SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shavawn_2007_2007

Do soap dispensers really work? - are they worth it?

shavawn_2007_2007
16 years ago

Do soap dispensers really work well or are do they end up being a drippy, gunky, clogged up, slimmy mess? If you like yours please tell me the brand you like and the brands you have had bad luck with. I don't want to drill a whole in the granite if I'm not really going to use the dispenser. Monday is granite day, I'm so excited. Thank you for your advice.

Comments (46)

• cavu
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I put in a Kohler that was available at Expo. It was a good match with a Blanco faucet that I put in at the same time. I also used the NeverMT and have been very happy with it and the dispenser.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

I never had a soap dispenser before having one installed last summer. I got it same time I bought my sink (both Kohler). So far, it hasn't gotten clogged up or made any messes at all, and I use it several times a day. I'd say it's definitely worth drilling an extra hole for. I do use it with the Never MT. If I didn't have the Never MT, it might be a bit of a hassle and more mess-prone to refill the dispenser when it runs out of soap. I really like not having a bottle of dish soap on the counter or windowsill.

• Related Discussions

Do You Like Your Deck Mounted Soap Dispensers?

Q

Comments (22)
    Enduring, I would think about two. One for lotion, one for soap. But, I forgot, is this your Master bath, or a guest one? Unfortunately, for a guest one, you may have the eternal problem of having to explain which is which, or letting each guest experiment each visit... I actually bought our kitchen sink one from HD. I had gone there intending to buy one to match our Blanco Rados faucet, and the sales guy actually talked me into purchasing the no-name $14 one hanging on a rack. We've had it for 7 years (CANNOT believe our kitchen reno is 7 years old!), only clogged once, and DH took it all apart and cleaned out the gook...took me awhile to stop reefing on that poor ol' spout that was no longer plugged! So, the point of my post is that you don't necessarily need to spend the big bucks to find a dispenser that will work well and look good. (The NN one from HD looked very much like the Blanco one that cost 10X more!) Old pic showing soap dispenser:
    ...See More

Soap Dispensers:What do YOU have?

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks for this thread. I have been looking for soap dispensers this whole week (after deciding on the Brizo Talo faucet) I've almost purchased 2 compatible Brizo dispensers a couple of different times until I came across mostly bad reviews on them. I was going to take my chances since I liked the style but then decided to look at the Elkay of Breeezy's and the Graff that was highly recommended on another thread. Too bad they were out of my price point.... I couldn't bear to spend that much on these accessories! My little update is budget! So, today I found 2 Kraus stainless dispensers on Amazon's warehouse deals (open packaging?) for the price of one. Spoke with Amazon, was assured that I had 30 days to decide if I liked to return and the Kraus warranty so I went for it. I think It resembles the Elkay. Granite, Check. Sink, Check. Faucet, check. Dispensers, check....It feels good to just make a decision so you can move on to the next! Off to the appliance forum!
    ...See More

Soap dispenser or no soap dispenser?

Q

Comments (36)
    Can anyone recommend a dispenser with a LONG spout? The one we have now (Price Pfister) has an utterly useless 2" spout. I have found a 3 7/8" spout, also 3 1/2", but am wondering if there are any that are longer. The new sink is 10" deep. We weren't going to get a new soap dispenser, but after reading this thread, I thought, "I don't want ugly bottles on my new granite!" I could do a rack mounted on the sink cabinet door, but I think the dispenser is neater :-) It just needs a long spout so it can actually squirt dish soap into the pots, instead of dribbling down the side of the sink. Will definitely get a NeverMT--so glad that I heard of it here!
    ...See More

Can't get soap dispenser to work. Tips???

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi! I know this is an old thread, but it still popped up when I was searching for help with my soap dispenser not staying primed. To fix it, I tried disconnecting and re-connecting all the connections. I primed it and waited 10 minutes... the prime was still lost. I disconnected the long tube from the pump. There is an o-ring on my model to make an air tight connection from the flexible tube to the pump. At this spot, the flexible tube had conformed to the o-ring allowing an air leak. I snipped off the small piece of tubing and re-attached it to the pump. This made the tube fit tighter on the pump/o-ring. This appears to have fixed my problem. I hope this helps! Blessings, Mrs. M
    ...See More
  • plllog
    16 years ago

I have one because there was an extra hole when I got my new faucet. I use it, mostly for my hands, but wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Mine is easy to fill (no mess). It doesn't work for the cutting board, or anything else big, and I prefer the control I get from the bottle. It's a little bit more convenient than the bottle for handwashing.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

I decided not to put one in and I am making the same decision now that I am going to be doing another kit. My only reason was it would be one less thing to clean around.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I've had three different ones - a $15 one from HD, a $80 one from Kohler and one from Delta that came in a package with a faucet.

