SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdas_gw

Huge Mistake...Plans Attached begging kitchen layout experts help

rdas
14 years ago

I am so upset, but will spare all the details. Here's the short version: we're building a house with a builder, we have to use his KD, we complained about him, but couldn't change. We have NO expertise in any sort of design. He laid out the kitchen - I approved the plans (so my fault - I know - trust me I am so mad at myself...but honestly I was more struggling with the colors and counters - who knew).

We are building the house from the ground up - so there is nothing they have to work around. Anyhow, they installed the kitchen and it looks AWFUL. For some inexplicable reason, KD centered everything in our kitchen - the island, lights, etc BUT offset (by 11 inches) the 48 inch stainless hood (which is too big) and the range top. So, what was supposed to be the focal point of the kitchen the rangetop and hood - is now off centered. This is going to drive me crazy to look at every day. I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would lay it out like this???

So, here is the question -- is there any (painless) way to fix this. This was supposed to be our dream kitchen and it has honestly turned into a nightmare. I need to somehow move my hood and range top over 11 inches and make it look somewhat normal. I have more than enough cabinet space so hack away!

Oh, and for those of you that really like a challenge the countertops are being installed tomorrow. I will accept additional seams etc. The builder now knows how upset I am, but I doubt they will (can) do anything...so I'd love to have any suggestions ready if possible.

TIA -- if anyone of you come up with a solution -- you will have my eternal gratitude every month I pay the mortgage!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dash Kitchen Layout

Comments (35)