SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Raise your hand if you...

young-gardener
12 years ago

...changed your mind a thousand times during your process.

Surely, I'm not the only one who knows what she wants yet keeps changing her mind....over. and over. and over. and...

So, what did you change your mind about during your kitchen planning....and did you end up right back at your original choice when it was all said and done?

Comments (31)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's SO easy to change your mind, with all the options available! I changed my mind, probably a dozen times...and finally found one thing that I loved and wanted to use in the kitchen. Then, at least I could see if new ideas would work with my inspiration piece.

I also knew I didn't care what was popular, as much as what would work, for me. I love old brass, so that's going to be the hardware and lighting fixtures. I like a little copper, too...so maybe a copper teapot and a few copper pans. While I love the look of wood floors, I knew vinyl would make a lot more sense in our situation...and I've always wanted warm white cabinets. Although, after finding GW, I did think about wood cabinets and white countertops for a while...but realized it would just be too dark in our space, especially in the winter.

The other thing that never changed was knowing I wanted a soft blue and leaf green mixed in with the warm whites and woods. Neutrals make a nice background, but like in a garden, I need some color to really make the space come to life :)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Wow......waaaaaayyyyy too many things to list. A few of the highlights so far:

Renovated house plan arrangement, room placement within the house, kitchen layout about 6,437 times, appliances, pulls, bathroom fixtures, stone counters, window sizes, window placement in kitchen, window placement in DD's room, front door placement, front door style, wall colors, carpet color, hardwood floor color, sink color, white cab color, uppers arrangement, gas fireplace, pantry door style, front door placement, coat closet door swing, my master closet door swing, master bath door swing, whether or not to replace exterior siding, exterior door handle sets, door bell, pocket door hardware, fridge and oven placement in final kitchen layout, accepting deal on Wolf ovens floor model, aisle width, cooktop vs rangetop, fridge choice, warming drawer, cab hardware, style of glass in uppers, deal on lesser powered hood vs higher powered one with less style, outlet placement, switch placement, whether or not to have light over sink on a separate switch, gas fireplace placement, built-in fireplace shelf arrangement, creation or not of mudroom, mudroom configuration, replacing existing ugly almond colored windows, which color new windows should be, brand of new windows, wood windows vs vinyl vs ??, locking machanism on new windows, replacing ugly backdoor without self-closing hinges to a pretty new door that would have to by code have horrid self-closing hinges that drive me absolutely out of my mind, toilet brand and model (what a nightmare), which toilets to replace, lighting plan for the whole house, can lights or not, pendants over island, sconces or not in DR, vanity lighting for master bath, vanity wood species for master bath (still haven't decided), plumbing in master bath, shower fixture placement as our first plumber who is now fired was of zero help, how to tile master bath, stone for master bath vanity, surface material for tub deck, placement of tub within tub deck, how to mount roman tub filler valves on master tub, organization system within hall closet, hardware for master built-ins, which if any new furnace filtering system to buy, how to insulate under the house in our area that now has rats, which type of ducting material to use under the house, where to locate new return air vent in the ceiling (what a pita and drug out process that turned out to be), new thermostat placement, whether or not to upsize furnace duct run to the bedroom end of the house, how to organize heating system to heat the bedroom end of the house better, location of new heat register in master bath addition, how wide to make master bath addition to get enough room but not compromise the gardens too much, linen closet placement in master or in master bath, pendant choice, DR chandy choice, UC lighting choice, backsplash, counter stools, kitchen table material and size, kitchen table chairs, light fixtures for master bath, light fixtures for DD's room, tile for fireplace surrounds....

Can I be done now?? ;) Thats not the end of the list, but my typing fingers hurt.

