SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grumpydave

Backsplash help, where should it stop?

grumpydave
12 years ago

This isn't about color or material. This is about how far I should carry my backsplash where there are no uppers.

I have a U shaped kitchen. On the left side the backsplash wraps around and dead-ends into the oven cabinet, so no problems there. On the right side there are no upper cabinets, only a window. To the right of the cabinets is a glass door and I'm kinda standing in the eat-in area for the photos. I'm not usually fond of backsplashes that extend where there are no upper cabinets. However, the wall in question is the wet wall so there needs to be some kind of backsplash there.

To complicate matters just a little notice the lack of trim around the window and the rounded drywall corners which is the style here. I assume that would make a clean transition from a tile backsplash to the window difficult to achieve.

So here's my options... (these are "before" photos BTW)

1) What I have today. Get a 4" backsplash that matches the counter and paint the rest.

{{!gwi}}

2) Get a 4" backsplash that matches the counter and add a tile backsplash only to the back and left walls. The 4" backsplash will take care of the sink wall.

{{!gwi}}

3) Have the new backsplash go down to the counter, but only the bottom row of tile extends along the right wall like the integrated backsplash would.

{{!gwi}}

4) Have the new backsplash go down to the counter and have it wrap around the U.

{{!gwi}}

5) Extend the new backsplash up the walls flanking the window. The tops of the soffit, window, and door are nearly identical so I could carry that line across.

{{!gwi}}

Opinions? What would YOU do? Would the full backsplash look okay if it stopped in the corner? I'd still need the partial backsplash across the right wall.

Comments (23)