SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

OT- Marcolo, why were sunrooms so popular, in 1920s homes?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Marcolo (and anyone else, who wants to reply) I'd like to know why sunrooms were so popular, in 1920s homes? Was it more of a 'fashion statement' or was there another reason? Did it have anything to do with the flu epidemic of 1919? Was it because of the type of architecture...lots of Italian and Spanish influences?

I've been doing some research and looking at a few of the old home plans, mainly in library books, and it just made me wonder. They're referred to as sun room, sun porch or sun parlor, in most of the plans. We have an old sun porch, on the side of the farmhouse, which I'm thinking about redoing. It seems to fit the 1920s addition (which I believe was the porch and first bathroom) and I like the idea of a sunny spot, in the winter.

Although the house was built in 1904, my favorite details seem to be from the 1920s addition, which remains in the back rooms (trims, moldings, windows, etc.) but the front rooms were 'redone' in the 1950s addition, which added the larger living room, bedroom and second bath. That skinny trim is so not my taste...although I'm sure many love it :)

Comments (27)