SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Pics of marble subway done (grout dried)

13 years ago

Who's going to say "I told you so!" ? ;)

Ok so I DON'T love the choice I made, but it's not terrible and I can live with it and maybe I'll find out there's a way to either darken or even lighten the grout at some point in the future (either would be an improvement).

The color is Mapei's Warm Gray. It gives the entire backsplash an overall gray impression to me (even more so during the day, and these pics were taken at night. During the day - and I know this sounds gross - it looks like the skin of a person after a makeup artist has attempted to make a person look dead!). I didn't expect the "feel" to go from white to gray - and I did prefer the main color to stay white for the most part. It matches the stainless counter a bit too much now and I wanted more warmth to compensate for the coldness of the stainless counter and also to blend in with the wood floors more, etc. (part of why I like the occasional tan veining in the calacatta marble). Just a bit too cold now. I could be wrong but I figure even if the grout can somehow be darkened - and darker grout is a more period look than this pale gray - the tile will look whiter by contrast maybe (or maybe that's a gamble - haha). If the grout's lightened - if even possible - the overall effect won't be so gray. If whiter I'd have to up with cleaning more and the risk of stains more but at least I'd have one of the two looks I like (white marble or aged/period subway).

Does anyone see what I mean or do the pics not show it well? I don't mean to sound like I'm whining and it's a VAST improvement from the way the backsplash/countertop area was before - that's for sure! I'm not unhappy - just explaining how I feel in case others of you might "get it" - others who are as picky about such details as I am!

Another post (thread) to follow, asking for upper cab/trim paint color advice, now that the main colors are in place below...

p.s. I WONDER WHEN THE HECK MY CONTRACTOR WILL BE PUTTING ON THE INTEGRATED DISHWASHER DOOR OR THAT MISSING BIN PULL!!?

Comments (53)

• 13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think your backsplash looks lovely. Agree that the grout accents the beautiful veining and also agree that metal light switch and outlet covers may be a better choice.

• 13 years ago

Yes but for a "period" look the gray would have to be darker. As for the '80's, young chica you, ;) I agree that the tiles were square but I mean that goofy paleness (along with goofy neon, if we were talking clothes) is what I mean. It's hard to describe what I mean. But all I have to do is think about the way it was before and I feel okay. Let's see if I can dig up a before pic...you ready? Brace yourself now!!!

• Related Discussions

DIY budget elegant bathroom, almost done: pics...

Q

Comments (95)
    I'm very sorry I did not answer the questions from the last few years... I've been out of reno mode for a while :) It's probably too late, but here are the replies: @walkin_yesindeed - the vanity finish has held up just fine. However, it's not the original paint. We sanded and re-painted with new Ben Moore bathroom paint. No issues with dampness (we do run the fan for every shower, though.) @kirkhall - I have NOT been happy with the touted un-stainable-ness of the epoxy grout on the floor. I mean, it's better than regular grout, but it didn't stay white no matter how much I cleaned it. It looks fine, since the tile is multi-toned, but it's definitely not still white. The shower grout, however, has held up extremely well. @SparklingWater - I don't recall the demo being terribly difficult, but that may be because I knew what to expect from other parts of the house. It was tile over a dense cement. @MrsD - I think the grout color is standard white. @MayaEoff - Our tub is the standard 30" size.
    ...See More

