SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Feeling sick about new floor transition

janeway452
9 years ago

I'm just finishing my kitchen/FR renovation and the finishing touch was to have the old parquet in the kitchen replaced with matching hardwood in the adjoining FR (which was refinished at the same time). When the floor guy looked at the job a couple of months ago he said he would tear out the parquet. When he showed up 2 weeks ago he says he'll save me $575 by just laying the new floor over the parquet and showed me the piece of wood for the transition. The refrigerator was already moved out. So after about 5 minutes to think about it and I don't think he explained just exactly what it would look like or function. So they laid the
new white oak that matched pretty good the FR, installed the 3/4" high 1 1/2" wide transition at the door to the LR (the darker hardwood runs perpendicular--easier to see) and at the middle of the room (where parquet met smoothly the FR room addition.) When they were done it looked okay, they did a good job refinishing the old and the new looked nice. Then they moved the refrigerator back. By that evening I knew it was horribly wrong. That transition, in reality, is relatively steep and slippery right in the middle of the room. The refrigerator door is inches from the transition and I found it crazy to try to juggle taking items out of the refrigerator while "watching my step." The floor cold air return (recessed wood grate is on order) is also inches from the transition, the end of the peninsula, which you walk around into the FR is also inches from the transition and it's just in the worst possible place for such a substantial transition in the middle of the room and a high traffic area. Last night I slipped on it in my sock feet. It's the same color and runs the same direction as the FR, so it's hard to see under any light conditions. Makes me think this is actually a dangerous situation (e.g. elderly + throw rugs) and since I plan to age in place, this will affect me. As for resale, I can just imagine this might be a deal breaker. I wish I could ask a realtor. Something I had not thought of is that you shouldn't have to "think" so much about your floor surface walking around the room. I had no idea it would be like this and I find it hard to believe the floor guy (in business for 30 years) didn't warn me.

So I called him and told him how unhappy I was with it. He came over and advised that by taking out the parquet I'd only gain 1/4" (which when you consider that the transition is 3/4" high that's fairly significant, I'd think). He seemed concerned that he'd be liable for the cost of removing the new floor, tearing up the parquet, relaying the new floor. I should have told him that I had been thinking that I knew it would cost me. So he came up with a solution (that he'd do for free) that at first I thought might be acceptable. But having time to think about it, and hoping you all can help evaluate, I don't want. He suggested bringing the new floor out a couple of feet and having a specially milled piece of wood (3/4" high, 6" wide (yikes! that seems really wide and noticeable in the middle of the room), and 1/8" at the end. This would put the transition further away from the high traffic area, and the transition wider and a more gentler slope. What do you think?

I'm going to call him shortly and propose this: tear up the new floor, tear up the parquet (and I'll dispose it), reuse the torn up new floor is possible, extending the new floor into the FR a couple of feet " like he suggested for the fix, and using a less steep transition (maybe 1/2" high, 2" or 2 1/2 or 3" wide, x 1/8"). I'm going to tell him that I understand that this shouldn't be totally at his expense and I'm willing to pay half (or what? any suggestions what would be fair?). I realize that there will be some kind of transition, but I want one that I can live with safely.

Do you think that I'm right that removing the old parquet and being able to set the 3/4" new floor down at least 1/4" will make a substantial difference (as well as moving the new floor out a couple of feet)? Expense, within reason, well worth it in the long run, instead of taking the "free" solution. Thanks for your thoughts and input. I really need help on this.

Comments (22)