SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Glass doors and locks (...in the kitchen!)

artemis78
13 years ago

This is very OT, but since I can't figure out whether it really fits in any of the GW forums and it's *in* our kitchen....thought I'd try here!

In our current kitchen, we have a glass door that's more than put its time in (may be the original door, based on blueprint notes!) We were lucky to find one exactly the right size in a similar style at a local salvage yard, so we're replacing it, and also the hardware. When we first moved in, our neighborhood police officer drilled in the importance of putting in a double deadbolt (keyed from both sides) because of the glass door, which we did. However, as we get ready to buy the new hardware, I'm wondering if this is overkill.

Reasons to get it are, mainly, that we live in a transitional neighborhood that does have property crime issues, and periodic break-ins. Having the double deadbolt is supposed to make it more difficult for someone to actually get in once they've smashed the glass. However, it's worth noting that we have two 4' high double-hung windows next to our door at easy climbing level, and the one time there was a break-in (when the PO lived here), that's how the guy got in.

Reasons not to get another double cylinder lock are that it's a pain in the neck---frequently it doesn't get locked b/c no one can find the key---and in theory it could be a safety hazard if you had to try to find the key in the middle of the night to get out (but again, two easy-to-climb-through windows are right there, so we're not too worried about this in reality). The double cylinder locks are also more expensive, especially since I have my heart set on a vintage-style lock set. We do have an alarm and a big dog, so there are other deterrents to would-be burglars.

I know the official pros/cons of doing this (emergency access concerns, crime prevention, etc. etc.) so I guess I'm just looking for more anecdotal thoughts---seems like I see a lot of glass doors (sliding, french or otherwise) in kitchens. What kind of lock setups do you all have? Are these mostly patio/backyard doors, or do any of you use them as primary doors?

If it matters, our door is the primary entry to and from the house for us and is in our back yard, so to get to it you would have to go through our gate and around to the back of the house. For better or worse, the door is also visible from many other homes (our property backs up to condos with balconies).

What do people think---is having a double cylinder lock wise/prudent, or is it unlikely to make much difference one way or another in preventing a burglary? Thanks!

Comments (8)