SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Your thoughts on this cabinet vs flooring issue???

warmfridge
14 years ago

Part of my remodeling plan is to have lower cabinets which are about 2" taller than my existing ones (to accommodate a back injury) and replace the countertops. I'm trying to figure out if the current cabinets can be placed on some sort of a platform to elevate them vs. new custom-made taller cabinets. If I reuse the current ones, I will also need to have some kind of pullouts or drawers put into them, and extend the island cabs to include a trash pullout. I plan to replace the 30'' uppers with 42'' uppers for more storage space and to eliminate the dust collection area above. All of these cabinets are nearly new and look nice, but are not very ergonomic. The kitchen is small, basically one corner of a great room with an island, the layout is OK, and plumbing/electrical are not being moved, so new cabinets would basically be a 1:1 replacement.

I think the stove and DW must be placed on some sort of a platform to bring them up to the new counter height, yes?

When my kitchen was originally built, the peripheral cabinets were put in place, then the subflooring and vinyl, then an island placed on top of the vinyl. (Disclaimer: I bear no responsibility for this.) This vinyl is nearly new, very nice looking, and would be expensive to replace.

For reasons of economy as well as eco-friendliness, I would like to reuse as much of my nearly new, existing furnishings as possible. At this point, I'm thinking that I should go with new custom-made cabinets in the sizes I need, and as long as the new base cabinets are at least as deep as the existing ones, the gaps in the subflooring can be filled and the vinyl can be left alone (and donate the old cabs to HfH or something). Which brings up another question...what are the chances that my kitchen can be remodeled without the builders ruining the existing vinyl?

And one more question, who is responsible for making sure everything fits together appropriately? Does a cabinet-maker know how much to allow for countertop thickness so the cabinets are built at the right height? And do most custom cab-makers also make pullouts and things, or do I need to find ones from Rev-a-shelf or a similar company? Or do these companies even make things to fit extra-tall cabs? If nobody makes pullouts for tall cabs, I might as well keep the old ones and put them on a platform of some sort.

Sorry this is so long, but this stuff is really the crux of my whole approach to redoing the kitchen.

Comments (7)