Daily life with marble countertops - dried espresso

Q

Comments (19)
    Melissa--I have the 511 impregnator recommended by my marble fabricator. She said that the 511 sold at HD, which is less costly, looks very similar but won't give the same results. I'm not sure if that is the case or not. This bottle was somewhere around $50 I think. My fabricator gave it to me so I'm not sure of the exact price. I sealed my Carrara three times upon install 16 months go and used very little of the bottle despite having lots of counter space. I was thinking about doing another round of sealer sometime in the near future, not because I'm getting any staining, but because I think it's beginning to wear off around the rangetop and cleanup sink where I wipe most often. My bottle of sealer should last many years. My espresso machine is in the corner next to the stand mixer so I don't always see any spills. I'm not saying that DH is the one that spills on a rare occasion, but I will say that I do NOT spill any of my morning magic. ;)
    ...See More

diy venatino marble backsplash done - pics

Q

Comments (34)
    pinkelephant (love the name btw), I did seal it once before grouting. Then it said to seal it once after about a month...I still have that to do. I had kind of a panic attack when I was installing it, as I didn't realize that when the back of the tile comes in contact with the wet thinset it makes the marble look SOOO weird and splotchy! Luckily I did some harried research on the web, and it is normal, and once the thinset dried it looked fine. Just an fyi if you use these tiles. Make sure you use thinset for marble, not mastic. sprt, peony and baltra - thanks! eventually, the reveal will be posted, still lots of details to finish first (including getting a hood for crying out loud!). I am so over this remodel and ready to be DONE!
    ...See More

Please Help! Polished Marble Mosaic Tile Dull After Grout? Pics Inside

Q

Comments (3)
    HI Fori, it has been a couple days since we've installed the tile so we are sure they are dry by now. Here is another picture of our tile before grout vs. after grout under the same lighting/brightness conditions; Also thanks for the advice, I'll also post it in the bathroom section and see if that helps as well.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Island - sorry I did't see your post before submitting my last one. Thanks for liking. The white light switch plates are metal in fact (note that they're for the push-button style which are hard to find in white) but yes I see your point! Thanks!

• 13 years ago

Dear Theresse, Sorry! I can't see what you don't like about the grout in the pictures you've shown us. I think it looks perfect. Congrats. The grout sets the tiles off just enough to make them graphically stand out. And you were able to accomplish this with your lightest of the three grout colors you showed us in your previous post. (If I understand your selection correctly.) And, as Artemis78 says, it beautifully pulls out the darker gray veining in the marble tiles.

• 13 years ago

I am sorry you are not thrilled but I agree it looks beautiful. Every time I have seen a picture of your cabs/hardware I just say "WOW, BEAUTIFUL".

• 13 years ago

Theresse,

I read your posts last night but I was too tired to type.

I think it looks beautiful and the grout lines pop perfectly in the picture. (I do realize from my own experience pictures do not always reflect exactly what I actually see.)

But it does look beautiful. I have loved all of your choices so far. I agree that darker switch plates would make the tile look whiter if that is the look you want.

I keep thinking about you 80s comment and for the life of me I don't know what look you are referring to. My friends and I were all in starter homes and we were excited to use the square ceramic tiles at the time. And all of our parents were in homes built prior to the '80s...so hmmm?

Unless you are thinking of the pickled wood cabinetry that was in style? Was that during the '80s? I can't remember. I'm only basing that on your written description of the makeup because I don't get that feeling at all from the picture. Or, maybe it was a regional thing?

• 13 years ago

I think it looks amazing!! The grout really brings out the veining in the marble and picks up the color of the countertop! I think you made a great choice! I do agree with doing something about the switchplates. It's worth a try to see what would look better!
    Congrats on a beautiful backsplash!!

• 13 years ago

Another vote for I *really* like it and maybe change out the switchplates.

• 13 years ago

It does look soft now. Live with it a few weeks and see what you think then.

Definitely consider metal (nickle, pewter) switch plates to unify the look a little more. Maybe even an antiqued brass or an orb color like your top cabinets if you're concerned about too much silvery metal.

• 13 years ago

If you do not want to go to the expense to buy new plates off hand, then buy some metallic spray paint and paint one plate and install and see if you like it.

Like others, I think your back-splash came out great :)

• 13 years ago

I think it looks perfect! But sometimes it looks completely different in a picture. I would live with it for a while....you'll probably learn to love it :)

• 13 years ago

If you don't like it, send it to my house, because I love it :) I think the whole thing matches beautifully and looks lovely and the beauty of the marble veining is highlighted.

