SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

beginning stages of layout design

lawjedi
13 years ago

I have been toying with the kitchen layout on and off for a year - we had just started the ball rolling when our master bathroom went kaput and took all our kitchen money with it. :-P

But the bathroom is now beautiful, mold-free and not falling apart and my mind has drifted back to the kitchen design.

My current kitchen is beginning to fall apart as well - broken drawers, cabinets not in good shape... countertop lifting up. the layout isn't bad, but it's not for me.

We will not be doing the work ourselves. Dh has told me he doesn't want the walls messed with (drat!) and prefers the plumbing to stay in a similar place. The kitchen has a bkft area that is not large enough for our family. Our table is in there, but it's awkward. In the beginning stages last year, our designer came up with a banquette seating idea I LOVED, so I want to keep that. I don't want to bother the designer again until our resources are a bit closer to goal... but my mind can't stop problem-solving. I've been reading on here and am impressed with all the amazing problem solvers on the board. :-)

The issue is there are too many walkways in my kitchen - it is in the hub of a large home, a nice-sized kitchen by itself, but small in comparison to the home it's in.

Info about me: SAHM of 4 young kids (3-10yr). I do enjoy cooking and some baking. I like to be a "play with it/creative cook"- but I will never be Julia Child. With 4 kids, sometimes easy is best. I do NOT like being crowded and I imagine my future to be full of little helpers in the kitchen. While I like things to be pretty, my biggest goal is practicality and durability. Function over form.

My goals for the kitchen:

I want 30-36 inches of prep area directly to the LEFT of the cooktop/range area.

I would like a 36in cooktop/range. (but might be able to give up that dream...)

I would prefer the range/wall oven combo, but am willing to change for space reasons.

We will get a CD fridge for floor space reasons. No, it won't fit everything we need, but I have an extra freezer in the garage and will probably move our current fridge to the mudroom.

I have an AWESOME food pantry (5x8 walk-in) right next to the kitchen, so I don't need a lot of food storage IN the kitchen. (some would be good, though) ( had toyed with pushing the wall into the pantry a bit, giving up a bit of space, but dh doesn't want that wall moving. it's the wall with the range on it)

I want some bar seating. 4 is ideal, although unrealistic. I don't think I want 3 (think about kids fighting over the seats, with 1 left out...) 2 is good. 1 - I guess it's better than 0, right?

I do want a desk (or some sort of management area) near the hall to the garage. That hallway is full of all my scheduling info etc for the kids (think calendars, bulletin boards, wall bins....)

I just uploaded our current kitchen and 2 ideas I've been working with. Our current kitchen layout is easily readable - the ideas were in pencil and it doesn't look like it scanned so well.

Here is a link that might be useful: layout ideas

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH