SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsmama

Is it a huge/costly mistake to move range and vent?

gsmama
13 years ago

I thought I was ready to finalize my design but am now revisiting a core design element. I built the design around having two equal size pot/pan drawers flanking my current range (we're keeping it for now and switching out appliances in a year or two).

This will involve moving the gas range over and putting in a new hole to the outside for the over the range vent.

If I were to keep the range where it is I could use the vent opening the prior owner covered (he put in a Jenn Air range with a down draft).

My installer be bringing someone in to drill the hole for the hood and has not given us a cost for that yet. I am wanting to mitigate a high cost for this or work being stalled while we wait for this but my kitchen design and functionality will change if I change my design. My Option B design would be to repeat the drawer to the left of range and do two pot/pan drawers to the right of range but I won't get two 33" pot/pan drawers in that space.

Here's a shot of current kitchen and the only drawing of the kitchen design that I could manage to upload into this message...I think it conveys the general idea.

Anyone moved a vent who can give some perspective? I know there will be alot of costs and hiccups once installation starts that I cannot avoid and maybe I'm just reacting to the unknown but I'm wondering if I should do what I can to simplify.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (14)