• 13 years ago

I think it is really beautiful. I think once you deal with the switch plates you will like it more. Maybe even the unfinished DW door is throwing you off. You did a great job. Your kitchen is one of my favorites.

• 13 years ago

I think it looks lovely!

Another option for your switchplate (if you don't want metal breaking up the BS) is to make one from the same marble. You can find calcatta marble switchplates by googling, or this place will make a custom one for you from a piece of your own tile or backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom switchplate

• 13 years ago

Theresa,

I just wanted to echo others and say I think it looks great.

Having said that I also wanted to say that watching the progress on yoru kitchen in particular has been really great. It's definitely on the short list for my GW Favs.

• 13 years ago

Definitely give it a few weeks to grow on you. I suspect that you will really like it.

The visible grout lines go with the period look of your cabinets and provide a subtle background for that amazing piece of sculpture that is your faucet. And, of course, the look is great with your stainless counters.

If the brightness of the switchplate continues to bother you after a few weeks, you might take it off and paint it a color that matches the socket cover panel, which blends in more with the marble. Or, you might be pleased that your your cool anachronism stands out.

It really does look great.

• 13 years ago

Having a couple of silver grouts in a bathroom (latricrete I think - silver shadow & pewter) I totally understand what you are feeling about the gray grout. The best I can describe it is that the silver shadow grout has a strange sort of glow to it. If I could turn back the clock I would have gone with the true vintage gray non-color - can't think what it is called.

I don't think you should lose sleep over your backsplash. You can't know if you'd feel the same if you'd used either of the other two colors. It really still looks fabulous and once you forget what you thought it should look like... contentment.

I agree about changing the outlet covers.

• 13 years ago

Theresse, here's your tile with a deeper grout and a much deeper grout. They are all pretty, but it depends on the look you are going for. Hope this helps you decide.

• 13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! Absolutely love its vintage, homey vibe. I think in the photos, the grout looks like it complements the veining perfectly. I understand if it looks different in real life. Hope you find an easy way to be happier with it.

• 13 years ago

I agree with the others that it looks wonderful. Just love your period cabs/hardware everything. c

• 13 years ago

Wow- I really like the grout color you've chosen. I agree with the Polished nickel light switch covers though- they certainly would look warmer than the white. I just love your kitchen btw- your choices are perfect for your home and go so well together. Very classic look.

Will you be keeping the ORB butterfly hinges on the upper cabs once you repaint them? If you do, have you thought about the ORB switch covers? I have white subway tile, and used Rejuv's ORB switch plates with their push button switches. I think they look great, but I wanted them to stand out from the tile, and you may not be looking for that.

Byw- I have been lusting over your faucet for the past couple of weeks! Care to share what brand it is? It's so hard to find wall mount faucets that have so much function. TIA.

• 13 years ago

I would like it just a wee bit darker as in the bottom photo as it has a more period look. The top one is really too deep, but works if you want that look. The slightly deeper grout makes the tile a little more distinct as it looks a bit fuzzy with that light grout color and hard to focus on. I think that's what you were referring to when you thought it should be darker or lighter. Your kitchen is gorgeous and there's not really any right or wrong choice.

I really don't know if the small difference is really worth bothering with, but I don't think it's hard to darken if you want to. I just wanted you to see how they all look so you don't have to keep wondering about your choice. The number of choices you have to make doing a kitchen is staggering and you can always second guess yourself on all of them and drive yourself crazy :-(.

• 13 years ago

Ok, I will say it "I tolja, I tolja" ;)

I had suggested a white grout to match the tile. The gray is not bad but white is the perfect match for white marble tiles. Simple as that. Gray unnecessarily outlines the shapes of the tile. Any thing darker would make it worse. I can live with what you have. White would have been perfection!

So I have said it here and any other threads that ask the same question.

