SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Kitchen Desk Area Question

dakota01
11 years ago

I left one small blank wall in my new kitchen. I thought I would put a piece of decorative furniture/dry bar or a bakers rack on the wall. Now, that I've lived in the house I realize I need a desk area.
I don't like the look of open space under the area where you typically put your legs. All the pics I've seen have the open space. Has anyone put a faux type door over the area that when you open the doors they slide back into the area rather than open into the area like typical cabinet doors. I thought it might work, when they slide back I could just pull my stool up and put my legs under it. When they are closed they would just look like my other cabinets not like a desk area. Or should a desk area actually look like a desk and be open under it?
Would it be too confining to get my legs under it? I'd be pretty locked into the space as it's only about 40 inches long and 23 or 24 deep. I would make it the same height as my island and other cabinets. I will have an upper decorative cabinet for cookbooks, etc. Small side drawers for papers, etc.
I did think about putting a half shelf in the lower space to put my laptops printer on. I don't really use my printer, but if I can fit it, I'd like to get it in there.
Thanks

Comments (5)