SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

Please help me with small kitchen layout!

jenny1963
13 years ago

My husband and I are in the planning stages of a large renovation of a small urban cottage in the Chicago area. Part of what we're doing is re-doing the main floor by moving the stairwell into the middle of the house, separating it into two main spaces, (each roughly 19' x 19' ): the front living room with fireplace/bar, and the back half of the house into kitchen, dining area and sitting area/tiny family area. The living room will also be used as a kind of family room, as will the finished basement. We have a 6 year old daughter and a large Bernese Mountain Dog (100 lbs.)

Our current kitchen is a small and dysfunctional U shape with narrow aisle (33") and a peninsula, as well as rough, stained tile countertops with WIDE grout lines (in an effort to look rustic, I suppose.)

Our plan is to knock down a wall between the kitchen and daughter's room to enlarge the kitchen and bring more light into it, as well as update it. We're turning the kitchen into an L-shape, with an island (and island seating for 3-4.) We also want to create a comfortable dining area for both casual and more "formal" occasions (shown on plan as the banquette area,) and a lounging area (shown on plan as the L-shaped couch, tucked into a bump-out) to hang out in our light-filled southerly exposed back of house, which opens onto our deck and then to our lush backyard (lol! remember, we're in Chicago!)

I'm having problems figuring out where to put the appliances. I'm planning on a new fridge (maybe french door or single door/bottom freezer,) and new sink (or two.) I have a newish Bosch dishwasher (We have no window to speak of in our actual kitchen (other than a very small glass block window,) but the other walls in the room are decently windowed, with the southern wall being almost entirely windows. We are going to create an interior window from the kitchen (immediately to the left when you "walk" into the kitchen--the window will be in the upper part of the kitchen wall above the countertop) into the open stairway and thus into the living room, to layer and enlarge the space visually.

The attached schematic is a preliminary sketch that our architect drew (after I removed the range and sink, because I wasn't sure I wanted my main sink or range in the island until I conferred with the TKO experts on GW.)

(I apologize for the LAME way I posted the layout, but will improve on this if given suggestions. What software works best for laying out plans here?)

TIA!

jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Proposed Kitchen Schematic

Comments (11)