• 13 years ago

You keep saying VAST improvement compared to the original like a consolation prize, but it's a beautiful backsplash in it's own right! Regardless of grout color it will never be period with a stainless countertop, which is also terrific BTW. I'm sure you'll love it all together when you get the trim painted and everything else done.

I also don't get 1980's unless you're talking about your original tile countertops. I had similar when we bought our house new in the 1980's. Builder grade kitchen with the typical cab of he time, cheap whitewashed oak which was dated in no time. After a few years the cabs took on a pinkish hue. Talk about creepy flesh tone. Yuck couldn't wait to tear all that out and 10 years later I'm ready to tear out again. Your backsplash is an inspiration.

• 13 years ago

I love your backsplash! And, I agree with the posters who say to try swapping out the switch plates. With the two different shades of white next to each other, it looks like you tried to match and "missed." Pick another color from the room to repeat.

• 13 years ago

Here it is with white grout. A whole other look. The higher end showrooms seem to show it with the white grout, but then again the deeper grout is more of the period look the OP was going for. There's no right or wrong one. They all can work. It's just a matter of what is most pleasing to you.

• 13 years ago

I really like it too, but I agree with the suggestion to try a different switchplate...I don't think the current ones go with the tile regardless of the grout.

• 13 years ago

LOL about the death make-up look! Honestly, I can't see that in the photos, but I know that pics don't always capture what you see in person. It looks fabulous to me. Personally, I don't like white grout with marble, and I don't think it would bring more warmth. I think one step darker gray (like the second pic blondelle posted) would look great, if you feel you really can't live with it as is.

• 13 years ago

It must look different in person because I just love it!
    I have to agree about the switchplates as much as it pains me. I am sure the ones you got were not bargain basement, so I hate to recommend replacing. I bet you could re-sell them on ebay though.
    FWIW - I don't think the white grout would have been a better look with your tiles. It looks great in many applications, but I think it would do the same as the switchplates if you got one too white.

I think your kitchen is coming out gorgeous and I'd love to see ours do even close. ;)

• 13 years ago

theresse, your kitchen is one of my favorites, I love your cabinets and that wonderful counter top. I think your back splash looks great with them. If you can change or paint the outlets it will make a big difference to how you see the back splash.

I don't understand the 80's kitchen comment either. The last time I did a kitchen remodel was in the mid 80's (laminate cabinets with that oak trim) and trust me there is nothing of your back splash that remotely reminds me of the 80's.

• 13 years ago

theresse, I'm sorry you're unhappy with the grout, but I think your BS is beautiful! I love it with your stainless counter and cabs. We bought our first house in the 80's, and your BS doesn't look like any I saw in the 80's. I hope the change in switch plates will help you like it more.

• 13 years ago

I agree that it, and everything, looks beautiful. Can you tell me color and make your bottom cabinet paint is? Love the color.

• 13 years ago

OK I am joining the people who LOVE it EXACTLY how it is! It makes the marble look soft/light/airy/floaty to me. I am not a fan of white grout for a backsplash - it always looks dirty no matter how well it is sealed. And darker would not help IMO.
    Ours came out looking a little bit pink which is not what I wanted either but everyone loves it so who cares?

• 13 years ago

I like it. It could just be how it shows up on my monitor. I think everything looks great so far.

Kathe

• 13 years ago

Your grout is good. Good match with other things. Good way to pull that grey out of the tile so that it's a design factor in the room. There's no way that grays and stainless are going to provide a tan brown, so there's no reason for surprise. You have a stainless, black, grey, and white kitchen with interesting marbling. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. The floor is counterpoint but the kitchen is not seen from a very long perspective so floor doesn't affect the eye as much as the upper areas do.

Strongly urge you to find another metaphor for the look of the tile&grout. Your mind is working against your eyes. Think about the finest marble buildings and rooms you know, a classy place. Get a metaphor from that and use it so that it replaces old metaphor in your head. Your kitchen project is NOT derailed by grout.

