SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarafina2008

Feeling sick - not sure about tile - PIC

sarafina2008
15 years ago

The tiler started today and I'm just realizing my white glass tile looks grey to me. I feel sick! I'm including a pic - please be honest and tell me what you think. I really wanted a white tile, but it's not looking white to me. Is it because the grout isn't in yet? That's pure white, by the way. Please help!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1981410}}

Comments (52)

• redroze
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sarafina...just breathe. The tile looks great. But it's grey, not white. I was looking at glass tile for awhile, and tried to find something super white. But I found all glass tiles have either a blue, green or grey undertone. I searched far and wide for glass tiles that were white-white and with no luck. The closest was cat_mom's...but hers has a grey tinge as well. Run a search for her kitchen, her tiles are amazing.

I think it looks beautiful and will make your kitchen look "signature". Maybe you just have to change your view towards it.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Here's Cat_mom's photo...Cat_mom if you read this, I hope you don't mind me linking to your post!

Cat_mom's finished kitchen

And here's your tile...see how they both look greyish? I know that's not what you want to hear. I personally think it's a nice tie-in between the white cabinets and black granite. I remember when I was searching for glass tile, Catmom said that in some lights it looks more white, and other times of day it looks more grey. Does that make you feel better??

{{gwi:1981410}}

• Related Discussions

old wood parquet tiles loose - worried sick about asbestos!

Q

Comments (3)
    It's not radiation......it's a product that can only be harmful if disturbed/sanded/something that would break it up and release tiny particles in the air. You could probably lick the glue and you'd be fine. Calm down and forgetaboutit as they say in Boston.
    ...See More

Feeling sick about new floor transition

Q

Comments (22)
    I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. I cringe when I see that transition. I also had flooring installed to match existing hardwood, both of which come off a higher kitchen floor. When they installed my transition thresholds, they were 1 1/4 high with no slope! When I said that was unacceptable, he said that looked the best with the "massive height difference" and ugly tile edge. No way can that be code. Meanwhile there is a perfectly acceptable reducing threshold right across from his installed by somebody else. Thank goodness you have someone who will work with you for such a big job. I just got sick of talking about it. I was able to find a 3/4 reducer, cut it to fit with a small lip over the tile. If the edge is not perfect I'll run some grout. The poly is drying on it to match floor. Installing them tomorrow.
    ...See More

Pulled the trigger - cabinets ordered - now I feel sick

Q

Comments (12)
    Oh, I know the feeling. We're also doubling our house size by converting our 2 family back into a single family. Ordering the cabinets was stomach wrenching because it was such a commitment for me. I still keep second guessing myself. Today the contractor and I went over the additional 26 line items that were added to the original contract - big things like replace all knob and tube wiring in the 1825 house, upgrade to 400A service, change the garage fascade, architect designed bathroom with additional 16" not available so had to reroute a lot of existing plumbing that wasn't going to be changed... I think you're getting away with a steal only being 10% over for a MAJOR renovation. I haven't received my final number yet from my contractor but he's a great price and my estimates have been high. With a major home renovation there are so many more decisions. I have 2 gutted baths plus a new one - tile, sinks, faucets, lighting, color... Plus all the paint colors and lighting choices. Then there's doors, hardware, type of gutters, clappard... It seems to never end. Some times I feel overwhelmed too. Just hang in there. Here is a link that might be useful: here's my blog on our home renovation
    ...See More

PART 2 Sick, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!

Q

Comments (7)
    Tinker, I remember those posts you made. I'm so glad that everything is working out for you! I totally understand the whole second guessing thing. Right now I have my "kitchen in a bag" I bring with me to show everyone. In the bag is a sample of my granite, handles, flooring and cabinet paint. My husband thinks I'm crazy. (in a good way!). I look forward to seeing photos of your new kitchen. Barb
    ...See More
  • kelleg69
    15 years ago

I also think it looks gray. I don't think it looks bad, though. But, you should like the tile--you should want gray in order to keep it. I think it goes very well with your cabinets and counters, but what are the other accent colors?

Bottom line, to me, is that you need to love this. You shouldn't just settle for gray when you wanted white unless you say to yourself, "I kind of like the gray idea."

It would be different if the tile looked white and you were just getting used to it. I am considering yellow tile and I can just see when it goes up, I will freak. This tile is a different color than you wanted, so it won't just take "getting used to it," it will take deciding that you like gray.

