SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Prepping - please riff on what and how...

aliris19
13 years ago

I am thinking about how I use a prep sink, even more generally how I prep. Can you tell me what you do please?

As far as choosing a prep sink goes, I understand that bigger is better, or at least too-small is inadequate. And too-small is probably anything under 12" or so.

But beyond that... I am having a very difficult time imagining how or what little additions to a big bowl (for prep work) might be helpful. Would a drainboard just limit one's flexibility of use? Is Blanco's "cascade" ledge similarly just fussy -- limiting utility in the end? Or does a focused use of space improve utility? Are colanders as drain-devices for veggies or fruit always useless, devolving into dish-drying racks? Or is this a function of my particular drainer or just habit?

As for cleanup sinks -- are double bowls actually needed? I've always had them, always feel they're useful -- and yet when I scrutinize my habits, I think I almost always don't use the second sink. I'll have a plastic dishpan with water in it to soak dishes, but then everyone else will just run water over the dishes to rinse them even though they could have just used the soaking water. I almost never close up a bowl and just wash in that water -- I'll utilize an already-dirty pan as ad hoc dish bowl, making it do double duty as soaker... what about you? Is a second bowl important for cleanup or just to enable prep and cleanup simultaneously?

Why is this so hard? I *know* that "only I can decide, from knowledge of my own work habits", etc, etc... but I'm wondering whether anyone has a story to share about their thinking process and understanding of their work habits that led to some clarification of what sink features turn out to be helpful for them.

Thanks....

Comments (10)