• 13 years ago

Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for all your responses! I'm sorry it took SO long to get back to you. Every time I sign on to respond (several attempts actually!), I get called away and then I end up having to come back to it later cause I'd like to respond to all of you at once instead of only getting back to some of you! I appreciate both the positive feedback (which yes feels good to read, I admit) as well as the "I tolja" one Pharaoh and others (Bmorepanic etc) who agree with what I'm saying a little!

I will respond in 3 posts just to make it all appear a bit less overwhelming!

Just to be clear - in case I wasn't clear - I DO like the backsplash. Just cause there were two images I had in mind beforehand (either would have been good) and this one wasn't one of those images, doesn't mean I can't accept this unexpected one. I agree that when the cabs and trim have been painted and those outlet and switch plates replaced, the white will look whiter. :)

BTW, I can't believe none of you are freaking out about my before pics! Wasn't my kitchen HORRID?Hellooooo?? ;)

Let's see, where was I...

Francoise - thank you for liking it!

Eandhl - thanks for the cabs/hardware compliment (can't take the credit as these came with the old house and are original) and I'm glad you like the tile!

Irishcreamgirl - (your name always makes me want a drink so badly!)... The 1980's comment was just my referring to how back then popular colors in general (re. clothing, home decor, etc.) were pastels or neon colors and the light gray felt very "pastel-y" to me. While certainly not bad, I either wanted the room to feel edgy in its oldness (darker grout) or else more delicate and traditional-also classy in its white marbleness but the light gray felt slightly - and I mean ever so slightly - more cute and whimsical than I was after. I realize I'm just about the only one to see that though. I'm a very sensory-oriented person and nuances such as these don't often go unnoticed by me - but again it's a personal taste thing so I'm not saying others aren't also sensitive to nuances or sensory themselves! But I do like it so no worries and thank you for liking it!

Swhite - thank you! I'll get other switch plates - enough of you have suggested doing so! :)

Gsciencechick - thank you for *really* liking it - haha - and yes to the darker switchplates.

Bmorepanic - Great advice, thank you! I can't decide which would look better - the ORB or PN but I agree that both would be an improvement. Maybe I'll get both (why not?!) and see which looks better as long as Rejuvenation House Parts who are local will take the other back.

• 13 years ago

Punamytsike - that sounds like a good idea, but I just assume buy the new ones and take my chances - not time for painting! ;) Thanks for the positive feedback!

Tontam - Thank you! And yes it's growing on me. I think I can give up on going lighter but still have the option of going darker if I really wanted to (I think I've read going darker is possible with some sort of color additive?)...but I'm sitting with it for now. Painting the cabs and window trim will tell a lot more as well and I'm guessing make me like it even more.

Beaglesdoitbetter - Ah you're sweet. It's on the way to your house now! No I like it well enough, truly.

Odiegirl13 - that is quite the compliment, thank you so much! It cracks me up cause if you saw the rest of my kitchen you would NOT being saying it's one of your favorites - hahaha! Just that one wall looks much better but not the rest! Oh to win the lottery... I think you're right - that once I get the dishwasher door on that will pull it all together (and the fresh/new colors of paint above)!

Sharonite - I've seen those custom switchplates in the past. So unique! I don't think I'd do that just cause I'm going for the more period look and they certainly didn't do that way back when! I think those would be AMAZING in a really fun, modern and/or whimsical kitchen for sure!

Morgne - You too are (everyone is) such a sweetie! I feel so blown away when I read such generous comments about my shambles of a kitchen! I think we have a situation in which the photos are much more impressive than the real life situation! The chipped paint everywhere...the countless mistakes by contractors...the rest of the kitchen being undone...the teeny tiny size of a kitchen on the WEST coast which shouldn't have to be so darned small for a house with a pretty large living room - grrrr! It warms my heart and really surprises me when I read "favorites" by some of you guys. I've never felt capable of making good fashion/design choices (and yet I definitely seem to know what I DON'T want - haha) so I'm so very flattered and appreciative!!