• Related Discussions

Raise your hand if you're STILL not done planting out

Q

Comments (35)
    "Plant me! Plant me!", scream my ws seedlings as I walk by. Okay, I have a few planted out. Felicia heterophylla (Blue Daisy) was blooming in the container, a very pretty blue, so got them in a bed. All the poppies and snapdragons are planted out. Have potted up some Tutti Frutti lupine seedlings that will get planted out in the fall. Same with King Arthur delphiniums and NZ delphiniums. Perennial geraniums are either planted in beds or potted up. Morning glories are potted using Fran's suggestions and are growing well. I have been moving second year ws perennials from holding beds into regular beds or taking some to plant swaps. Have been pleased with the variety of columbines blooming this spring. Love the verbascum 'Violette' and the 'Early Guardian Blue' delphiniums that are blooming now. Also many variteties of dianthus and penstemon. 2nd year ws lupine was gorgeous. Have cut the flowers back except for a stem or two left to set seed. Will start planting some of this year's perennials in the open spaces of the holding beds. Didn't get many annuals sown, zinnias and nicotiana just germinating and cosmos will be direct sown this weekend. I didn't sow any red TX salvia as last year had so much from self sown. Don't see any of them this year. Wonder if I still have time to sow some as the hummers love them. Self sown linaria have been beautiful. Will sow more varieties of them next winter.
    ...See More

Raise your hands if you able to make ES blue

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm looking for the answer, too. I planted four of these in a public space and the blue was EYE-POPPING. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to recreate the color. Even with Aluminum Sulfate, Leaf-Gro, and Holly Tone. This year, I've got a sort of lavender. What do I need to do?
    ...See More

NEW: Getting to know you, Monthly Trade Group

Q

Comments (86)
    We have one more trading pair for June. They are moms_garden & Amanda Romando. So here's the most current line up of partners. June simplylisa sends to gardeningwitch June diene sends to serenity_lane_ga June fivemeows sends to hummingbirddaisy June hummingbirddaisy sends to fivemeows June debbya sends to snyder June sguanzon sends to missspoiled25 June SheilaSchnauzie sends to amybabyboy3 June amybabyboy3 sends to SheilaSchnauzie June snyder sends to debbya June serenity_lane_ga sends to diene June missspoiled25 sends to sguanzon June mimib1 sends to ThreeShyAcres June ThreeShyAcres sends to mimib1 June scouttiegirl sends to beth_b_kodiak June beth_b_kodiak sends to scouttiegirl June gardeningwitch sends to simplylisa June mkruby7 sends to caperose12 June caperose12 sends to mkruby7 June badtoad sends to lroyrose June lroyrose sends to badtoad June glendasgarden sends to KellyinFlorida June KellyinFlorida sends to glendasgarden June moms garden sends to Amanda Romando June Amanda Romando sends to moms garden Everyone should have their partners questionaire info and mailing address by now. PALEEZE contact me if you need anything. Also please post here to confirm that everything is in order and your all set. Thanks, Kelly
    ...See More

How to hardwire a pendant light w/plug-in cord???

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Miles, I was grappling with the "how does it hang"? question too, and I was thinking that I would use a standard cover through which the cord hangs, and (okay, another lame idea) just tie a knot in the cord before it goes through the ceiling plate so that the weight is supported by the plate and not the cord. Hope that makes sense. And the fixtures are all very light too, so weight isn't much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to worry that over time the wires are getting undone and becoming a fire hazard.
    ...See More
  • young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy---- Whew! It felt good to read that! I've lost track of what number we're on for our "house renovation plan." Funny how things like that change, change, change. I'm going to have to call on you when we get to the master bath addition because I'm already having issues with its ability to overtake my garden space. ;) It's amazing how even the tiniest of details becomes a huge issue as you renovate. Thank you for typing till your fingers ached. It was good therapy for me. I'm off to look up your home; I'm sure it's lovely!

LL- I think my problem is that I've lurked here for so long that I've developed love and appreciation for too many things. LOL! Your kitchen is going to be amazing. I've enjoyed following your inspiration and idea posts. :)

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

both hands waving and raised.... My list has be as long as Breezy's.. but my hands are too tired to type!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Still changing even as I type.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I changed my mind a million times and on a bunch of things right at the end. All of those nagging feelings right before ordering turned out to be right and I ended up being so glad I changed right before the order took place. Go with your gut- no matter how often people (read Kitchen Salespeople and husbands) roll their eyes. If something is nagging at you- change it before its too late. If your project is anything like mine, you'll be so glad you did!