Hope I am not being harsh. I don't mean to be. I think it looks good--I just want you to like it for what it is and not to settle.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I like it... helps it look more like a kitchen and less like a restroom or hospital... it is not "white", but I think it looks nice.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

It does look gray. But what a gorgeous gray! Actually, I like it better than if it were "too" white. I think a pure white would be too much with your cabinets, and this gives you some transition to the countertop. It's just soft and lovely.

(I do love glass subway tile. :-))

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Glass will have an undertone of some other color as another poster stated. I'm sorry that you're unhappy that it looks ever so slightly gray. Do you have or plan under the cabinet lighting? What color was the wall behind it? For what it's worth... I think it looks lovely.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Yep, it looks like a beautiful shade of gray to tie in those lovely cabinets and eye catching countertops. Not what you expected but it sure is great looking and remember you are focusing only on that right now. I'm sure once you get your appliances and accessories it will begin to be the glass subway tile you planned for your kitchen. It's not my kitchen but I like it!

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if it will look whiter once the white grout is in? Also, our undercab lights aren't in and that will probably make it look less grey, right? Although, don't want to always have the lights on to like my tile :( I planned on painting the adjoining eating area a creamy yellow and that would probably look yuck with this grey looking tile. I also bought this pendants that aren't installed yet. Will they look horrible?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1981411}}

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Seems like you want white ceramic tile if white-white is what you want. With glass, you're probably not going to get it. Personally, I think it looks great.

As far as the color - the light you have currently looks none too good, so you can't judge much of anything at all. With the exception of a portion of the left base cabinet in that picture, nothing there looks white either. As someone else pointed out, neither does the white light cover that sits there with the tiles.

If you're going to hate it, change it out to the ceramic. Personally, I think the glass you have currently looks much more refined than do most ceramic tiles.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Oh, don't change it! It looks so beautiful and sophisticated. Pure white would be too stark and frankly, I think would look uninspired. They grey is so soft (I'd call it Oyster) and really looks stunning. White grout might lighten it a bit more to your liking, but it really is a great choice.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

I would not change it...it looks great!!!
    As lightlystarched pointed out, consider using white grout.

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you lightlystarched - you're making me feel so much better :)

Yep Laurie, white grout is what is being used (tomorrow!). Hoping it helps.

mindstorm - you're right. The lighting in the pic is awful and the surrounding walls aren't painted, so it's hard to tell what's white. I wish you could see it in real life :)

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

oh, it looks awesome. don't do a thing! enjoy!

• sailormann
    15 years ago

It looks like the ideal tile to me. You have to remember that you've been working very closely with all these things for a while and sometimes it's difficult to take a step back and look at them objectively. They will look lighter when the lights are in. Your choice of lighting will affect their colour as well. If you want that very (sterile Looking) almost blue-white then use cool white fluorescent or LED undercabinet lights. You can get both of those in dimmable versions.

Me - I like it a lot and I think it's going to look wonderful with a warm incandescent or halogen bulb giving it a welcoming sparkle. Good choice !

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

I like it. The tile guy maybe could've used a different mortar to give it a different look, but it would never be WHITE-WHITE. It's made out of sand. You're going to have some color in there.

I agree that white grout will probably lighten the look. You may need to re-evaluate your paint color, but not that fabulous pendant! Can you share where you found it?

And if it helps any, yellow and grey are very "in" right now.

Design Sponge

some blog I found on google

another random blog

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for the links smilingjudy! You just made my day. Maybe I'm actually hip and didn't know it. So you think the pendant will look OK? I found it on Ballarddesign BTW :)
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Lighting/Pendant-Lights/Petite-Westport-Pendant/p/7957?path=1%2C2%2C1467%2C1532&iProductID=7957

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

What metals will you have in the room?, I'm not sure this pendant will go with the cool tones I see already, it has bronze trim on it.

btw, I really love your backsplash.

• deegw
    15 years ago

First off - I think your tile looks great. But, I understand your disappointment if it isn't what you wanted. I don't know a lot about colory theory but I think white grout is going to emphasize the color difference, not make the tile look more white. When you envisioned your backsplash, did you see solid white tile and grout or did you see the individual bricks? I think your vision of the kitchen should influence what grout color you choose.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

No...they are not white....but they ARE perfect!! I absolutly LOVE the color. The gray is such a nice tie between the white cabinets and the dark countertop. I don't think I'd have liked white nearly as much. What color thinset did your contractor use? If he did not use white, that could account for the gray look. But then you have to decide....if he did it wrong, do you want him to do it over? Personally, I'd consider it a happy accident. The color is perfect.