Honorbiltkit - Yes it's growing on me, you're right. Still not positive I don't want to darken it but I think after painting above, I probably won't feel that way anymore (and honestly, like it a lot now as it is). Ah, the faucet! Do you like it? Do you REALLY like it? ;) Feeling like Sally Fields a bit here! I can't believe I made such a wild decision - it was SO expensive - but I haven't regretted it at all. It's a beautifully working, quite functional faucet that does indeed make a statement! Anyway, thanks for liking the backsplash!

• 13 years ago

Onedogedie - Thanks for "getting" what I'm saying! ;) I think I would have liked it a lot more if there was a hint more of tan in the gray too. My upstairs bathroom has original 2x6" tile also (just white) and the grout is dark and a real cross between gray and tan if not more tan. I like that a lot and that bathroom sort of inspired the whole 2x6 subway tile thing in the kitchen. And I will be changing the outlet covers, thanks!

Blondelle - WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME to do those lines for me and posting those pictures!!! I am so happy and grateful that you did that! It's funny how much it makes a difference and I can really get a good idea of what it would look like in those darker colors! What's really interesting to me is that the lower pic looks like the tile looks to me now in person, and the upper picture looks more like how I originally wanted it before I chickened out - haha! Or I would say a color somewhere between your two pics would be best for me (were I brave enough, as I'd hoped to be!) because again, that lower pic looks a whole heck of a lot like it looks to me now! But yes the upper one's a bit too dark. But it gives me that little happy edgy high I seem to crave! I couldn't agree more about the TOO MANY choices we have to make - ugh!! Thank you again!!

Pickle2 - Thank you so much! I'm really glad it looks vintage and homey - just what I was hoping for! I was concerned the stainless counter would make it anything but, but that's why I made some of the other choices to warm things up a bit (or that's what I was hoping to do).

Trailrunner - You are so sweet as always! :)

Oldhousegal - Thank you, thank you! Especially coming from someone I can only assume is an old house lover! ;) You wrote that the choices go well with my home...does that mean the pics of the rest of my house show up? I wondered if others could see them - have no idea! I'm keeping the upper butterfly hinges that dark color. At first it was just cause I didn't want to pay more but in the end I thought it worked to have different colored hardware above since the lower cabs are different from the upper cabs as it is. The hanging pendant light that will go above the sink (the one that's there presently isn't the one that will be there) will have a polished nickel canopy and socket, and a white glass cone shade, but will have a black cloth covered cord which I was hoping will look good with the upper black hardware. I'm intrigued by the idea of having black switch plates so I'll definitely get a sample piece to see how I like it! The other thing is that - I realized - if I get polished nickel switch plates, their center parts will be black since they're push-botton style switches. So that, too, can pick up on the black above! :) The faucet is by Jaclo and it's their "Steam Valve Original" line - 10" wall-mounted bridge faucet. It's solid stainless (as opposed to brass) and you can choose satin or polished and mine's polished which does cost a bit more. You can also choose between levers (white with gray stripe or black with silver or white stripe, I forget which...or just stainless with no stripe) or you can also choose stainless wheel types that are very industrial looking but super cool. You can also get it without the pull-off spout. Here it is on their site:

http://www.jaclo.com/products/detail?pid=796&cid=123#

I also noticed that one of my Jaclo faucet inspiration pictures was recently shown in a Food and Wine magazine article in which Sabjimata'sr kitchen is shown! See the first picture:

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/food-bloggers-best-kitchen-design-ideas

Pharaoh - Love your honesty! Not that others are lying mind you, but I appreciate your honesty very much! I disagree that a tad darker would look worse (I've seen a few pics of others' projects using gorgeous marble with darker grout and it can really work in the right setting) but I agree that white grout would look better than this does. Except for the dirty grout issue of course! I've always liked the look of subway tile standing out and would have just done marble slab if I were truly trying to hide it. But I think white grout would still show off the tile, but just in a much more subtle and yes classier way probably! Not more classic, but classiER. Haha!

