SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Carpenter drilled the wrong hole in 3 doors

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Ugh! The carpenter was installing the pulls and he drilled the wrong holes in three of the upper cabinets. Two were the glass ones and one was the solid maple. At first, the head guy said they would replace them. Then after a little discussion while I was out of the room, he said, they would try to fix them and if they weren't to our satisfaction he would replace them.

The pulls the carpenter installed were larger than the ones that were supposed to go there. He was there the day before when we were selecting the sizes and I wrote everything down for him. He doesn't read English that well but I thought that the sizes and the text and the actual run through would be enough. The hole is just about where the correct pull overhang would end. This carpenter has made a few other mistakes but none as big as this one. Others include locking a lock for which they didn't have the key (even though there was a note right by the lock saying not to lock it) so I had to drive all the way there to let them in and 3 guys lost about 30 min of time. He also injured himself earlier in the week, for which I felt bad and maybe he was distracted and that's why he wasn't careful on checking the measurement of each pull. He's very nice but at the same time, we invested a lot of money for a brand new kitchen and don't really want repaired doors. Are we wrong for wanting replacements? Maybe the cabinet person would do it at cost vs. with the mark up. I certainly wouldn't want them to create a new "imitation" door. My cabinets are warrantied by Rutt. I don't even really want to have to look at them again and then be the bad guy by telling them we want new ones. Should I ask flat out for them to be replaced without attempting the repair? Just wondering what is the protocol.

Also, I've articulated a few things I was concerned about to the head guy. I've asked that whomever installs my Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawer read the instructions because I've read that when there is trouble installing, it is usually because the directions aren't followed. Well, if the carpenter/installer guy doesn't really read English, how is he reading the instruction manual? The dishwasher drawer is in (with the exception of the plumbing hook up) but I'm worried something will come up down the road. We once used a non-plumber to install a toilet and it had a subtle leak because while the toilet was over the pipe, it needed one more layer of wax. It took months for the leak to show through the ceiling of the floor below. The head guy will be spending more time at the place next week because they're installing the hood and connecting the appliances. Is that enough?

Thank in advance for the advice

This post was edited by CT_Newbie on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 23:56

Comments (18)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!