SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Opinions please: Semi-gloss or Flat for ceiling crown?

12 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for GWer opinions (or input on what you'd do) for the gloss of paint for the ceiling crown moulding.

Do you match the door/window casing trim? So if it's semi-gloss around the windows, the kitchen crown molding would also be semi-gloss?

Or do you match the ceiling (which would normally be flat or ceiling-flat paint)?

----

I think (hope? fear? :-), that my GC is going to ask about paint colors for the kitchen this week.

The house was built in the 1880's, and the ceiling treatments of the rest of the rooms are different than what our kitchen has turned out to be. The rest of the rooms have these semi-coffered ceilings and the crown blends into the ceiling, and they are all painted with flat paint.

In the reno'd kitchen, the crown is a hefty (imho) looking crown (about 5 inches). I'm afraid that if it is painted in a semi-gloss, it will look too shiny against the wall and ceiling paints and call too much attention to itself high up in the room like that.

Would using satin gloss for the ceiling crown be a good compromise?

(The trim color will be BM White Dove at 150%, which is a color match to trim in other rooms, in semi-gloss).

Thanks!

Lee

Comments (8)