SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

New build in design stage- layout help appreciated!

Thank you for all the knowledge I've gained just from lurking! We are in design stage of a traditional farmhouse style build in rural setting. We are a family of four who likes to eat :) I cook mostly from scratch and it's not uncommon for me to cook three meals a day. I do seasonal canning and bake several times a week. The kids help with meal prep.

Some needs/wants-

- Large pantry for canning storage and large food purchases. I would love to squeeze a fridge and upright freezer in. At very least a small fridge is a must.

-Baking area so I can leave mixer out and ingredients close by. I would love to have this in pantry area along exterior wall for natural light.

- Two dishwashers flanking clean up sink.

- Island for eating quick meals, serving buffet style meals off of and for kids getting homework help while I cook dinner. Preferably we could have seating on one side and a corner so we aren't eating lined up in a row.

- Keeping room area featuring fireplace. The goal is a small comfortable place for hubby to talk w me while I finish dinner prep, a place for me to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning while still keeping an eye on morning chaos. A spillover area for guests to hang out while I cook etc.

-Prefer to not have large clean up sink or cooktop on island. (Prep sink ok)

Our architect (who is eligible for sainthood after putting up with many changes) has developed a wonderful space. I'd like some input with the layout of the kitchen area.

I would like to eliminate the yellow highlighted wall and instead feature one island that runs perpendicular to the wall that divides pantry and kitchen. Similar to this layout our architect developed but using the space above-

Appliances/zones that need placing- gas cooktop w hood, refrigerator, double wall oven, microwave, cleanup zone/sink with two dishwashers, prep sink in island If needed.

I'm open to any ideas and thoughts from all the very talented kitchen gurus! And thank you in advance for your time.

Comments (11)