P.S. I didn't go back to my original choice on anything- but I ended up going back to what I secretly knew I wanted all along but was trying to deny.

Cabinet color, cabinet layout, pulls, hood, microwave, wood floors, tile (X1000), paint colors, design features, light fixtures (X1000), deck material, garage doors, blah blah blah.

Some decisions are super easy and you make the decision once and never go back...Others not so much.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I can't even count how many decisions got changed along the way, but the basic idea/vision didn't. We wanted a large open kitchen with function being the biggest concern, but a lot of thought went into form as well. With all the differing things I'd see here, I'd test drive them in our plan and some stuck and some didn't. I still have a Tapmaster I have to sell, lol...
    In any case, it is a lot like trying on wedding dresses, only with each decision, there is another round of trying on, esp since they impact each other. Maybe it is more like wedding planning.....

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, dianalo, I hear ya. It seems the reason it's so hard to commit is because I'm so set on achieving "the" vision. I like the idea of testdriving. ;) PLanning a wedding, for sure! (only I did that in much less time than this is taking...lol!)

briandarnell- Oh, nagging! Isn't that the truth! I actually cancelled an order on a light I've wanted for years...all because of a little voice in the back of my head. The counter guy just said today, "I don't like marble in kitchens, but I'd be happy to do it for you." I gave him my best GW smile and forged ahead with the plan.

• fks3
    12 years ago

Me too - I had wanted some staggered cabinets but after ripping out the soffits and finding venting and drainage that could not be moved - had to change.

Thought we would have some cabs go down to granite counter in breakfast area but we loved the granite we had it seemed a shame to cover it up so we changed our mind on that.

Loads of other decisions - some mentioned above. Others like adjustable shelves versus roll-out drawers...

go with your gut like brianadarnell says - it does work

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

We changed quite a bit as we went along. I knew WHERE I wanted things. Layout was pretty set in stone. We did switch the micro cabinet for the bev cooler during the cabinet install (which was DIY) because the new thoughts made more sense. Works much better than it would have.

We started out wanting soapstone and then I got concerned about price and weight. We looked at Paperstone, a concrete product, and a couple of others before landing right back on soapstone for the look we wanted and the durability. With Paperstone we didn't feel like we had really solid resources for reviews and durability reports. We KNEW what we'd be getting with soapstone and I figured if it could live through MY high school, it was good enough for us. Price ended up to be not so bad since we DIY'd the countertops as well.

I originally wanted white cabs, then I fell in LOVE with a particular ash door from Ikea that was discontinued before we got started with our reno and we ended up at Maple slab. It sounds like a strange evolution but I NEVER wanted to clean beads or edges or details and slab was the obvious choice when I couldn't get my Askome doors from Ikea.

I changed wall color about twice. Before painting so that was ok.

Flooring was never a changed issue. It was an easy one.

I changed backsplash tiles once. Not too bad in that department. Again, BEFORE purchase or install.

It happens. You change your mind. The process is an evolution. At least it was for me. Some things are durability issues. Some budgetary. Some are driven by an option you didn't know you had.

Ne

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Raising hand...

We can't get past the layout/design stage, and it's been over a year. HAVE to finalize very soon, but still feeling apprehensive about everything.

• sail_away
    12 years ago

We're still in the planning stages (seems like we're stuck there), and I'm already experiencing the changing of my mind about all sorts of things. We're not doing a complete reno, by any means, just replacing a worn out floor and doing some updates in various areas over time. Even so, there are more than enough decisions to be made, about which I seem to change my mind frequently.

dianalo, The Tapmaster has been at the top of my list of things that I thought I would love to have, but didn't feel I would ever get due to the high cost. However, it is at the top of the list, so I continue to entertain the thought that maybe one day ... So what made you decide against the Tapmaster? Perhaps if you share with me, I will finally give up on getting one myself.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Once I had actually selected everything and put in my orders I didn't change much at all. Changing is the way to ruin (financially)!! So I put in a lot of time trying and testing and asking questions here and living with samples and running around with my GC and even teaching him where the better place for windows was...

