SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20097967

Does an 11-inch wide cabinet need to be a pull-out?

User
13 years ago

To the left of my refrigerator I will have a narrow stack of three cabinets to the ceiling, all 11" wide and 28" deep. The lowest is intended for broom/step-stool storage. The middle one and upper ones are about 24" and 16" tall respectively. They're face-frame with inset doors, making the openings narrower still.

I have no idea what I'll store in the upper two. (They were planned mostly in the interests of symmetry and to facilitate the swing of the fridge doors, not because I had a pressing need for them.) Cookie sheets make sense, except that I already have space for those, in the baking area, across the kitchen. Large platters are a possibility, but I don't own very many.

The original plan called for the broom cabinet and the middle cab to be pull-outs, with the broom one built like a big drawer box on its side so that I could mount hooks and racks to the back as needed. It sounded cool, but rather too pricey for someone who was really just looking for a place to put a broom.

Now we're questioning whether to pay for the pull-outs after all. Will such narrow cabinets be totally dysfunctional otherwise?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner