SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalthreems

Granite installed today!!!

16 years ago

Well, my granite is being installed AS WE SPEAK. Exciting! It looks beautiful, though it is the wrong edge. I toyed with sending it back for them to fix it, but decided not to. My GC kept saying over and over, "we want you to be HAPPY! DO NOT SETTLE!" I'm glad he was watching my back and not encouraging me to just accept it. Even the granite guys were totally pleasant about it, which was nice.

The edge is an ogee which is originally what I wanted (and asked for). Then, when I went to the shop I saw the verde butterfly in an ogee edge on an example piece and wasn't pleased with the laminate edge so I asked for an ogee bullnose where the bullnose sticks out beyond the end of the ogee (so it would be an obvious demarcation for the lamination and not look like it was trying to be hidden).

Well, it came as just an ogee - the bottom is a radius edge, so I guess it's KIND OF bullnoss-like, but they didn't do the bump out (what is the technical name for that kind of edge?). You can see the laminate line if you look, but it's not horribly obvious - in fact at first I didn't notice it at all. I didn't even realize it was the wrong edge at first! I just noticed how great it looked...and then I thought, "Hmm, that's not QUITE what I expected it to look like..."

They offered to take it back to the shop and fix it, but then I found out that the edge I'd asked for actually is a 2 1/4 inch edge and the subtop would have to be built up to accommodate it and then, once installed, there would be little issues (like my appliance garage would no longer fit under the uppers and I can't move the uppers up because then the crown won't fit properly, etc). A snowball effect. And this IS the edge I originally asked for, so in that respect I am happy. The other edge would have attracted crumbs I'm sure! LOL.

I am actually very, very happy with the way it is looking at the moment (it's not all in and the seams aren't done, so let me reserve judgement and KNOCK ON WOOD - and HOPE that the only issue will be the wrong edge detail!). It's Verde Butterfly, btw.

Here's a progress picture...more to follow once done! Note the temporary legs - I can't wait for the real ones to arrive!!!

Comments (15)