• paigeysmom
    15 years ago

If you're worried about the color of the pendant lights not working with the gray and white you could get the clear version of that pendant that has a silver rim. I really loved those pendants too. Its looking great, but I know its frustrating when things don't turn out quite as you envisioned them.

• joann23456
    15 years ago

The tile isn't pure white, but it's gorgeous! Can you tell me where you got it?

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Crikey, Sarahfina, that tile is perfect! I'd call this one of those Happy Accidents. Cool, sophisticated, just all around awesome.

(Can you tell that I like it?)

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about it. It's not what I enviosioned but maybe I need to accept it because it's not bad and probably is better than all white.

joann23456- thank you :) The tile is by Daltile in Ice White and I ordered it through Color Tile. Here's a link -
    http://daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?series=82

paigeysmom - thanks for the tip. I thought of exchanging it too but I was thinking maybe the green? I wanted the pendants to have a color since there really is non (except grey, LOL) going on right now.

ccoombs1 - thank you for the compliment. He used white thinset and the back of the tiles have a white paper on them. It's weird how if I hold a tile up it looks white but onces it on, looks grey. I think the cabinets are creating dark shadows on them and the undercab lights will lighten it up. I hope :)

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Sara: I think your backsplash is beautiful! I agree that it was a good accident. I really love your pendants! I wish I would have found those for my kitchen. Good luck!
    Barb

• debsan
    15 years ago

Sara,
    I have to join the dogpile. I love it. While, I totally sympathize with the feeling of not getting what you had in mind, I think this is a happy-accident. It is has a very high-end look. It's clean and sophisticated. I think that tone-on-tone look is even better than the monochromatic look. I've attached a link to someone with a white kitchen, who was rethinking having white tiles. If you're interested, you can read what others had to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another white-white kitchen.

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link to the pendant. They've added some new inventory since I last searched lights at Ballard. Some great new stuff out there! I have to find 2 pendants, 2 sconces, and something for the dining room that all work together but not matchy-matchy. eek! Suffice it to say, I've been paralyzed by this decision.

If you're unsure about the pendant, hold it up next to the tiles (after grout) and take a pic. I'm sure we'll all let you know what we think. :)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I think it looks really good. Can't wait to see it all up.

• cbfromga
    15 years ago

It doesn't look gray to me--it's definitely an off-white but not gray. I think it looks great.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Sarafina2008:

Here's my .02 cents worth on your glass tile -

most glass tiles have a colored backing that helps to give
    the specific color - a unique "look". It's hard for me to
    pic this out from your picture, but it looks to me like the
    tile has not been grouted yet (at least in the picture that is)
    The grout color will have a lot to do with the finished "look"
    of the work - especially with a glass tile, because there's
    a "backing" that usually does not go over onto the sides.
    This backing adds color and/or texture to the tile - giving
    it the "depth" that is so attractive.

One thing that can have an impact on the finished "look" of
    the work - is the kind of mortar or adhesive that is used
    to install the tiles. Many glass tile manufacturers insist
    that the tile setter use ONLY the approved adhesive - usually
    sold by the tile company that makes the glass tile. This
    sounds like a gimmick to many people, however, here's why
    it's important to understand the significance of the "backing":
    many of the coatings on the back of a glass tile will
    react with various cement based mortars, so the glass tile
    manufacturer will specify a special adhesive to be used to
    install the glass tiles that will NOT react with the coating
    on the back of the glass tiles.....

with that said - I have two questions for about your project:

1. Did your tile setter use the approved setting material/adhesive
    that the glass tile manufacturer recommended?

2. If the answer to question 1 is "no" - did your tile
    setter use Gray Thinset mortar to set the galss tiles?

If the answer to question 2 is "yes" - this is most likely why the "white" tiles look grey.
    Grey thinset mortar will make any clear or translucent material look darker than it is. If
    your tile setter used a mastic adhesive, this could also be why
    the color looks "grey". Most mastics look yellow or greyish
    white when they are cured.

The fact that you have jet black countertops next to the white
    tiles can be a factor too, as many of the folks offering their
    own thoughts have pointed out.

My bottom line is this -

I think that your tile looks great, but YOU are the one that
    has to live with it in your home - not me... You'll need to
    do a "gut check" to see if you can adapt and live with
    the look of the white-now-grey looking glass tile.