They've all worked equally well. I don't have any problems filling them - without NeverMT - they don't clog and they're not yucky or gunked up. I think the main reason I like having one is that it's stationary, simple and compact. Serves the purpose nicely in a simple package that's easy to clean and won't tip over.

I've always used hand soap in mine. Maybe that's what filling and clogging have never been an issue.

• many_hats
    16 years ago

I echo what gibby3000 said. I've had a cheap HD one that lasted for years and years using hand soap with the little bottle that had to be refilled. With our remodel we installed a Kohler 1894 C-BN dispenser which coordinates well with our Kohler Vinnata faucet and we now have a Never-MT and it, too, works wonderfully. I much prefer a built-in soap dispenser to having a dispenser on the counter; the plastic ones look kinda cheap and I'm sure I would break a glass one on my granite countertop if (when!) it tips over.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Mine's a Grohe, and I have no problems with it either. I would definitely do it again.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

I have a Moen and use it with a Never MT. This is our first dispenser, and I'd do it again. I like it alot and so far, it's never clogged or dripped. As for cleaning around, no problem...I found that even with my "mobile" hand soap container from the store, I still have to pick it up and clean under it because that one seems to get gunk under it onto the granite more than anything else around the faucet area.

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

I have Grohe and had quite a lot of problems with mine. Had to have them changed out, and now seem to working well. We have them in the bathrooms and one in the kitchen for handsoap

The one that I totally LOVE is Brizo Venuto soap dispenser (for dishwashing soap). That is our favourite. Works amazingly well, never clogs or locks up (like Grohe did).

• susanilz5
    16 years ago

My old one was just a cheap one, and it lasted for years and never got gunked up. When I redid the kitchen sink & faucet I bought a new one to match the faucet, a Justyna Mico. It works great, but so did the cheap one I had before. I just wanted the same finish as the faucet. It's very handy.

• mostlylurking
    16 years ago

I actualy have two $25 dispensers from HD, one for hand soap and one for lotion. They are still new to me, but I love not having soap spilled all over the counter or having to find where my kids put the lotion.

• shequit
    16 years ago

I've had my Grohe and Never MT since last Jan. I have never had to re-fill the soap and cleaning the dispenser is a breeze. If is seems slow, a toothpick into the spiggot opening and wipe with a microfiber - easy as pie. I love it.

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

I have one that was here when we bought the house. It is definitely not an expensive one and it has worked just great for the almost 8 years that we are here. We will begin our addition/remodel soon and I am going to get another one, just not sure which one because I haven't picked out a faucet yet.

• janwad
    16 years ago

I had all sorts of trouble with ours as well as the neverMT.

I think it's because our granite and plywood are too thick and the stems aren't long enough on the soap dispensers. I couldn't get it to install securely. I suppose someone could go under and drill the plywood out around the opening.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Yes, Janwad, that's what should have been done...faucet and other hole-utilized accessories need to be attached to stone ONLY. Holes need to be cleared of plywood underneath stone and the plumber should have done that at initial installation or (better yet) prior to permanent placement of stone countertop). Faucets/etc. will begin to wobble in time otherwise.

• Zoe52
    16 years ago

I had two of them installed when we remodeled our house about 12 years ago. I think I ended up using them a few months before I decided it was too much extra work to fill them. They are also on the side (we have double sinks) where I stack my pots and pans to dry so sometimes it is inconvenient to even reach them. Needless to say, I will not be adding any to my next home. If you don't mind refilling them, they will be fine. I just didn't want to bother.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

I love them! When I first moved into my old house, I replaced the side spray with a soap dispenser. When I remodeled, I got a pullout faucet and it came with a

Neither one got gunky, and they are small and streamlined, reducing that cluttered look.

In my new house, the faucet sucks, so for now I have the side spray. I'm doing a mini remodel, and definitely plan to have the dispenser. I keep dish soap in mine, but use it to wash my hands too. (I don't understand needing hand soap and dish soap...)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Goes to how often you use them: if they sit for several days, soap in the line drys out and they clog. They also tend to work out better if they don't receive much afternoon sun.

