SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khj133

How do vent your cooktop and does it work well?

khj133
13 years ago

Do you use an overhead hood, over the range microwave, or downdraft ventilation?

What hood are you using?

What is the style - standard, chimney, canopy pro style or custom wood with insert?

Wall mount, under cabinet or Island mount?

What type of blower - internal, remote or inline?

How many cfms?

Ducted or Non-ducted?

How do the ducts go to the outside? Length, turns,size, thru attic, down into basement?

Do you find it too loud?

Do you have make-up air?

If a renovation, then how hard was it to install ducts and how much did it cost?

If a new build then did builder charge you more to duct one way or another?

Most importantly, is it effective and work for your needs?

I have been struggling with my kitchen layout because the builder tells me there is only one wall to vent a hood efficiently with 2 turns and a total 10 feet run to the outside wall with an adapter or attachment for a plumbing pipe in the way. Any other wall requires me to have a duct go down into the basement with 2 turns and 40 foot run total. When I called the vent-a-hood, their technician told me that going down to basement would be too long a run and effectively make my expensive vent hood useless.

Somebody just told me that ducts can go between studs on the wall and then thru attic and out thru the roof. My builder and HVAC person did not tell me of that route. I have a bathroom above the kitchen and so the duct could go between the studs of the wall of the bathroom and into attic. I don't know if there are truss issues that make this difficult. But is this a better way to vent the hood? I have 10 feet ceiling in kitchen, 9 feet on second floor and then the attic. Is that too long?

I currently have an over the range microwave which does not do an effective job for my type of cooking. Hence im my new build it is important to have a powerful effective hood. I was thinking of getting the 48" Kobe 1000 cfm chimney style hood as that would require an 8 inch duct and builder says I can't go with a bigger duct size.

I am learning as I go. It would be helpful to read your experience.

Comments (15)