SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasperdog_gw

Emergency: Need help with layout

jasperdog
11 years ago

We bought a house that we were planning on remodeling. Once we got into demolition for the remodel, we realized the house had structural issues and would need to be torn down. After a year and a half of working with an architect, waiting for bank loan approval, and doing demolition by hand to save money and try to recycle materials, we are finally moving forward with actual construction.

I have fought with the kitchen layout and am having difficulty because of limitations secondary to window, door and short cabinet run on one wall.

The kitchen has an L-shaped layout to work with - 9'10" on the window/door wall and 18'18" on the other. In addition, there will be an 8' x 4.5' island. The island will have seating on two sides - opposite the window and opposite the range.

The contractor says the window must be atleast 1 ft from the door and 0.5 feet from the wall cabinets. Size is otherwise negotiable. It must have atleast one casement for venting as this is the only window area in the kitchen.

Applianaces are to include a 36" gas range and 30" wall oven. Regrigerator will either be a 42" SxS or 36" over/under. In addition a dishwasher and a microwave will have to go somewhere.

I would prefer to put a single basin main sink in front of the window with the range on the adjacent wall. All other things are negotiable and I am trying to come up with the most functional, yet asthetically appealing layout.

I have tried using available kitchen design software and end up being totally frustrated and then confused about where to squeeze some items in such as: where to put the dishwasher since the upper cabinets are only on the long wall, what type of window and size of window (can be anywere from 6' to 7 ') to put in so that the window design/arrangement will work with sink layout, and where to put a trash can pullout so that it's near the sink.

Any assitance would be appreciated as I have to decide about the window for the framers.

I will add the current architect drawing on a separate post after I figure out how to do it.

Comments (18)