SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
troubled_2007

American Woodmark vs. Custom

troubled-2007
15 years ago

When I was in Home Depot picking up a faucet the other day I looked at the cabinets and someone actually had time to speak w/me. So she gave me a quote on American Woodmark, I guess because they are having 20% off - not because I requested that brand.

After I got the quote I came home and went on the internet and researched American Woodmark. Some people love the cabinets, and some people have had a lot of problems.

The custom cabinets would be about $10,000 - beautiful lyptus wood, home town shop, roll outs, and melamine interior and installation.

The American Woodmark would be about $4200 + about $1100 for installation + $200 for freight. I would have to be available on four hours notice or have someone available on that short notice to be home to receive the cabinets, and they must be inspected prior to the delivery person leaving.

I figure I would have to hire someone to do that, because I don't think I can get off work and unbox, and inspect all of those items in a short time frame. So say another $500. From what I read on the internet, damage is usual, as is blotchy glazing. In the instances I have read about on the internet (not this forum) they basically will only accept back a limited amount of problems, and then you are not assured of not getting defective product on delivery again. So knowing that there are going to be problems I would add some more money to the balance, say another $1,000 in problems and replacement costs. Also there were people saying that the American Woodmark used to be good quality but not so much so anymore. That the stock boxes sold in Home Depot or Lowe's are the same quality - and the only difference are the doors.

When I explained how I was trying to compare, the Kitchen Designer at HD became very short with me and said she would just delete it from the system. So is expressing my concerns prior to the order something I shouldn't be doing - in order to not piss off Home Depot - or should I just see this as problems to come, and add that to the balance.

So custom - $10,000 - lyptus wood, and installation and melamine.

American Woodmark - $6,000 and additional trouble?

I also wanted to get other estimates but there is this pressure of the sale ending on January 7th.

Thanks for any thoughts your have on my situation.

Comment (1)