I changed my mind about the windows. I was going to keep them as is, but was convinced to move and enlarge them. I was going to have a Waltons table, but really wanted a deeper surface (30" counters just didn't work) and there was no way to get my prep fridge drawers, which was the one "just because I want it" thing, if there wasn't an island. In the very beginning I wanted an opening to the stair landing and a door to the side yard, but both were too impractical.

It was going to be whitish cabinets (a kind of white bamboo) and turquoise counters (Bioglass), to start, and this most wonderful floor that was too dark. Couldn't source the bamboo, reliably, Bioglass was too expensive and difficult, and the floor was way way way too expensive and also very dark (but gorgeous)! Instead, I went with more functional and available finishes, which was fine, because I fell in love with them. I was all ready to order the Gaggenau Vario pieces that would have been my dream stove, but Gaggenau raised the price by 38% (!!!!!!!) four days prior, so I cheaped out. I'm probably happier with what I ended up with, but I sure could have used the teppan yaki the other day! (Usually I can make do just fine without it :) )

There were a few additions to the scope of work after we signed the contract, but the only true change order I remember was moving the lightswitch and outlet in the dining room so that the door wouldn't cover it (then I decided to get a different kind of door that wouldn't cover them--c'est la vie). There was nearly a seachange on the design because I was having issues getting the backsplash tiles made right in one of the colors. Each round was another six weeks, and each delay was met with a call to the stone yard to see if they still had slabs of my soapstone. It would have been a nice kitchen with the green soapstone all around and Ann Sacks glass birds on the backsplash, but not nearly as cozy and warm.

Changing your mind in the planning is free! Try to avoid doing it later. (I'm still appalled at how much it cost to move the light switch, whereas it would have been included if it had been done with the rest of the wiring. Sigh.)

• bigdoglover
    12 years ago

I have to show this thread to DH and the cabinetmaker. Then they'll know it's not just me.
    :-)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I'm right up there with the ranks of those changing their minds.

I have installed and then removed (and this is JUST the kitchen)
    Patio door
    Laminate flooring
    Carpet
    Laminate countertop
    Stainless sink and faucet
    Wire coming up floor for island (this got moved twice and then pulled out - still have one hole in the floor)
    One wall

Two wall cabinets (they got rebuilt)
    The worst was getting talked into dark stained cabinets, then hating them once they were installed and going back to white painted cabinets.

I also had bought all the hardware for the cabinets, then decided I liked ORB better than antique brass - at least those could go back.

I will be moving one light (new hole in the ceiling) removing the texture (that DH sprayed when we fixed the ceiling) and am thinking about taking all the crown moulding down.

The room color when from mid gray/green, then to lighter green and is now light gold. (It was beige before we started)

I won't go into how many times I changed the layout of the cabinets.

DH cringes when I tell him I want to talk about making some changes.

Most of this I blame on THIS FORUM! I'd be all set, then see something or read about something and I knew it would be perfect to incorporate into my kitchen.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Sail - I knew the Tapmaster was cool and read many raves here, but then when it came time to install it, and found out how much we'd be charged for that, I realized it was a gadget that I could resell and save on the cost of installing (more than the item itself).
    Ours was made by the same maker as our faucet, Chicago, and is not a true Tapmaster. The price was less than $100, so it was not a huge splurge. I just got so overwhelmed by the change orders from our gc and with money being tight, I could not justify spending even more for it at the time. I figured I may want it someday and then could pay a reasonable plumber to put it in while they are here for something else. The one from our gc was charging a ton for everything, probably because our gc was taking a big cut....

We even did without the light in our master closet and the outlet there because the bills were too high. Luckily, he had drawn the wires for the outlet before the gc realized, so after he just capped the wires, making it into an outlet should be fairly simple. We can pay our own reasonable electrician to put those in.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

macybaby, you are making me feel better. I have taken out a door, just to replace it, and now I want it gone again. Dh doesn't care one way or the other, but he is getting ticked about changing back and forth.

• sail_away
    12 years ago

dianalo, I thought I responded earlier, but I guess not. (Or I inadvertently responded on the wrong thread---if so, I apologize.)

Thanks for the explanation. No matter how large or small, we all have a budget, so I guess it's always going to be a matter of prioritizing and compromising. Then you add the fact that our spouses sometimes have different priorities/taste.