• cocontom
    16 years ago

We decided when we put in the counter that we didn't really need the soap dispenser. It took two weeks for us to buy a new one! We really didn't realize how often we use it or just how much we would miss it.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I've also had the cheap HD one and the one that came with the Delta. No problems (the HD one was replacing an old Franke one that WAS all gunked up, but probably from neglect).

OK, one problem with the Delta: after my kitchen remodel I had it reinstalled along with the faucet (hadn't picked out a new one yet) and a few months later when refilling it I filled and filled and filled and...looked under the cabinet and the bottle had sheared off. Ooops. That was messy. With normal use, I don't think the bottle is likely to break like that!

I think they're nice to have. If you don't like it for dish soap, you can use hand soap. They actually are a little better suited for hands than dishwashing. But if you don't have one and have never had one, I don't think you'll regret not having it.

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

We have one in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Truth be told I would miss the one in the bathroom more than the one in the kitchen. Everything goes into the dishwasher except the kids and dogs, and if there was a way to put them in we would be doing that too. We only use dish soap to soak pans or to clean countertop and sink. With the never empty attachment a large bottle of Dawn lasts almost a year. We have an American standard dispenser that we paid $50 for. The style matched our Kohler faucet and it has a very long spout. I don't think it is made any better than a $15 dollar one. It has never clogged or leaked in the 3 yrs we have had it. It is no more difficult to clean than the faucet. Both of them are polished chrome and a shot of Windex makes them shine like new. The cap on the bottle of Dawn was far worse to clean. We got the soap dispenser because we have a small kitchen and wanted less clutter on the counter. Though we don't use dish soap as much as someone who hand washes dishes, that bottle of Dawn was always on the counter and never under the sink.

• livvysmom
    16 years ago

Had one on my old Kohler sink and got gross and gunky.

In my new kitchen I am getting this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14596038

• westsider40
    16 years ago

We absolutely love our soap dispensers. One kitchen and in one bath.
    We broke two, many years ago, until we learned a tip. When you fill them with soap, also add water to dilute them. Since we diluted, it never broke and has been functioning perfectly for many years.
    This is not rocket science, but it seems so easy to swivel the dispenser, squirt some soap on the sponge which rests next to the squirter, and voila, wash away! (I sound like my mother with these inane tips) Oh well, it does work.

I wouldn't be without my squirter!!!

• snookums
    16 years ago

I love mine.

• sail_away
    16 years ago

We've had a soap dispenser (American Standard) in our kitchen since we built our house about 15 years ago. The only problem I've had with it was that, when using Dawn dishwasher soap (blue) in the dispenser, it actually ate through the metal spout and when we would use it soap would come out the hole as well as the end of the spout. We had to replace that part. Since then, we've never put Dawn dish soap in our soap dispenser, and it has worked perfectly. We now use a much milder dish soap, which we use for both dishes and washing our hands. The only problem has been when I get sloppy refilling the soap dispenser. That problem has been eliminated since I came here and learned about the Never-MT. I'm so happy, knowing how much easier it will be to replace the soap when it does eventually run out.

I'm also determined to add soap dispensers to my bathrooms. My daughter makes a mess of every soap container we've ever tried for the bathroom. Based on our experience in the kitchen, I'm convinced the built-in soap dispenser (with the Never-MT) is the answer.

• merry_me
    16 years ago

This is a cool idea. I don't have one, so can't say how well it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replace the Cap with a Soap Dispenser, Soap Dish or a 3 oz. Dixie Cup Dispenser.

• janwad
    16 years ago

Whoa, each of those accessories includes an air gap. Great find.

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, my husband has thrown a complete fit about me putting the soap dispenser/never mt in. He is in the business and says that the open container will harbor high amounts of bacteria/microbes (even in antimicrobial soap) defeating the purpose of washing your hands with it. He would only agree to one commercial soap dispenser to put in the countertop because it is a complete closed system, but it is ugly.

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

Meagan
    I don't understand the logic of bacteria harboring in soap dispensers. All soap dispensers and even soap out of the bottle will be replaced with air once you start using the liquid. What do the commercial soap dispensers do different? I have been washing my hands for the past 47yrs with bar soap and liquid soap and I have never had a any kind of major illness caused by contaminated soap. I stoped using bar soap since they came out with liquid body wash. Sharing a bar of soap is gross IMO. I hope this does not come off as sounding rude. I am really interested in knowing what causes the bateria to harbor.

