SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lezstormes

Isn't it a little early in the process for this misery?

Lezli
13 years ago

After months of drawing and re-drawing and estimating costs for what we hope will be our retirement home (new construction), the plans are finished. Or ... they were. But once I started serious cabinet shopping, a number of functional challenges became very apparent in the kitchen.

Because I don't want the peninsula to extend into the great room/dining room area any further than it already does, I see no feasible way to create more space, or open up the very tight corners. In addition, the kitchen is in the front of the house so the ductwork for the hood would have to go up the wall, then all the way across the vaulted ceiling to the back of the house. There's no room in the kitchen for a separate microwave, so with that long a run of ductwork, why even bother with a microhood?

SOO - I asked to see a drawing with the kitchen moved to the back of the house -- no ceilings or exterior walls changed -- just "flip" the kitchen and dining room. That seems to help, but leaves the front of the house looking odd, I think. And I still don't know if I've fixed much other than the hood ductwork issue. Either way, the wall with the window and sink/DW is only 11'0" and not a hair more. So I've been having today what my mom would have called, "a come-apart."

But I read a statement on GW a few minutes ago; that person said, "When it got the most miserable, GW saved my sanity." Folks, I'm pretty far up the misery scale .... and sanity is wavering. Which of these two kitchens should we go with? And how should the chosen kitchen be changed? And although it's not a kitchen issue, do you have any thoughts about what to do with the front of the house if we go with the one with the kitchen in back?

I love to cook and entertain. We are trying to build this house on a very limited budget; very little funds for multiple appliances, etc., but we are going to use a custom cabinet guy. I will appreciate any help so very much ... thank you in advance ....

{{gwi:1513782}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)