You've given me hope that the Tapmaster will not forever be out of reach. I think it's a perfect combination of practicality and a little "wow" factor, as well. DH is an excellent DIYer and has a knack for figuring out how things work. He did all the plumbing in our basement when we finished our basement and made it into a one-bedroom apartment---he passed all inspections (electrical, plumbing, etc.) with no problem. For any DIY projects, he's both the brains and the brawn, while I am the go-fer and cleaner-upper. So I figure he would be able to install the Tapmaster, which would obviously save us some money.

Can you tell me a little more about the Tapmaster clone by Chicago faucet? Does it work only with Chicago faucets, or with any faucet? If I found a place that sells Chicago faucets, what would I search for to find it? Maybe a less expensive version of the Tapmaster would be doable.

• sas95
    12 years ago

I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't change my mind about anything. Once I selected something, I moved onto the next decision and didn't rethink previous choices. I spent a few months trying to figure out what kind of kitchen I wanted, but when I finally found an inspiration picture that spoke to me, I chose all the kitchen finishes in one day. My cabinet person thought it was hilarious that I kept apologizing to him for tying up his time in the showroom selecting drawer pulls-- it took me a whole 20 minutes!

I think I, personally, work better just going with my gut and not agonizing over each decision. In fact, in our reno, the room that I'm the least happy with (the master bath) was the one where I was the least decisive.

• carybk
    12 years ago

Some things took me (and are still taking me-- BS anyone?) ages to decide. Didn't change my mind on many once I had decided.

• zeebee
    12 years ago

(*waving hand in air*)

Planning stages, and changing my mind a million times. First about appliances: went from knowing for sure I wanted an Aga 6-4 to wanting a rangetop and wall oven to wanting a gas range. Now dithering about fridge-freezer - larger to accommodate DH's wine and beer, or smaller with separate beverage fridge, and how small/large of a fridge do we really need, and where would a separate bev fridge go if we went that route? I'm dealing with a fairly limited space, and my appliances will go a long way toward determining my layout. So why can't I decide on the darn things already?

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, how I can relate to those of you who changed (are changing) their minds during planning! I have a vision of what I want, but I'm so worried about getting everything right that I keep going back and forth. Good advice about "better now than later!"

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

Shoot, I can't get past the painted white vs. dark stained cabinets stage. Fortunately (I think), big layout changes aren't an option that we are considering, my head would probably explode.

Although, I must say, typically once I make a decision (final!) and commit I tend to not look back. I just need my contractors to get back to me so I can make the decisions FINAL and move on.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

As people are coming in to see our new kitchen I always tell them "I learned a lot about myself in this process. I thought I was a decisive person, turns out I am not!" Picking a counter top was gut wrenching for me.

• nikkidan
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm not feeling so bad now! I have disclosed from the very beginning, however, to my contractor, cabinet maker, and the place where we got our flooring that I'm super indecisive, unsure of my design/color abilities. And I reminded them of that each time I changed my mind, or doubted any decisions too!

Really, it's easier for me to list what I haven't changed...Dura-ceramic flooring in "Chocolate", and the 1X1 glass/slate tile for the border in the master shower. Thats IT...those are the only 2 things in this whole build so far that I saw, fell in love with, had to have, and didn't stray from. When we picked the flooring (the 1st time) Dh was with and I couldn't decide between two carpets so I let him choose..I haven't changed that, I don't dare!

The house is framed, roof is done, windows are in, plumbing rough in is done, electrical rough in is in the works. Something tells me, there will be a "few" more things in this process for me to change my mind about!

From the floor planning stage, to Siding, windows (brand, size, color, grilles, placement, type), shingles (brand, style, color), kitchen layout, island shape, cabinet wood, cabinet stain color, outlets, other electrical and plumbing specifics, TV's on wall or not, fireplace or not, ceiling fans or not, laundry room window (changed that a few times)...oh gosh, I could go on and on! My DH just doesn't understand how it can be so hard for me!

I'm a visual person though...I need to see it to see if I'm going to like it...I can't imagine how it's going to look. The next 6 weeks or so are going to be rough...and it's all going to be worth it!

