SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

It's beginning to look a lot like a kitchen...

artemis78
13 years ago

...soon we'll have a sink!

Then the countertop crew will come

(I'm glad that the walls are plumb!)

There's trim to fix, but first we'll mix a drink...

(With apologies to Meredith Willson...clearly I have been dwelling on this kitchen for way too long!!)

But---yay! We have (some) cabinets!

In general, I'm happy with them. The quality is better than I had hoped for, and our cabinetmaker is being very good about tweaking/fixing (some problems his, some ours, but all getting fixed with no questions). We hit a few kinks---the cutting boards are not quite what I wanted (envisioned fully framed boards, like our old ones---see the other thread on that) so we have to decide what to do about that. The fridge cabinet, which was made an inch too deep, and the broom closet, which was made five inches too deep, both went back to the shop to be adjusted. Still, we got enough installed to tackle the sink so we can get the counter templated, and to have the electricians come finish up this week---yippee! So while these are getting tweaked, we'll get that stuff rolling and figure out/order hardware for them.

The gray cabinets (BM Sea Haze) are lighter than we thought they would be based on the sample (we made an eleventh hour change in paint colors, so had to rely on the BM color sample pots painted on a sheet of paper, rather than an actual sample door like we'd gotten for our initial color picks), but I think it will work. Would have gone darker in retrospect, though. I'm still lukewarm on the wall color (BM Wales Green---not as chartreuse as it looks in these photos, since the lighting is awful right now---more like a "spring green") but not feeling strongly enough about it to repaint---our other option is BM Fresh Cut Grass, which I'm afraid might be TOO bright---so it stays for now. Considering the possibility of painting one wall a darker or accent color, but no clear ideas on that yet either...

But on the success front, I love the BM Acadia White (which we have throughout our house, but I had some last-minute panics about it since we never really opened up the "which white?" debate for the kitchen---would it be too creamy/yellow? Nope!) And the angled cabinet, which I thought I would hate, I LOVE, at least aesthetically. (We'll see functionally when the shelf is in and door is hung!) It absolutely works in the space, though, which was a major concern throughout the process. I was worried the pot drawers would make the room look strange, and that we had brought the cabinets too close to the doorway on the range wall--no on both counts. The fridge and broom closet cabinets, which were briefly in place before heading back to the shop for tweaks, are also perfect (and hopefully still will be when they return!)---I can see straight through from our dining room to our backyard even *before* they shaved off the extra inches, so I'm super excited about that, since it was my other big design worry.

I'm lukewarm on the slab fronts for the deep inset drawers, which I really pushed for. DH hates them (I believe his exact words were "hmm, this might be grounds for divorce..." :) The drawers were supposed to be about an inch shorter, which might have helped, but maybe not. Ah, well. Current dilemma: what hardware to use? We are using thin Mission-style handles on everything else, but I'm thinking these big slabs need something a little chunkier---maybe rectangular bin pulls, or something that would take up some space on the fronts? Any ideas?

Anyway, we're still far from finished and far behind schedule, but getting closer and closer---and still on budget! Dishwasher, range hood, and sink are all queued up for installation this weekend....woohoo! Now if I can just finish up all these work deadlines before then, we'll be good to go.

Comments (20)