Island - thank you for pointing out the whole consolation prize thing - true enough! I was saying to another poster above that what I meant by 1980's was not about tile shape but that back then, pastels were popular in both home decor and clothing and everywhere! That and wooden duckie country kitchen decorations - bluck! So my point was that the noncommittal pale gray grout just reminded me of that whole pastel cutsie-cutsie thing. Or maybe it was late-'90's, I dunno. And yes maybe regional for all i know! I was a teen-ager then so didn't pay attention to where else these shades may or may not have been popular. Thank you for saying the backsplash is an inspiration - you are so kind!

Janet 425 - Thank you! And yes I'll switch the plates out.

Warmfridge - I agree about the switchplates not going regardless of the tile - thanks!

Dee850 - yep - I agree! ;)

Dianalo - Actually the price for the switchplates was pretty reasonable though I don't remember now what I paid (not more than a couple of bucks per item I seem to recall). They'd do well to make them with a tad more cream. I love that they're metal and for push-button switches. You can almost never find them in white unless they're the super thick pottery kind which was used in the '40's. I see what you mean about the white not necessarily helping (like the switchplates) - I hadn't thought of that.

Katsmah - thank you so much! The countertop's getting pretty scratched up but i knew it would and I still like it cause it polishes up very nicely and eventually all kind of blends together. It doesn't look quite as glass-smooth-reflective-pond-like as the first one they sold me (before they needed to replace it) but it gives close enough to the look I was going for. Ouch to the laminate and oak trim!! :-o

Flwrs n co - I'm not unhappy with the grout - just not super duper in love with it (nor do I need to be, honestly)! The tile doesn't look '80's to me - just the grout had that cool pastel look that reminded me of the '80's. Does that explain it better? Definitely not the tile or anything else about the kitchen makes me think of the '80's! :)

Prill - The color on the bottom cabs is Benjamin Moore's Fieldstone Gray. While it's definitely gray, I would say most of the time there's a hint of green although in some day light (can't remember if on overcast or sunny day) it has a hint of robin's egg blue, if that's the right name...or maybe like Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage kinda sorta? But barely. I think it would pair well with many colors, particularly whites, creams, browns, reds, blues and greens (and dark grays/blacks). One of these great forum members suggested it by showing a kitchen photo of the designer Sally Wheat's kitchen (her own kitchen in fact) and I instantly fell in love. I WISH I knew who recommended it so I could thank the person! I've tried looking in my old threads but just can't find it now! Thank you!

Katyde - Thank you! I'm so glad you like it exactly as is!

Kathec - Thank you too! Hopefully you'd like it in person, too! :)

Florantha - I see your point but I really didn't want my kitchen to be so reduced to those main colors of gray, black and white! I totally get it though - and realize it would be hard to do much else when using stainless and marble...and yet with a tan-ish-gray grout and a warm wood floor and the tan veining in the marble (calacatta) and paint choices beyond the lower gray-green color, my hope was to avoid too much of that coldness. I think that's the reason I was slightly disappointed, do you see what I mean? Cause I was initially making a point to stay as warm as I could even though using cool colors (or despite using cool colors). I think that's important to me because of preventing the sterile look as well as to add some personality with color, warmth, softness. But I still think it can be pushed along in the right direction with the right paint colors above and on all the walls and trim, as well as with the changed switch plates - when I get around to that. And of course the right accessories! The floor is seen quite a bit in person, FYI - but I think that too is a good thing for these reasons. In fact one of the reasons I picked the gray color on the lowers is that the inspiration pic that I borrowed it from shows it used with an almost buttery cream (at least that's how the pics come across) and the gray and cream mixed nicely together, unexpectedly. I know that's not a new idea (maybe a year ago or longer that mixing them became popular?) but yes I liked that dichotomy. So I figured the warm floors and cold grays (and tan veining in marble) could all work together. Thanks for the mind over matter suggestion! I like it more than I think you think I like it so it's all good! :)

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to thoughtfully and encouragingly respond and I'm so sorry it took so long to respond in kind! I really appreciate all the positive feedback!

