SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

help me pick laminate flooring

muscat
16 years ago

I am trying to pick a laminate floor for the kitchen. I'm not limited to just these choices, but I brought home about 15 samples from one place, and this is what remains.

The first pic shows the size/shape of the whole room. The kitchen opens in to the diningroom (where I'm standing to take the pic) and then to my right would be the livingroom. Sorry for the remodeling mess, but I know y'all understand... :)

{{!gwi}}

Most of the walls will have upper cabinets, but the far wall will remain somewhat open with a chimney hood and potrack. Appliances will be stainless, and the granite is "volga blue"- fairly dark. You can see it here, with my first floor samples:

{{!gwi}}

On the far right (A) is a faux-slate that I think I have already eliminated, since it blends into the cabinets a bit too much. The next two (right to left) are marmoleum (B and C). I could even do a pattern with those two colors, or maybe with the creamy color and some other color. The last one on the left (D) is another faux-tile that looks too yellow in this photo. In reality, it is a bit redder. This is a close-up of it:

{{!gwi}}

Then there are these:

{{!gwi}}

Continuing right to left, the first one is "virginia slate" (E), the second is "mountain mist" (F), and the last is another faux-tile, we'll call it (G)

Close ups of virginia slate (E):

{{!gwi}}

and of mountain mist (F):

{{!gwi}}

OK, I'm favoring E and F right now (the darkest ones) and I did not think I'd go for a dark floor! I like how they contrast the cabinets, and pick up the granite. I'm sort of afraid to go dark, but as you can see in the photo of the whole room, the dark charcoal area carpet that we have covering the cement right now doesn't seem to darken the room too much, so maybe it'd be ok. I'm worried that once cabiets are I the room will feel smaller, and dark will be bad.....

Thoughts? I like the idea of marmoleum, too, but it doesnt "pop" for me. They have a very dark charcoal color that seemed just TOO dark, but I'll be open minded.

Which is your favorite, or if none do it for you, what characteristics would you go for? I (so far) am avoiding wood laminates, since the only ones I really like have lots of character and grain, and that would steal from the cabinets. I like simple lines, mostly a contemporary feel bit with some warmth pulled in.

Sorry for the novel!!!

Comments (40)