SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staticfritz

Soapstone; the hardest decision on this whole project!

staticfritz
16 years ago

Ok, hi, first post!

I've been stalking this forum for a while now as my own kitchen remodel is taking shape.

I live in part of an old chicago three flat right next to wrigley field. I bought the place with an awful little kitchen knowing that I was going to gut it and re-do the whole thing.

I started in August, and have been doing all the work by myself. It's been quite an enormous project thus far, but it's moving along. I tore down a wall, redid all the electrical, tore out the floor, redid the subfloor, redid the walls....

I have a bit of a photo blog tracking the whole project:

Photoblog

and my plans:

Google Sketchup plans

Some basics,morningstar vertical carbonized bamboo floors,{{!gwi}}, open shelving instead of wall cabinets,36inch fivestar range, stainless farm sink, counters will be half butcherblock and half SOAPSTONE!

My problem is picking a soapstone! This is the hardest decision and I feel like I've been back and forth for months! I can't decide!!!

I've done so much searching and asking and playing with samples... I'm currently torn between the Mtex malibu green and the julia. I really liked the venata light too, but it was too soft. The malibu is cool because it is so different and striking, lots of green and red, but maybe it's too much? the Julia is cheaper and a more classic soapstone that's a lot quieter...agh!

Has anyone here used the malibu green or julia for counters? can I see some pictures? Tell me everything!

Thank you!

Comments (9)