SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justmakeit

Sink Location, or: will I ever make up my mind?

justmakeit
11 years ago

Seriously, never thought I'd spend this much time worrying about a few inches in my kitchen, but I'm back at it. I've decided, with your help, to lose the prep sink and go with a double sink, 21 inch bowl next to a left hand 9 inch bowl. I know that this is the kind of sink I want, best for the way I work in the kitchen, even though the GW tide is decidedly in favor of large single bowl sinks.

So here's the question: is it best to center the sink on the window run, in which case I have a scant 24 inches between it and the corner with the range run? Or would it be better to scootch the sink down the run away from the range, by flipping it with the dishwasher, and buy myself another two feet of space between the sink and the range?

I'd like to think I'll be prepping on the peninsula, but I'm worried that the absence of water there might pose a problem, and if I keep the sink centered, I'll be prepping jammed in between the sink and the corner. Oh, I should add that the counter runs out to meet the windows on the sink run, so it's 36 inches deep there, and the counter on the range run will be about 27 inches deep. So there is more space than it looks like, but it's in depth of counter, not width.

There's also the small problem of where the dirty dishes get put -- normally in our house, they're to the left of the sink until someone moves them to the dishwasher. We keep a dish rack and drainer to the right of the sink. *hanging head in embarrassment*

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about this. Here's what the centered sink looks like:

Comments (15)