SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missz_gw

Starting my kitchen reno and would love layout help!

missZ
11 years ago

Hello all,

We are in the planning stages of our kitchen reno. I've spent lots of time browsing this site and would love to have your opinions on our kitchen! We have a tricky space and I'm feeling a little bit lost on layout.

We're in a city apartment - about 1300 sq.ft, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, probably built around 1910. The kitchen has never really been properly renovated. About 7 years ago, an unfinished extension off the kitchen was insulated and finished, but the kitchen was never renovated. So we've been left with the footprint of the old kitchen, plus an extension tacked on - but not yet used. We'll be demolishing an old walk-in pantry to make one big space (shown in the layout below).

We know pretty clearly the style of kitchen we'd like - classic but with personality. I'd say the rest of our house is sort of "vintage bohemian" - colourful vintage furniture, mostly white or dark grey walls, artwork. For now no kids but we'd like to start a family in the next year or so, hence us wanting to get this done!

I feel pretty confident about our ability to style the space, but less confident about layout. It's a narrow kitchen with tons of design challenges - low windows that open in, and radiators! We entertain a lot so we'd love to have a place for people to sit while we're cooking, and best case scenario, we'd have a desk (as our current office will be converted to a kids room in the near future!). The kitchen is at the back of the house, leading to the backyard. It's separated from the dining room by the bathroom. We have a great, kid friendly, big dining table that is in constant use in the other room.

So here's what we've got - I know there are problems with it, but I'm honestly a bit stuck. Any sugestions??

Comments (21)