gw

Small condo kitchen help -- layout issues!

sbaulch
12 years ago

Hello,

We have recently bought a brand new condo and there have been issues with the original layout of the kitchen. The original layout called for all the appliances to be on one wall...unfortunately, fire code issues with another unit resulted in our fridge being shifted to another wall.

All was good, until we went to the pre-delivery inspection. The island was not installed as the fridge door banged into it. Also the distance between the island and the main countertop is 30 inches. We also has a pantry planned beside the fridge, but that was also not installed as the depth & width would not allow proper flow into the kitchen.

The builders have come up with the following design (see pdf). They have made the island narrower and smaller (it was originally 60 inches long). With this design it is now 30 3/4 inches from the main countertop (we gained 3/4) and 32 inches from the back wall (we gained 2 inches). They have also placed a cupboard on the support column. They have also decreased the depth of the pantry.

My father thinks the island should be longer (45 inches). However if it is longer, I won't be able to stand in front of the oven to place and remove baked/roasted items. I will have to do it from the side. I don't think this is safe. Thoughts? He also thinks that the pantry should be turned around so that the back of the pantry is on the side of the fridge gantry and not on the wall. I also have the option of making the cupboard on the support column 4 open shelves. I would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.

Below are pics of the new layout and how the kitchen looked at pre-delivery inspection

Comments (21)