SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaourika_gw

Going crazy trying to decide on this island!

kaourika
10 years ago

I'm planning a modern kitchen in my future strawbale house, and I'm stuck between a shorter island + peninsula layout (what I've been calling Scheme A), or a longer island with no peninsula (Scheme B).

Both schemes have no upper cabinets, but do have a floor to ceiling bank of cabinetry, which the fridge and wall oven is recessed into.

Scheme A is basically the layout I'd planned for from the beginning, and it looks pretty good on paper:

BUT... once the house was being constructed and I started doing physical mockups of where the cabinetry would go, that peninsula just seemed pointless and arbitrarily placed. It's just this nearly 10' long strip of counter top that is totally outside the work triangle, will NEVER get used for any sort of prep work or anything, and is just generally kind of... there. In the way.

It currently houses a 2nd sink and an undercounter fridge, which I do want, but I couldn't help but feel there's a better way to place them.

Also, with that bar sink all the way over there, I couldn't use it to fill and drain water pots from the stove.

I've had people come in, see my cardboard box mockups, and give me polar opposite opinions ("you should eliminate this peninsula, it really closes the space off" and "no you need it there, you'll need all the storage you can get since you don't have any upper cabinets"), so that ain't helping!

Scheme B is one of those trendy, modern galley-inspired layouts with a super long island:

I'm going for something like this:

Modern Kitchen by Boston Architects & Designers ZeroEnergy Design

Modern Kitchen by West Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators HALLIDAY DESIGN

The problems:

-This does create a possible traffic flow into the living room on the "north", opening things up a bit, but the pathway is so narrow that I'm not sure I'm really making things any better.

-The island needs to intersect with the support beam ( I don't want the beam just floating randomly), which is limiting the shape of the island. (If not for that, I'd take a hybrid approach and eliminate the peninsula but make the island just a little bit longer to fit in my bar sink and fridge)

-The symmetry of the whole area is getting thrown off. That might be okay. I can't decide. This home is definitely going to be finished in a more modern style, so the asymmetry could work.

If I was just building a kitchen floating in white space, I'd pick B. But, I'm also building a house attached to this kitchen, and I think A is maybe better suited to the house. Right now, though, they're both looking pretty awkward to me. So, any advice is greatly appreciated! General layout advice unrelated to the islands is also welcome.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths