SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

OT: Share winter recipes to make during the holiday break

lalithar
11 years ago

As we are in the tail end of our marathon rebuild, we are going to do a staycation this year for 2 weeks. Request from DH and DD is to make a new recipe everyday :) Thought I would post here to see what winter recipes you all love to make. Please post special treats as well as your favorite winter soups, pastas, casseroles etc..

I will kick off with a recipe I have cut out of our CSA newsletter and hope to make. Here in NoCal, we are awash in persimmons - squat fuyu ones and plump and pointy Hachiya ones. We love eating them plain but I have never cooked with persimmon and look forward to making this cake

Enjoy this recipe using our Fuyu persimmons, which are squat and firm with a sweet and delicate cinnamon taste.

FUYU PERSIMMON CAKE

Ingredients
2 tsp. baking soda
2 C. flour
3 C. chopped Fuyus
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cloves
� C. (8Tbs) soft butter
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 2/3 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 Eggs
(1 C chopped walnuts) Optional
2 tsp. lemon juice
(3/4 C raisins) Optional (I might try unsweetened cranberries instead)
2 tsp. vanilla

Grease and flour a bundt cake pan. Preheat oven to 350. Blend baking soda into chopped firm Fuyus. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat sugar into the softened butter. Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Stir in Fuyu mix. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir dry ingredients into Fuyu mixture just until blended. Optional, add walnuts and raisins.

Pour mixture into prepared bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 55 - 60 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn onto rack. Dust top with powdered sugar or eat plain and buttered with your morning coffee or tea.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!