SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen_angst

kitchen plans, please advise

kitchen_angst
14 years ago

We are planning to remove the wall between the current kitchen and dining room to allow better flow and more guest hangout space in the kitchen. The photobucket links below shows pictures of the current kitchen and dining room and the draft floorplan and elevations for the remodel.

current kitchen

kitchen plans

Please provide your expert GW advice!

One of my main questions right now regards the prep sink. I had envisioned a sink to the left of the cooktop with a faucet that could function as a potfiller (ala erikahn). The sink would have a cover insert. To do this though I think I need to either remove or elevate the cabinets and I'm not sure about that. Maybe I don't need a prep sink at all -- I have never had one. I am also not in favor of a prep sink in the island as I want one unbroken stretch of space that does not involve water.

Other details

Appliances: 36" integrated r/f; 36" induction cooktop; 30" double oven; 2 d/w

Single cook kitchen; 2 person household; freq informal entertaining

Baking is not a focus

Other questions

Best place for the trash pullout

Advisibility of cabinets extending to ceiling (we're removing the current soffits)

Best flooring -- the most consistent would be to carry in the wood floor from the dining room but we're concerned about durability given pets and cooking spills

Countertops -- the current plan is for stainless on the south and west counters with ?granite on the island. Creamy white cabinets. It is a fairly traditional house so that is one concern about stainless but I like its functionality and would like to do something a little different.

Comments (10)