SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueskysunnyday

Please compare 2 kitchen plans and advise me

blueskysunnyday
2 years ago

Hi, everyone. I got great feedback here regarding my kitchen layout and thought I was all set with that. Then I posted for feedback on where I planned to store things and got some comments that had me rethinking things. I am not going to re-post all the measurements because I’ve had the aisle size (48”), etc. vetted by the experts here. Also, we are re-using the following elements: 48” range, 33’ fridge, 33” sink, 28” freezer drawers, 15.5” ice maker. Walls are brick, so prefer not to change windows.

Here are some highlights of the changes I made when creating Plan 2. First, I decided I would move the bar out of the kitchen and put it in the living room (on the other side of the dining room). This will be more expensive, but gives us a lot more room to work with in the kitchen. Next I moved the built in microwave (in upper cab) and freezer drawers to the former bar area. Then I moved the range to allow for some symmetry in the upper cabinets near the range. Finally, I removed the countertop cabinets near the cleanup sink because of water damage concerns. I also included a few other tweaks suggested by folks here.

I don’t love where the MW/freezers are in Plan 2. I think it would look better to have them turned facing the kitchen, but then I worry that someone coming in from the dining room might run into someone removing something hot from the microwave. I could put them next to the fridge and that would look good, but then I would have to move the pantry door to behind the fridge. All of our food will be stored in the pantry and I think it would drive everyone bonkers to have to walk around that way all the time. Direct entry into the panty from the work area seems way better. Maybe just have the freezer drawers by the dining room door, facing the kitchen, and then do a countertop MW in the pantry?

Do you think Plan 2 is an improvement over Plan 1? See any issues with Plan 2 that I am not seeing? Have thoughts on the freezers and microwave or anything else? Please chime in! Tha nks for sharing your wisdom and thoughts!

Plan 1

Plan 2

Home plan for reference

Comments (5)