SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilsarsf

Remodeling a small kitchen - what order should I decide things?

LSSF
9 years ago

Hi!

I finally took the plunge and all the prior cabinets and flooring are out of my kitchen. It is a 70s built apartment - lots of "warm" honey-colored wood in the main room next to the kitchen. My style runs from Mid-century to 70s, for sure. And colors like saffron, burnt oranges, fucsias, wines, mediterranean blues, etc.

After much internal debating plus a lot of advice from you all (THANK YOU!!), I have figured out:
- The shape (U) of my fairly dark, 8'x12' kitchen
- The placement and type of cabinets (cherry with some glass -amber or tempered/frosted - on certain ones).

But now I am stuck on:
1. Finding the "right" color for quartz countertop AND

2. When to pick/ what the material the floor should be AND

3. What material/ when to pick a backsplash!

I would like some thing pretty simple - and I am staying away from greys or whites.... I am more drawn to the "warmer" colors.

Question:
Should I pick the countertop on faith (I am between two) and wait for it to be installed to see how it looks, then worry about the floor color and type?
Do I need to know them both at the same time?

I am having a hard time visualizing it all together (and driving my contractor crazy, I am sure).

For the floor, I originally was hoping for marmoleum, but I cannot find any I like. I love the idea of cork, but not the look. I don't want to put wood in a kitchen b/c of the water, tile seems cold and hard, and slate I LOVE but seems hard to clean/keep clean b/c of the ridges.

Help? THANK YOU!

Comments (9)