SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_ending_gw

First run at floor plan...pic heavy

never_ending
13 years ago

I have been diligently reading, searching, studying, and analyzing what I need for this kitchen using GW as my guiding light. All I didn�t know, didn�t consider, and have seen created here humble me. I will admit I am a bit overwhelmed by the millions and gazillions ways cabinets can be configured for a space. I have worn myself out trying to re-configure a space that basically meets my needs but falls short on work surfaces.

I am posting 2 plans- my existing floor plan and a proposed change w/the fridge and what I plan on for the stove area. Neither DH and I are keen on moving the stove since the ductwork is already there (albeit in an ugly soffit) so I plan on removing a high pantry (24") by the stove and 2(9") base cabs and replace them with two 21"x 30"deep drawers on each side of the stove and wall cabinets to the counters.

My sink is a 48" self-rimming unit that is separate from the counters. I believe I will keep this, and as a fellow poster suggested, make that, and the window over it the focal point. My main prep most probably will be left of the window over the DW where the countertop has roughly 48" and is adjacent to the stove.

By moving the fridge over, I will lose counter space for coffee and snacks, but as the fridge sits now, up flush to the entrance, it seems huge, bulky, and overpowering. Which is more important? They both seem equally so, since the kitchen has a mish-mash of doors and entry�s, (none of which are able to be moved without major structural changes and upheaval ex. stairs, cellar, radiator and chimney). Being able to see around the fridge will add a visual continuity I think that will make this kitchen look more cohesive and less like Grand Central Station. I would like to put a shallow slim pantry along the out side of the fridge but that might not change the bulky feel though.

In addition, what I would like to achieve with this kitchen is a classic, upscale farmhouse look. I fell in love with Jenswrens wood counter. So I guess I am picturing a classic soft white shaker-type kitchen with glowing stained walnut counters.

As far as upper cabinets, I have left that area blank so I could get some opinions of what to do there. I have my own ideas but would like to get some unbiased ideas on how to configure the window wall to a more classic "built in" look for this old (c.1850) house without losing too much wall storage.

I would appreciate your fresh eyes and any pics you could throw at me. I am not looking for a major redo but feel the space could be so much more with the right plan, but then again�maybe not and it is already configured the best it can be�yikes I hope not! =D I hope you can make out the plan, they did not seem to copy well. =(

Existing-

Proposed-

Window wall-can see a tiny bit of fridge to right of window

{{gwi:1981251}}

{{gwi:1981252}}

Stove-

{{gwi:1981253}}

Comments (9)