Personally - I'd leave it, and grout it with a delorean grey
    joint filler to make the white "pop", however, IF you have any left over tiles,
    I'd do a test piece - maybe 12" x 12"
    and try different grout colors to see which one looks best
    to you. Just remember to wash out the grout on the test
    piece before it has a chance to set up. Take some JPEG pics
    of each test, and then decide which one makes you
    hear the angel choir singing "AHhhhhhhhhhhh"

ALSO - BIG IMPORTANT SUGGESTION -
    RED ALERT - WARNING - RED ALERT -
    WHOOOP WHOOOP WHOOOOOOOOP:

When you grout - MAKE SURE
    that your tile setter uses a joint filler that will NOT scratch
    the glass tiles.

Many glass tiles will SCRATCH when SANDED grout is applied!!!!

IF it is a SANDED Joint Filler - this is used in joints that
    are 1/8" wide or wider.

"Dry Grout" which does NOT have sand in it - is used in joints
    that are 1/8" wide or narrower. IF you use a "Dry Grout"
    in a joint wider than 1/8" - is will shrink too much and
    show lots of little cracks in the joint.

Talk this over with your Tile Setter to see which one will
    work best for you. Again - do a test on a tile to see of sanded
    joint filler will scratch it.

Then - I would think - you'll be able to sleep well at night!!!

I know I would ........... ;-)

Hope that helps ya

kevin

Kevin M. Padden
    Fabricator, Trainer & Consultant to the Natural Stone Industry
    www.azschoolofrock.com

• Freda
    15 years ago

I was so impressed with the color of the tile that I had to post to tell you that I really like the gray tile(looks gray on my computer) and think it is a lot nicer than the pure white would have been. Ties in your cabinet and granite. From someone who has been freaking out about her dark cabinets that are being installed.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

I too think the grey looks soooooo much better than white would have - and if you want to use warm metal tones you could make that yellow accent more of a gold color.

Here are some fabrics I found on Calico Corners website that have greys and yellow/golds - beautiful!

{{gwi:1981419}}
    {{gwi:1981420}}
    {{gwi:1981421}}
    {{gwi:1981422}}
    {{gwi:1981423}}
    {{gwi:1981424}}

think pewter and aged brass...

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

Another vote favoring it.

Any more 'white' and you would have lost contrast. Then either the cabinet white or the tile white would have looked "off". Matching whites is impossible.

The contrast looks just right to me.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    15 years ago

I'm with the folks who think that it you keep these tiles, you may want a gray-ish grout. . If you do have the opportunity to test a few different grouts before the final whole job, I'd do so. The white grout does not seem like it will make the tiles look whiter--and will make the pattern of tile very prominent. This can look good and pick up the cabinet color--but I'm thinking the finished product will look somewhat like what you've got with the spacers now. A darker grout might make the tile look whiter or give a more monochrome look. Anyway, the point is that I can't see how white grout will make the glass tile look whiter, and may have just the opposite effect from what you want.

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great tips.

Kevin - I'll ask the tile guy when he gets here to confirm the color/type of thinset he's using. I do know the grout is unsanded and the gaps are 1/16. They look bigger in the pics though - maybe shadows? Anyway, the interesting thing is I had originally ordered a light grey grout and then changed the order to white grout. I'll ask if he can do a test area with the white to see how it looks - great idea! I love this board.

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pepper07 - thank you for the CC swatches. I do need to order fabric for some roman shades so that gives me some great ideas :)

• moegaff
    15 years ago

I think your tile looks great---there is a nice contrast between your cabinets and countertop. I think going with a glass tile gives you that "translucent" effect more than a ceramic tile which is more "opaque". I know it may be disappointing to you, but I think it may be one of those things that after a few days and when it's all finished you will like the look. I still remember when I repainted my kitchen and thought the color was way too dark (it really wasn't, I was just used to seeing the ugly wallpaper for years!) I finally after a few days realized that I actually liked it!
    Good luck and don't stress, your kitchen looks beautiful!

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Under that lighting they do look gray, but it could be a trick of lighting. It appears to be in shadow. I think undercabinet lights and white grout will make it look different, maybe more white. Are they transparent or translucent? If you still don't like it after you have the correct color lighting, you could always have them etched for a frosted look. You could even etch a pattern into them.
    Clare

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A little update: Tile guy is here. I expressed my concern to him that the tile looks grey now that it's up. He agreed and thinks it's the lighting and shadows. I only have cans in right now and still need the undercabs, pendants and some rope lighting in the alcove of the ceiling to be put in, so hopefully all that will make a difference. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, but it really is pretty in real life. He held up a couple white options for grout and I can already tell it will make a difference once that's done. Grey grout is definitely out as it's just darker than the tile and doesn't look good to me. He's going to test a couple different whites for me. I probably should have waited to have the tile done after everything else, but we're having a chimeny hood put in and I wanted tile to run up the wall behind it and didn't want to wait a long time for the hood. I miss being able to cook! Anyway, if you're still reading this, sorry so long. Just thought I'd chat while I'm waiting for the tile to be done :)

