SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Configuration for kitchen island

avesmor
14 years ago

We are building a house and need to configure an island for the kitchen. I hope you guys can help! I posted about this house a long time ago (it has been a long time coming!) and got some GREAT advice.

We are building a custom version of a spec home. Pictures from the spec at the bottom of the post.

I do a LOT of baking and love the workspace of the island and the storage & features it provides. But I kinda hate the seating area at the end. The support columns completely block leg space. I am considering:

1. Forego the seating area and continue the island cabinetry down the full length (4x8). This gives the same workspace, and even more storage/usable island cabinetry. There is an eat-in area as well as a formal dining room so we don't NEED the stool space at the end (two stools are a tight fit in a 4' span anyway).

2. Cut the island off where the pictured cabinetry ends, reducing the size to about 4x5, but opening the eat-in area of the kitchen by 3 more feet. We could add shelves, a wine cooler, etc. to the end of the island to make it usable, or just leave it.

3. Add some more cabinetry, but not all the way to the end of the granite slab, "raise" the floating edge of granite like a true breakfast bar. The shorter granite overhang could then be supported with braces and wouldn't require the columns that take up the leg room.

4. This was a suggestion from someone else - it's not my first choice, but perhaps there's hidden value in it? Cut the granite slab in two and "hinge" the part that overhangs, make it like a drop-leaf island, with supports you could pull out from the island. I don't see pull-out supports being stable enough for granite, and I'm not sure what I think about a "hinged" workspace. Hinged = hinges = ...eww.

5. ?

Comments (18)