SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

Question (legal) re Contractor Insurance

paul_ma
16 years ago

Today I found myself in the middle of a disagreement between my GC and the people who run my condo association. (Normally they are pretty good and laid back.)

The association requires that the contractor provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance naming the condo association. He did that. But when I called to verify that all was ok, they raised an objection because the certificate explicitly states that it doesn't cover the GC himself - the owner of the firm. (Small firm - he has a couple of employees.)

He is telling me that he doesn't need to be on it because he is the owner. And they are telling me he needs to be on it if he intends to do any of the work. It is certainly my expectation that he was going to be doing work, and certainly supervising.

I tried to get them to talk to each other and clear this up, but at this point they are both refusing to call the other, both saying they want to be called. Now the GC is telling me that he will just say his employees will do all the work. I'm not certain if he means that as a formality and expects he will be here anyway, or if he really means he won't be here.

I'm unclear of what all the implications of this are. If he is not covered but goes ahead, then what is his status? Can he come into my home (as my "guest")?

I just want to get this settled so that the work can be done. The cabinets are on the way. I don't need the contractor walking out on me now.

Comments (7)