SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Please teach me how to use a dishwasher!

artemis78
13 years ago

Okay, I'm not a *total* idiot, but our new dishwasher will be my first this decade, and DH hasn't used a dishwasher since the early 90s. I'm curious to know how we should plan to use this thing, since I've heard that technology has changed in dishwashers in recent years.

Big questions:

- Do we scrape dishes clean/"pre-rinse" (= dog in our house!)? Does the dishwasher clean more or less effectively with food bits left on the plates? (I've read that the food bits help, but not sure if this is true.)

- Can we put (dishwasher-safe) pots in? I'm thinking yes, but want to be sure...

- Still no wood (spoons, cutting boards) in dishwasher, or has that changed?

- We probably will only fill this once every other day or so---what happens to dishes with hardened food on them? Can the dishwasher handle that, or do we need to be sure to get that off first?

Dishwasher is a Miele Inspira, no food particle grinder thingy in it. Water is pretty normal (not particularly hard or soft, according to water district). We plan to use the Miele tabs to start with, and then explore other detergents once everything is happily working with those. Any other particular factors I should be paying attention to? Thanks!!

Comments (9)