• sail_away
    16 years ago

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't---the Never-MT has a lid which replaces the original lid on your large size soap container, with room to thread the tubing into the container. I see no difference between that and a container of liquid soap sitting on your counter. Of course, your DH may be able to enlighten me on why the Never-MT would be of concern to him.

The install was very easy. When we replace the countertops in the bathrooms, I'm definitely adding soap dispensers in them, as well. I originally wanted to have vessel sinks; but I would rather have regular or undermount sinks with the soap dispensers.

• merry_me
    16 years ago

the open container will harbor high amounts of bacteria/microbes (even in antimicrobial soap)

WRONG. Time to retake Biol 101.

• divamum
    16 years ago

NEver had one before, and I love it. Goes on my list of "How did I ever live without it?" improvements! Less stuff on the counter, no gunky bottle, and it more accurately measure the soap onto the sponge. A++ as far as i'm concerned. It's just a $20 one from Lowes, but the brushed nickel matched the faucet pretty much perfectly.

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

Actually, I have a Ph.D. in Toxicology... I don't need to retake Biol 101.
    Yes, soap containers that are not complete sealed systems will become contaminated. It is a dirty secret that is well known in the industry.
    Instead of typing it all out (just don't feel like it), I googled this short article which helps explains my point. The Never-MT is not a sealed system. I am the farthest thing from a germaphobe, but I thought others may want to know the issues.

Bulk Soap Contamination In Open Containers?
    Despite the illusion of cleanliness, recent studies indicate that people could be putting their health at risk when using soap from open, refillable soap dispensers. Conducted by the University of Arizona under the direction of Dr. Charles P. Gerba, a professor of environmental microbiology in the departments of Microbiology and Immunology and Soil, Water, and Environmental Science at the University of Arizona in Tucson, the studies showed that approximately 23% to 25% of samples taken from open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers were contaminated with unsafe levels of bacteria. Coliforms, illness causing fecal-based organisms, were found in 16% to 22% of the samples.

"Every time you use soap from an open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispenser, you could be putting hundreds of millions of fecal bacteria on your hands, which is actually more than is in the toilet after you flush it," says Gerba. In contrast, no bacterial contamination was found in soap dispensed from sealed systems. Gerba suspects the number of contaminants were higher due to the warmer environment in showers and sinks located in locker room areas.

The amount of contamination was higher in samples collected from health and fitness facilities. There, nearly 33 of random samples taken from open refillable soap dispensers were contaminated with unsafe levels of bacteria. In those tests, coliforms were found in 50% to 55% of the contaminated samples.

The findings from these studies were presented at a recent meeting of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) in Toronto, Canada and at the National Environmental Health Association's Annual Conference. The studies, which were funded in part by GOJO Industries of Akron, OH (inventors of PURELL Instant Hand Sanitizer) concluded that the open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers are a breeding ground for germs and can result in a public health risk. Open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers utilize a refillable container from which product is dispensed. It is refilled by pouring soap into the container on an "as needed" basis.

"When we first learned about contamination issues regarding open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers, we wanted to collect data to determine if it was true," said Joe Kanfer, chairman and chief executive officer of GOJO Industries. "The study by Dr. Gerba confirmed that contamination is present."

According to Gerba, the bacteria that were found in overwhelming numbers were opportunistic pathogens. Opportunistic pathogens are capable of causing serious infections in young people and people who are immunocompromised. He explained that these infections can range from eye, skin, or respiratory infections.

Although young people and those who are immunocompromised are at greater risk of infection, Gerba says everyone is susceptible, especially people with abrasions or open cuts or wounds. He adds that by washing hands with contaminated soap, there is also the potential of spreading the germs each time another surface is touched.

While opportunistic pathogens predominated, Gerba did not rule out the existence of frank pathogens growing in these open refillable soap dispensers. Frank pathogens are unmistakable viruses, microorganisms, or other substances that can cause disease in everyone, including healthy individuals.

Gerba explained this study focused on the amount of bacteria in the systems. He noted that opportunistic pathogens that were predominate included Klebsiella, Enterobacter, and Serratia.

"We don't know all the different types of bacteria that can grow in the dispenser," said Gerba. "There could be frank pathogens that make everybody ill. So, my thinking is why take a chance?" He urged further testing to determine and identify disease-causing frank pathogens that might be housed at lower levels in these open refillable dispensers.