• LMM170
    12 years ago

This thread had me laughing. I was the change order queen. My kitchen designer cringed every time I called. I got used to the comment " you know this will be extra!". All in all, I am glad with the changes.

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

Raising hand here and not sheepishly

Thought I wanted white cabs & checkerboard flooring - hmmm ended up w/mahogany cabs & white oak flooring

Thought I wanted separate cooktop & wall ovens - then when I went through the layout realized how much counter would be lost & how much extra cost in cabinetry that idea was dashed. Then thought I wanted dual fuel - ended up with all gas range

Pantry placement was trial/error, orig did not have refrig paneled on sides, that has paneled sides

Several renditions of floorplans, cabinet placement, many stone samples, paint samples, hardware samples, The appliances took months to order - Many, many trips to showrooms & dealerships -

So, yes, this is a process. Thankfully I dont have a single regret and the kitchen was completed nearly 6 yrs ago, so I would know if there were regrets...

Best to you, plan, plan, plan - keep your eyes wide open & be open to ideas, feedback, constructive criticism. Use tape, boxes and the likes to layout your plan - I'm sure most here will attest if you "use" your kitchen, you need function, function, function - first

• rbpdx
    12 years ago

Backsplash debacle last week and averted. (RIPPED IT OUT and now left with uneven wall courtesy of DH (I speckled better than him yet he insisted in doing so..)

I ordered 6 dift sinks, 2 dift faucets.

Agonized over sink holes, granite choices, cabinets.

Most decisions were made based on $$ (budget is super strict)

Wanted under cabinet lighting but balked at pricing (will be using battery operated ones from Amazon instead $30 vs $300)

Many 'discussions' with DH. DH rolling eyes..

Salivating at other peep's kitchen on GW.... There will be a next time......

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I don't even think about things as changing my mind.

I am one who doesn't have an inspiration kitchen, nor a "look" I am aiming to complete.

Making my kitchen as slowly as I am, I find things I like, and if some better idea (thank you GW) comes along, I just modify what I've made.

I admit to some wasted money, but not a lot given I reuse. Some things I donate back to the Community Forklift and consider it a charitable deduction.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way things are developing.

The biggest change for me is that I'm going to rip out the built-in cabinets under my peninsula, the lazy susan, and the 24" next to it and the sink. I found beaded inset cabs I want and am going to attempt to put a microwave cabinet, a corner-future-lazy-susan, and a garbage pull-out in their place. Wish me luck.

At least the eye rolling is reserved for me from me!

• jamiecrok
    12 years ago

I was set until I saw so many pictures on this forum and cool gadgets. My husband hated me while we were working on our cabinet drawings. He finally told me I could only have one more set of revisions.

I discovered that most of what I second guessed was fine to begin with. Once I got my plan of action I was good. Also I discovered that you can't let anyone try to sway you. Most of the changes came from me taking back control from doing what DH or subs wanted.

The other thing that helped is to remember you can always change it later in ten years when you want to re-style anyway so don't stress over it!

One thing I do have sore feelings about is the window over the kitchen sink. DH wanted me to do the standard size for price considerations. I wanted to do a big double window. The window guy told me they never really do those, so I did one just a little bigger than what they wanted but not what I had wanted. Since that is something that will be pretty impossible to change with all brick exterior and being so high off the ground(walk out basement below) I have accepted it.

The only thing that helps with the window thing is I really won every other battle after that:)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Not really. We added on several rooms and gut reno'ed most of the rest, a 2yr endeavor.

I have 30+ change orders. The very terminology sets my teeth on edge because I am a very decisive person. I didin't change my mind much at all. Honest.

For the most part, many change orders should be called:
    The-building-department-wanted-this-who-knew?-orders
    We-forgot-an-allowance-for-this-orders
    We-didn't-know-you-had-such-good-taste-orders
    You-wanted-WHAT?-orders

The biggest change we made was to totally scrap our kitchen layout as my DH was the only one clear headed enough to declare "a 19 foot island is plain stupid".

The only other big change was making some of the new windows dormer windows.