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Please post pictures after the grout is done...a close up like the one you did before, then step back and take one from a little more distance. It will be fun to see how it turns out : )

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will post updated pics as the kitchen gets done. Tile guy ran out of tile so we needed to order more. Every step of this remodel has had a problem, so it didn't surprise me at all. Was also supposed to get the sink hooked up today abut the plumber flaked. ARGH!!!

Does anyone think my tile looks like this kitchen? I can't figure out how to copy a pic, so it's below...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1981418}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That tile is a lot more creamy/yellow on my monitor. I like yours much better.

We've pretty much all been there with the delays. I'm going on my 11th month without a stove and there are some here that have been stuck in remodeling limbo for years. It will get done, though.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

That tile, from the Brothers and Sisters kitchen, is a sage green ceramic. I don't think that looks anything like what your tile looks like. I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for??

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking the same but someone sent me that pic and thought it looked like mine. I've seen it before and love the kitchen - wish mine looked like it. I thought it looked yellowy on TV though, not green. It's glass though, right?

OMG, almost a year without a stove? I don't think I could last that long. It's been a few months for me and I'm climbing the walls! Never thought I would get so sick of going out to eat or getting takeout.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Is it glass? I thought it was ceramic. I'll have to watch on Sunday night and hope they have a kitchen scene. I do love that kitchen also. It's a great space!

• redroze
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure the Brothers and Sisters kitchen has a glazed subway tile. Check out this link on the kitchen.

I really like how they did the metal ledge above the range. I think I just may borrow that idea.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Well, Serafina, I love the slightly grey look of your tiles . . . very chic and interesting with your black and white. I was going to mention what smilingjudy did . . . that magazines etc. are showing a lot of gray and yellow together and have been for a year or so. I know because I was looking for gray carpeting and have had fits finding it. I can't figure out why I see it everywhere except the carpet stores!

I know how hard it is to readjust your vision when you have a picture in mind. I've had to do it on several issues in this house, and it's HARD. I suspect most home-builders/remodelers run into this at one level or another. A couple of mine have been pretty big "levels" and I've had a real struggle: Learn to like it or spend literally thousands of $$ to change it.

Only you can make that decision, but I think the color combination you have going is going to be very WOW.

Arlene

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

This may be old news but I was reading the past threads and came across yours. I LOVE your tile color. On my monitor it looks just like the picture you asked about. And neither look "grey" to me, more an ecru or off white. In any case, I think it looks extremely sophisticated and very wonderful. The slight contrast between the tile color and cabinets adds depth and interest and is very lovely. I agree with someone who said it was a happy accident. I would embrace this subtle change to your original vision and accept this gift of an elegant look. Everything is so complementary and pleasant to the eye. Breaking up the white is what you need and this does it so, SO well.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

the B&S tile is definitely glazed ceramic. it looks nothing like glass... btw, i think yours looks great. the "white" glass tile (unless opaque) is somewhat translucent and will take on other colors in the room. i saw a thread i think in the bathroom forum (sorry, can't recall who it belonged to) and they said the floors were "white" glass tile. well, they were gorgeous and they were GREEN. which was the color of the walls.

• sarafina2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! We've had ANOTHER setback - the tiler finished installing all the tile and I noticed some of the tile looks totally different, much white than the rest. Now they're ordering more to re-do it and we have to wait longer to have our hood installed. I swear the problems with this kitchen never end. It's coming along though and I'm hoping it will all be done by Christmas. Althought if you asked me a few months ago, I would have sworn it would have been done by thanksgiving. I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle though. I'll post pics when it's done :)

• missleah
    15 years ago

I think what happened is that the backer board used on the wall is a greyish color and when you put white glass on grey you get a greyish look. The only thing you can do is try to love it and rest assured everyone else loves it so that is good, try to add some different colors now to your kitchen to pick up the grey or you can go with white subway tile and start over, but this is way expensive to do unless you really had your heart set on the white look. I want to do white subway tiles but if this happened to me I think I would live with it for about a year or two and then save money to have someone re-do it down the road if it bothered me enough. Good luck to you - don't lose sleep - it really does look modern and nice.