Meanwhile, does the type of open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers make a difference with regard to contamination? Gerba said any open refillable dispenser, whether plastic or stainless steel, could be subject to contamination. He cautioned that stainless steel dispensers may lend a false sense of security.

"Stainless steel will not control microbial growth," responded Gerba. "They are very easy surfaces to clean. But, they won't control microbial growth."

Although manufacturers of these systems offer cleaning instructions and some offer products which claim to clean and sanitize these types of systems, Gerba said he is unaware of any established protocol for cleaning and effective sanitizing of open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers. With regard to cleaning solutions that also claim to sanitize, Gerba suggested checking how well they work and how often system should be cleaned in order to maintain it in a sanitary manner.

According to Gerba, the only safe solution to the risks of using open refillable bulk soap reservoir dispensers is to use sealed systems. Sealed systems utilize refill cartridges that are sealed during the manufacturing process. These high capacity refills are used once and then discarded when empty. The studies showed that no pathogens were found in soap collected from sealed systems.

Gerba explained, "A sealed system is sealed at the factory during manufacturing where the bulk system is actually refilled at the facility. It (bulk soap) may actually be diluted with water and may be contaminated from the water and people putting their fingers in the soap. That doesn't happen with a sealed system."

After analyzing the data from the study, Gerba concluded "I think the industry that supplies bulk soap should promote the use of sealed containers and not reusable fillable containers."

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

Another article I stole:
    Bulk Soap Contamination Study Summary
    Background
    Microbiological contamination of soap has been shown to result in infections and nosocomial outbreaks.(1-4) Several studies conducted during the last 25 years have demonstrated that soaps can become contaminated with microorganisms. This contamination can occur after the product reaches the user (extrinsic contamination).(2;3;6) This includes both germicidal (antimicrobial) and bland hand washing products. Bacterial contamination has been observed in nonmedicated (3) and antimicrobial products including those whose active ingredients were PCMX(2), Benzalkonium chloride(6;7), Triclosan(1), and CHG.(4-6;8-11) All types of soap regardless of the active ingredient or preservative system used are susceptible to contamination when exposed to adverse circumstances. Soap dispensers with sealed refills were developed in response to this contamination challenge. By contrast, open refillable soap dispensers continue to present significant risk of contamination during use. As a result of this evidence, the CDC recommends against using soap dispensers that allow for users to add soap to a partially empty dispenser since it can lead to bacterial contamination.(12)
    A recent study conducted at the University of Arizona by a prominent microbiologist, Dr. Charles P. Gerba, revealed that liquid hand soap collected from open refillable (commonly known as bulk) dispensing systems are a public health risk. He found unsafe levels of bacterial contamination in open refillable dispensing systems, while no bacterial contamination was found in soap from sealed (a.k.a. bagged or cartridge) style dispensers. Dr. Gerba intends to submit his research findings for publication.

Study Overview
    Objective
    The objective of the study was to determine whether soap from open refillable dispensers in public restrooms contain significant levels of bacterial contamination, and to identify contaminating organisms. Samples of liquid soap were collected from open refillable dispensers and showers from across the country and their bacterial content analyzed.

Results
    Unsafe levels of bacterial contamination were found in 25% of the samples from open refillable dispensers. The average contamination level was over 1,000,000 bacteria per mL of soap. This level of contamination is 1000 times greater than recommended by cosmetic industry standards.(13) Coliforms, which are organisms associated with fecal contamination and which are known to cause illness, were present in 16% of the samples. Klebsiella was the most frequently isolated bacteria, followed by Enterobacter and Serratia. In contrast, no bacterial contamination was found in soap dispensed from sealed systems.

Conclusion
    Since these samples represent a diverse cross section of geographical locales and individual sites, it is concluded that soap from open refillable dispensers commonly found in the US are routinely contaminated with bacteria. The type and level of bacteria found in these systems represent a potential health risk to users. All unsealed, open, bulk dispensers should be eliminated and users should switch to the safer alternative, sealed soap dispensing systems, to avoid unnecessary public health risk.

