SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

? re pressure from remodeling co. insurance wants us to use...

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

A big tree fell on our house and car last week (high winds--it was a healthy tree), so we're dealing with repairs on two fronts. I should say that no one was hurt, there's a roof over our heads, so it's not as horrible as it could have been by any stretch of the imagination, but there's still the stress of repairs. We're with a reputable insurance co. (is that an oxymoron?), but I'm troubled by the fact that the remodeling co. the insurers work with a lot got our settlement offer before we did (is that even legal?)...and the remodeling guy wants to set up an appointment asap to get us to sign a contract! Like he'd put it in front of us and we sign it, no time to consider at all!

I've never had to deal with this before (although we've been remodeling on our own for the last few years, and I've dealt with plenty of tradesfolk) but don't we have the right to get bids on the work and decide who we want to handle it? There's a complete reroofing involved, and I want to make sure we don't get stuck with an incompetent reroofing job or get ripped off with substituting inferior materials when we could have gotten much better use of our money.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? I'd appreciate any insights, thoughts, caveats...

Comments (22)