• 13 years ago

Ok I have no idea what made me think those were even thirds...clearly not! Lol! Sorry about that!

• 13 years ago

Theresse - I'm late to the party but I really like the grout as is. The whole kitchen is wonderful! I'm curious about the fixture over the sink. Could you share any info about it? And what does the shade look like? I'm considering the similar "George" at Rejuvenatiion for above our sink.

• 13 years ago

Hi worldmom - thank you! The fixture is from Rejuvenation but I'm sorry that I don't know its name! I only got that fixture temporarily (got it in person since they're local) so my electrician could see what would be used canopy-wise (same canopy size as the one that's coming in the mali that had to be special ordered). The electrician made a hole off-center in the ceiling and it was supposed to be centered and he was moving things a bit so needed a canopy to know what's what. He misunderstood me and installed it so I have to unscrew it and return it soon! I like the George one!

The one I'm getting is the kind that instead of hanging by a rod, is hanging by a black cloth-covered cord. I'm doing a polished nickel canopy and socket and a glass white shade (cone style, kind of wide). The fixture I'm getting is called Willis. The shade I'm getting isn't on their website but is in the store. It looks like the one in the link I'll put here only it doesn't have lines etched in it. Not sure if the link will look (I did the customizing thing in which you play around with the pictures - fun huh!)...

Here is a link that might be useful: The light fixture I have coming in the mail, only my shade won't have lines etched in it

• 13 years ago

Cool - it worked! :)

• 13 years ago

Where any of the tiles reset? Your other thread, that showed the bumped-in part of the wall, with exposed tile edges and what seemed like uneven tile - can you show how that looks now that it is grouted?

• 13 years ago

Hi John - the other thread has an updated pic but no it hasn't been reset yet though he says he'll come do it. It looks horrible still! As for the exposed edges, i'm not sure if he'll replace that or not. When he and the main guy were standing there talking about the options, they asked if I'd like it that way and it was a rushed conversation and I said yes not fully understanding (they made it sound like a good option). I can't imagine for the life of me why I would have said yes to that nor how they could have suggested it! So I wonder what he'd charge to re-do all that (not charging me for the uneven tiles of course).

• 13 years ago

Here John:

• 13 years ago

I love it. In fact, I love the whole kitchen.

• 13 years ago

Yo Theresse!

Wow your back splash and grout are my inspiration! I start demo in a few days. I am sorry that it doesn't meet your brain's preconceived ideas of grout and hope that you learn to love it as much as I do. Sometimes there is love at first sight, sometimes love takes a while. :)

A question about the tiles - calacatta or carrara? I can only find cararra, and this looks more like calacatta. If it is calacatta - where did you get it?

Thanks and congrats on a gorgeous remodel.

• 13 years ago

Thanks for the info about the fixture, theresse! I've been considering the Willis too, so i think you have great taste. :)

• 13 years ago

I would have that part re-done. The rest of the backsplash looks very nice to me. The grout may darken more with use.

Make sure it is well sealed, and re-seal at least the lower parts around the sink every year or two. DIY it, it is easy with a small (artist's) paintbrush or other applicator, don't pay for some sloppy guy to get sealer all over the tile faces. (Unless it is epoxy grout, which I know nothing about.)

I know it has been hard at times, but your vision is turning out wonderfully.

• 12 years ago

I had floor tiles with grey grout and I added bleach to my bucket when I cleaned the floor... It whitened them up.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County