1. McNaughton M, Mazinke N, Thomas E. Newborn conjunctivitis associated with triclosan 0.5% antiseptic intrinsically contaminated with Serratia marcescens. Can J Infect Control 1995; 10(1):7-8.
    2. Archibald LK, Corl A, Shah B et al. Serratia marcescens outbreak associated with extrinsic contamination of 1% chlorxylenol soap. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997; 18(10):704-709.
    3. Sartor C, Jacomo V, Duvivier C, Tissot-Dupont H, Sambuc R, Drancourt M. Nosocomial Serratia marcescens infections associated with extrinsic contamination of a liquid nonmedicated soap. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21(3):196-199.
    4. Vigeant P, Loo VG, Bertrand C et al. An outbreak of Serratia marcescens infections related to contaminated chlorhexidine. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1998; 19(10):791-794.
    5. Brooks SE, Walczak MA, Malcolm S, Hameed R. Intrinsic Klebsiella pneumoniae contamination of liquid germicidal hand soap containing chlorhexidine. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004;25(10):883-885.
    6. Oie S, Kamiya A. Microbial contamination of antiseptics and disinfectants. Am J Infect Control 1996; 24(5):389-395.
    7. Oie S, Kamiya A. Microbial contamination of benzalkonium chloride products. Am J Health Syst Pharm 1998; 55(23):2534, 2537.
    8. McAllister TA, Lucas CE, Mocan H et al. Serratia marcescens outbreak in a pediatric oncology unit traced to contaminated chlorhexidine. Scott Med J 1989; 34(5):525-528.
    9. Sobel JD, Hashman N, reinherz G, Merzbach D. Noscomial Pseudomonas cepacia infection associated with chlorhexidine contamination. Am J Med 1982; 73(2):183-186.
    10. Kahan A, Philippon A, Paul G et al. Nosocomial infections by chlorhexidine solution contaminated with Pseudomonas picketti (Biovar VA-I). J Infect 1983; 7(3):256-263.
    11. Brooks SE, Walczak MA, Hameed R, Coonan P. Chlorhexidine resistance in antibiotic-resistant bacteria isolated from the surfaces of dispensers of soap containing chlorhexidine. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23(11):692-695.
    12. Boyce JM, Pittet D. Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings. Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America/Association for Professionals in Infection Control/Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep 2002; 51(RR-16:1-45, quiz.
    13. Technical Guidelines. Microbial Limits for Cosmetics and Toiletries. 2001. The Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association.

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Just love my Kohler soap dispenser with my Kohler faucet and sidespray...very efficient and clean.

• dlg421
    16 years ago

"Despite the illusion of cleanliness, recent studies indicate that people could be putting their health at risk when using soap from open, refillable soap dispensers."

"Gerba suspects the number of contaminants were higher due to the warmer environment in showers and sinks located in locker room areas."

"The amount of contamination was higher in samples collected from health and fitness facilities."

"Gerba said any open refillable dispenser, whether plastic or stainless steel, could be subject to contamination."

"All types of soap regardless of the active ingredient or preservative system used are susceptible to contamination when exposed to adverse circumstances."

This research seems to deal with soap dispensers in public places, under "adverse circumstances" etc. I would like to see results taken from private homes. Also there are a lot of "could be" statements in the entire article (I could be the winner of the lottery, but I am not holding my breath).

The contaminants need to be introduced by someone. They do not grow spontaneously. If you have feces on your hands when you fill your dispenser, your may contaminate your soap and there could be a risk. If your hands are clean, the risk is minimal. Also there is less risk with liquid soap than with bar soap, which many of us used for years with no problems.

• jt562
    16 years ago

Wow Meagan, that is something I had not even thought of. I can see how someone handling a soap dispenser that is just re-filled over & over again could harbor bacteria...not sure why I didn't think of it before. I do wash mine off, but it may be time to give them a good soak in some scalding hot water! (toddlers at home here!) They are the "open refillable dispensers" that sit on the counter top.

I did just order the "Never MT" (not here as of yet & I have not used my soap dispenser installed in my kitchen counter~ mainly because my kitchen soap has those "beads" in it & I was waiting until I used it up~afraid of clogs) ANYWAY, the way I understood it, the Never MT is NOT refillable. That was one of the reasons I bought it. Once the bottle of soap (whatever size it may be) is used up, you hook up a brand new bottle. Am I missing something here? I read here on GW & on the manufactures site that it includes a one way valve & various sized caps to fit various sized bottles.

I would think having the soap container not being handled would pretty much eliminate the chance of contamination. Of course, I suppose there is always a chance of SOME freak thing happening...but that could happen just about any product we touch...am I missing something??

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

Think about how you get your soap from the soap dispenser on your countertop. Imagine using one hand and dispensing the soap in it. Does your hand/fingers touch the spout where the soap comes out. Probably so. You are contaminating the dispenser. Bacteria are able to remain in the spout and contaminate the entire tubing down to the bottle it is in. And most of you are using gallon jugs that last a year. More than enough time for it to become colonate. That is because these countertop dispensers and never mt combos are not sealed systems (i.e. bagged or cartridge).

You are fooling yourself you think the average residential household is not laden with bacteria and fecal contamination. Especially if you have young kids.

Again, I am not a germaphobe like my husband. I just thought some of you would like to know the facts.

• merry_me
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information Meagan, this is turning into a very enlightening read. I rescind my knee-jerk recommendation of remedial biology courses.

I'll preface this for any non-squeamish readers who are still around by mentioning out that:

1) bacteria are everywhere, E. coli included. A typical human contains more bacterial cells than human cells. Yup, we are covered with bacteria, and are still healthy.

2) most bacteria are harmless, or beneficial (we need E. coli in our guts).

3) most people have good immune defenses that take care of problem bacteria, exceptions are the very young, very old, or immunocompromised. Hospitals need special precautions.

4) There are a few VERY bad bacteria, as examples a particular strain of E. coli O157:H7 (the BAD E. coli) and MRSA, PRSP etc.

------

Given that bacteria could get into a soap reservoir, and even multiply (growing on what? and how do they survive and reproduce at that osmotic pressure? amazing prokaryotes!), is a container of bacterially contaminated dishwashing soap under the sink at home going to cause any health problems?

What is the resultant dosage level, and depending on the bacterium, is this enough to cause disease? (BAD E. coli may be an exception here, but if you have enough hanging around in the kitchen to get sucked back down into the soap you are probably already hospitalized).

The few studies I have seen show that even washing with intentionally contaminated bar or liquid soap (with marker bacteria) after rinsing did not result in bacterial contamination of people's hands.

Note that Dr. Gerba's research as cited here was funded by GOJO soap manufacturers, and the report conclusions have not been peer reviewed. His results may be fine, this is just something to note.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

I STILL LOVE my dispensers, don't touch the spout b/c I press down on the bulbous thingy with one hand and my other hand is under the spout, AND, for the most part, my hands are not covered in fecal matter!!!!!!! HAAAA! We do stay healthy, and other than showering, I wouldn't put any money on a bet that my 17 yr old washes her hands often. Perhaps we're healthy b/c I dilute the soap with ordinary Chicago tap water rather than distilled! Who cares? Get the dispensers! You'll love them.

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

This study sounds like the one that DuPont did to discredit granite.

Money probably contains more bacteria than anything else but, I bet the GoJo soap manufactures and germaphobes aren't afraid of handling that. I work with a complete germaphobe and the funny thing is that she is the one that is always sick.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Yessss,Iamnodiy!!! Do these guys boil water for hand washing? Lotta words. Heavens, it's soap and water! Lighten up!!!!!

• yahooer
    16 years ago

In case you're still wondering, soap dispensers are one of the little pleasures in life. Mine is Kohler just like the sink and faucet. I would never have thought of it, but househunting, we had rental that had one and I was hooked. No more yucky bottles making yucky rings.

Soap dispenser is easy to fill and even easier to overfill but cleaning is no big deal and mine has never gotten clogged.

I can't imaging why they don't make reservoir the same size as small bottle of dish detergent. Seems like a no brainer. I believe if the people who design things actually used them, we'd all be a lot better off.

• ToxDocAR
    16 years ago

Merry me- I completely agree with your post. That is why I would probably have a Never MT etc. in my new kitchen. But, unfortunately my husband is a complete germaphobe. I actually don't mind bacteria at all. I know they are everywhere and I don't care. As long as you are a healthy, not immunocompromised etc. then you don't have much to worry about. Maybe with the exception of some food borne illnesses and MRSA. I won't even get into what our hospitals have caused by lack of response to MSRA and other antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Anyways, I thought that I would just put out one aspect of these type of soap dispensers for those who weren't aware.

• kaseki
    16 years ago

One possible correlation is that the public facilities that were tested have their locker rooms and rest rooms cleaned by workers who very likely did not take Biology 1.01, and who have to also clean the toilets. These workers would also be unlikely to be supplied with suitable germicidal agents for hand cleaning before refilling.

Sealed systems that are contaminated at the spout should also be subject to compromise. If this is not seen in practice then the contamination problem would seem to be associated with the refiller more than the public touching the spout.

kas